Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: New Ruger Precision Rifle .308/6.5 Creedmoor/.243

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Tagged. I have been wanting a 6.5CM version

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    So, I slogged through a 50+ page thread devoted to this rifle over at Sniper's Hide. Unfortunately I'm going to hold off on the gun, at least for now. While there are many happy users, there are an unfortunate number of complaints cropping up on a few issues -- namely, bad crowns leading to poor accuracy, handguards that won't stay straight, the plastic bolt shroud breaking, and finally good initially accuracy followed by rapid fouling (repeatable after cleaning). Some people are also complaining about the safety feeling sloppy, but I personally don't care about that as long as it works. A few of the people pointing out problems seem particularly savvy, so it's hard to pass it off as people who can't shoot blaming the rifle. One guy who is in close contact with Ruger engineers reports that they are literally "losing sleep" over the issues.

This is good and bad. It's bad because it confirms that buying a rifle will be hit or miss at this point in time, and good because it means the current issues are likely to be solved in the future. The formula they have is a winner -- properly executed, it seems unbeatable for the price. I'm sure people who are getting rifles made on fresh tooling are extremely happy. I just don't want to play the hit or miss game right now. Obviously I have no first hand experience and am just summarizing a thread on another forum, so what I'm saying isn't infallible. And even if it were, you can of course buy one of these guns, and if it happens to not shoot well, I'm sure Ruger will check it out and replace your barrel if necessary (or you can get it re-crowned if that's the problem). If that process seems acceptable to you, don't let this discourage you.
    Last edited by a0cake; 09-18-15 at 03:42.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by a0cake View Post
    So, I slogged through a 50+ page thread devoted to this rifle over at Sniper's Hide. Unfortunately I'm going to hold off on the gun, at least for now. While there are many happy users, there are an unfortunate number of complaints cropping up on a few issues -- namely, bad crowns leading to poor accuracy, handguards that won't stay straight, the plastic bolt shroud breaking, and finally good initially accuracy followed by rapid fouling (repeatable after cleaning). Some people are also complaining about the safety feeling sloppy, but I personally don't care about that as long as it works. A few of the people pointing out problems seem particularly savvy, so it's hard to pass it off as people who can't shoot blaming the rifle. One guy who is in close contact with Ruger engineers reports that they are literally "losing sleep" over the issues.

This is good and bad. It's bad because it confirms that buying a rifle will be hit or miss at this point in time, and good because it means the current issues are likely to be solved in the future. The formula they have is a winner -- properly executed, it seems unbeatable for the price. I'm sure people who are getting rifles made on fresh tooling are extremely happy. I just don't want to play the hit or miss game right now. Obviously I have no first hand experience and am just summarizing a thread on another forum, so what I'm saying isn't infallible. And even if it were, you can of course buy one of these guns, and if it happens to not shoot well, I'm sure Ruger will check it out and replace your barrel if necessary (or you can get it re-crowned if that's the problem). If that process seems acceptable to you, don't let this discourage you.
    Seems like a normal amount of problems for a first gen firearm. Thanks for the research!
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    I held one in .308 the other day. Would love to have on in 6.5 cm eventually, but I've learned the hard way not to be an early adopter. It makes you wonder why Remington hasn't done something like this at this price point.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)

Thanks for the info. Like others here, I also would like one in 6.5CM, but I have a strict policy of not purchasing a new gun within the first year or so. Hopefully the issues will be ironed out by then.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you want a 6.5 CM, you can always just buy a used rem bolt gun and re-barrel. The price point of this gun on par with that. It's the 6.5CM round that is worth the most.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    SOne guy who is in close contact with Ruger engineers reports that they are literally "losing sleep" over the issues.

This is good and bad. It's bad because it confirms that buying a rifle will be hit or miss at this point in time, and good because it means the current issues are likely to be solved in the future. The formula they have is a winner -- properly executed, it seems unbeatable for the price. I'm sure people who are getting rifles made on fresh tooling are extremely happy. I just don't want to play the hit or miss game right now.
    Without a comparable bolt gun, I think it still makes sense for me to hop into the hit/miss game, as even if I get a total miss I wouldn't be adverse to throwing a custom barrel and handguard at it, and if need be machining my own aluminum bolt shroud... but that's the angle where I'm coming at it from - to me it's a $4000 weapon system after optics/mount/bipod/sling/Ti-Can so I wouldn't really blink at having to spent that kind of money to sort it out, but for somebody having to save to put together this as a $2000 system and having either of those problems, it's a deal-breaker.

The tooling age thing really sounds likely, as it probably was engineered around lower likelihood of tolerance stacking that what the production demands have been - but that should be as simple as spending a bit more per rifle on QA/Metrology after figuring out which are the really key dimensions and they'll have a real winner.

I also really want this to succeed because a scaled up long action version of this would also be awesome, but for that to really work they'd need to sort out these kinds of issues mentioned - the peaches among these sound really impressive, and if they were all that good nobody would care if the street price floated up $50/rifle, which is probably what it would take to get pickier about tooling and a few key dimensional variance points.
    عندما تصبح الأسلحة محظورة, قد يملكون حظرون عندهم فقط
    کله چی سلاح منع شوی دی، یوازي غلوونکۍ یی به درلود
    Semper Fi
    "Being able to do the basics, on demand, takes practice. " - Sinister

Feedback Score

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011