Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Case lube- for seating die

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcoodyar15 View Post
    first thing I will say is you don't want any lube in that seating die. It will eventually gum up the works. If you have been using that die with lubed cases then you need to disassemble the die and clean it well.

I am a little crazy about my brass. I use an ultrasonic because I want the brass clean inside and out and the primer pockets shiny. I then size. Then I tumble in clean media to remove the sizing lube and shine up the brass. that tumble cleans out the necks. Then you have to clean the media out of the primer pockets and flash hole. I have a brass prep station and just use the flash hole deburring/flash hole uniformer to clean the media out. it has all sizes of neck brushes mounted on it so I hit the neck with a brush as the final step.

on my bolt guns I use a lee collet neck sizer no lube is required. saves a bunch of work.
    Have you experimented with dry case lube inside the neck and compared group size with rounds loaded without case lube during seating?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    Have you experimented with dry case lube inside the neck and compared group size with rounds loaded without case lube during seating?
    I use dry case lube in the neck but I am assuming that my brass cleaning process eliminates it by the time I am bullet seating.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by texasgunhand View Post
    I thought you were supposed to brush the neck to get the carbin out becouse it can let the bullet slip like graphite. I cant imagine lubricating the inside of case necks then.
    texasgunhand

Many competitive shooters do not like cleaning the cases with stainless steel media or any other cleaning method that removes the carbon from the inside of the case neck. And if you read the link posted above from Accurate Shooter you will see why target/benchrest shooters do not like squeaky clean necks.

For the average shooter with a AR15 carbine I think it doesn't matter, BUT it "might" with my heavy barrel .223 bolt action. My problem is I'm 65, have chronologically gifted eyesight, drink too much coffee and need laser guided bullets.
    Last edited by bigedp51; 07-21-15 at 12:15.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just skimmed the article,i will go back and read it. I drifted to reading some other stuff there.

Next time i load some 6mm or 30.06 i will try some of both clean and dirty seems interesting.

This is getting off topic sorta, do you think it would make any difference in pistol (9mm,.45)?

Since neck tension is important in the ar15 , since the bullet can slip forward into the bore during the auto loading process and couse a overpressure kaboom, i brush mine, but in bolt action maybe it could help a bit. Be worth doing some experiments..been shooting a lot on 9mm and now the rimfire again. 100 yard rimfire is the worst addiction ever.
    Last edited by texasgunhand; 07-22-15 at 00:32.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12