Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Kukri or machette ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Best Kukri or machette ?

I have some top end knives, now I'm looking for something a little larger. I have not seen much high end stuff in this category. I bought a SOG on sale for $20 and trashed the blade on an elk hunt clearing trees for a a clean shot downhill. It seemed like a decent knife but the steel didn't hold up.

I have checked out the Ka-bar and Ontario online, but have not felt or handled them. Any feedback appreciated.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have an old RTAK from Ontario. Not quite what I would call a machete, more a short sword, what with the 10 inch blade. But handy, and can spot as a machete, and has held up, and is oddly one of the sharper blades that I have. My only gripe with the RTAK is the smoothish grips, but I think the current gen RTAK II has textured g10 grips or something like that. Really should look to see if I can buy the grips separate.

Personal opinion, Ontario knives are better quality compared to most current K bar offerings I have handled. Personal opinion there before someone gets pissed, but I just have not been impressed with the K bars that I have played with in the past several years.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Are you looking for a tool to perform chopping and camping/hunting chores? The reason I ask is that you mentioned trashing the SOG on an Elk hunt. If that is the main purpose then I really love my Woodsman's Pal. It stays in my truck permanently! I'm in the woods a lot and couldn't see not bringing it when any type of clearing or chopping job is concerned.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    It really depends on your price range and size/weight desired. I really like the ESSE stuff because it's sharp, durable and comfortable. Even the smaller models seem to baton wood well, while the larger models still allowing you to prepare tinder for a fire. They're neither Kukri nor machete, but excellent field companions nonetheless.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I use a corn knife with wood handle and 14" blade when in the field. I sharpen the point and leading edge for defensive purposes. I carry it in a scabbard on the right side of my backpack. It's ok for cutting reeds and small tree branches to build a shelter.

If I feel the need to cut limbs off a tree, I use a ring saw. It is easy to carry and works well.

It might be easier to carry a ring saw and skinning knife than a large knife or machete.
    Last edited by T2C; 07-22-15 at 19:22.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    kabar is probably top quality...

though cold steel is probably best bang for buck.... $21 - http://amzn.to/1ehLNt2

Feedback Score
    Used an Ontario brand army navy store bought machete for 20 years worth of trail maintenance with excellent results.
    Held an edge surprisingly well. Looked just like the "Ontario 6145 Military Machete" available on amazon ~$25. Cheap-o handle would sting if you were trying to cut through large diameter hardwood.

Have used several others with poor results: won't hold an edge, poor weight/balance, even had one with some steel so soft it bent into an 'S' during use.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by soulezoo View Post
    I saw one on this site I like. Thanks. Anybody ever buy from them? Wondering what the quality of the steel is like.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    The ESEE Junglas is a pound and a half of 1095 awesomeness.
    To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society. --Theodore Roosevelt--

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast