Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Precision Armament EFAB vs. 'New' AFAB Hybrid Muzzle Brake???

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomac View Post
    Any idea why PA says crush washers are verboten?
    Tomac
    From the web site:

Crush washers are perfectly acceptable to use on any open aperture muzzle device, such as the standard A2 birdcage flash hider. However, our opinion is they should never be used on any baffle style muzzle device where the clearance hole is only slightly larger than the bullet. Firstly, crush washers come to a knife edge on both mating surfaces - it is likely for this reason that a muzzle device is already misaligned just sitting on the crush washer before it is even torqued down. More importantly, it relies on the principle that the washer will deform uniformly while it is being crushed. This requires that the material is uniform and that you apply a perfectly pure torque load normal to the bore. This is very unlikely (for anyone who has installed one) when you're putting all your might into the 30-60 ft-lbs of torque they often require. The consequence of this misalignment is a baffle strike at worse and impaired accuracy at best.

We recommend our Accu-Washer Shim System for installation as they alleviate both of these issues providing the highest safety and performance from your device. Also, a peel washer or any precision multi-shim system are also perfectly acceptable methods for aligning your muzzle device.

Also consider that crush washers have the capacity to deform further beyond your install. So, if you happen to hit the muzzle on something with enough force you may permanently angle your device to the side killing your accuracy or worse: rendering the rifle useless.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomac View Post
    Any idea why PA says crush washers are verboten?
    Tomac
    Likely due to tight machining tolerances; same reason as suppressor companies use...

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by plouffedaddy View Post
    Likely due to tight machining tolerances; same reason as suppressor companies use...

Bingo, Mike. Bingo.

They're bad for any enclosed, precision muzzle device. I suspect BC's spat of muzzle baffle strikes is due to the use of crush washers...
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Also, I'm interested to see one of your always-entertaining videos of your impressions of the EFAB.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

Feedback Score
    Sorry for the necropost, but looking at getting one of these for my 16" SR15. These have been around for a few years now, and I'm wondering what users' feedback and experiences are between the two? From what I've read, there shouldn't be too much difference considering it is going on a 16" rifle. Is this the case, or is the EFAB noticeably superior than the AFAB on a 16" rifle?

I'm dissapointed in the closed tine warcomp that I'm currently running.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by morpheus562 View Post
    Sorry for the necropost, but looking at getting one of these for my 16" SR15. These have been around for a few years now, and I'm wondering what users' feedback and experiences are between the two? From what I've read, there shouldn't be too much difference considering it is going on a 16" rifle. Is this the case, or is the EFAB noticeably superior than the AFAB on a 16" rifle?

I'm dissapointed in the closed tine warcomp that I'm currently running.
    I have owned both and just installed a newer AFAB on a buddy's gun that I built for him.

They both work fantastically well but I say go AFAB for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I currently own both. They are both on 14.5's. I really can't tell the difference in performance in flash suppression or recoil mitigation.

I am happy with both.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BufordTJustice View Post
    I have owned both and just installed a newer AFAB on a buddy's gun that I built for him.

They both work fantastically well but I say go AFAB for the price.

I pick up the EFAB after reading some of your reviews on the EFAB and AFAB. I honestly went for the EFAB over the AFAB base on looks and whatever slight improvement it had over the AFAB. It performs as great as it looks IMO, I love and don't regret spending the extra coin.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    How does either the EFAB or AFAB compare to the Precision Armament M4-72? The latter won the muzzle break shoot off competition. It is loud, is that your only objection? Also, the issue of being a flash hider is going to be in the eyes of California law enforcement (I understand the OP is in CA). A LEO walking up to where ever you are shooting may not be up on all the subtle points and this thing has three spikes and certainly looks like a flash hider. If it is not according to the ATF, you might still be involved in a courtroom setting establishing this. And maybe an Appeals Court. California is going case by case, device by device.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    How does either the EFAB or AFAB compare to the Precision Armament M4-72? The latter won the muzzle break shoot off competition. It is loud, is that your only objection? Also, the issue of being a flash hider is going to be in the eyes of California law enforcement (I understand the OP is in CA). A LEO walking up to where ever you are shooting may not be up on all the subtle points and this thing has three spikes and certainly looks like a flash hider. If it is not according to the ATF, you might still be involved in a courtroom setting establishing this. And maybe an Appeals Court. California is going case by case, device by device.
    Loud doesn't fully or accurately describe the M4-72. It really rattles you in a concussive and seismic way that neither the EFAB not AFAB do. Part of this is bone conduction (and I see exactly zero people talking about this), which is where the physical vibrations in the air are SO intense that they literally shake your body/bone structure.

Then there is the absurdly intense localized pressure wave that will, literally, clear your sinuses.

A 16" barrel with an open baffled brake like that is significantly less pleasant to shoot (or to have as a range neighbor) than a 10.5" SBR with no muzzle device.

The improvement in recoil reduction of the M4-72 (and brakes of like design such as SF, Lantac Dragon, SiCo, etc) is far too small to warrant the exponential increase in full spectrum signature (blast, audible report, flash, etc) and shooter discomfort to warrant their use on an uncovered muzzle.

Granted, I use the SiCo triple port brake on my 11.5" SBR. However, ONLY to act as a sacrificial blast baffle for my SiCo SpecWar 566. The can lives on the gun. I only shot it once without the can and it was fu**ing stupid. Even outside with double ear pro.

The AFAB and EFAB have essentially invalidated virtually every other brands on the market for any non competitive use because they actually DELIVER on their promised flash performance and are virtually indistinguishable from am A2 unless indoors. And even then they're the best/least-blasty brakes/comps on the market.

Their ONLY downside is they are expensive and relatively heavy.

The only other device (of which I am aware) that is in the same neighborhood is the KAC MAMS.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast