Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Best Kukri or machette ?

Feedback Score
    I really wonder how many guys in the US of A really need/use a large knife {parang, bolo, klewang, matchet, machete}. The guy some pages back that referred to the Woodsman's Pal is on to it.

For the most part, let's face it, those that carry/use large knives in the US of A are looked at sideways by the guys "that know". It's one of those things that's "just not done".

But truth is, the large knife is the most practical tool a guy can have in the woods. Outclasses an ax or a hatchet by miles of usefulness. I carry and use my own home made versions on work managing my ranch here and on my hikes and hunting {24/7/365}. So the OP
    's question is legit.

Who actually makes the best?

I'm talking "factory/production" as mine are the best and I don't make them for sale.

So what IS the BEST out there, for all those stuck with paying cash for something vs making their own?

Last edited by EVR; 05-07-16 at 20:15.
    I accept with sincere belief the doctrine of faith as handed down to us from the Apostles by the orthodox Fathers, always in the same sense and with the same interpretation.
    Pope Pius X

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I am a big fan of the golok. I had a beauty when I was stationed in Asia.

And like an idiot, I gave it away when I left the military - sigh.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The JEST bolo is a good option and if you are looking for a higher end kukhri, the one made by RMJ tactical looks great.
    "Democracy is two Wolves and a Lamb discusing Whats for Dinner. Liberty is a well Armed Lamb willing to Contest The Majority Decision". Benjamin Franklin, 1755

Feedback Score
    Another vote for the Condor kukri. Used in weekly when stationed in Latin America. Economical, holds an edge great for cutting kindling. http://www.themachetestore.com/produ...kukri-machete/

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by EVR View Post
    I really wonder how many guys in the US of A really need/use a large knife {parang, bolo, klewang, matchet, machete}. The guy some pages back that referred to the Woodsman's Pal is on to it.

For the most part, let's face it, those that carry/use large knives in the US of A are looked at sideways by the guys "that know". It's one of those things that's "just not done".

But truth is, the large knife is the most practical tool a guy can have in the woods. Outclasses an ax or a hatchet by miles of usefulness. I carry and use my own home made versions on work managing my ranch here and on my hikes and hunting {24/7/365}. So the OP
    's question is legit.

Who actually makes the best?

I'm talking "factory/production" as mine are the best and I don't make them for sale.

So what IS the BEST out there, for all those stuck with paying cash for something vs making their own?

Nice looking blades. And the leather doesn't suck much either. Nice work.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    ESEE Junglas.
    /thread

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I am a big fan of the golok. I had a beauty when I was stationed in Asia. (
    I've got a Martindale No. 2 Golok that I picked up who knows where about 20 years ago. It was used when I got it and it's still going strong. I really like the weight and size of it. It has a permanent place in my BOB.
    Last edited by coastwatcher42; 05-22-16 at 21:49.
    "When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not Guilty." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck." ~ Colonel Jeff Cooper

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    How are the handles on it? Did you have to alter or sand them down?

The one I had was made in some back alley, but had handles of buffalo horn. They were perfect for me.

Wistful sigh......

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    How are the handles on it? Did you have to alter or sand them down?

The one I had was made in some back alley, but had handles of buffalo horn. They were perfect for me.

Wistful sigh......
    I haven't altered the handle and the only thing about it that I don't like is that it gets quite slippery when your hands sweat, kind of like the Ontario USGI machete (I have had these fly out of my hand more than once). It has a patina on it from use and it appears to have sealed the wood grain almost like a varnish. Little, if any, of the original finish is left. As I said, it was used when I got it and the previous owner may have sanded the handle...it's hard to tell. It was well taken care of when I got it but had obviously seen a lot of use. I used it a lot early on but not so much lately.

It's late and I just now realized why you mentioned sanding the handle. I'll try sanding it this weekend and see if that helps with the slippery grip issue.
    Last edited by coastwatcher42; 05-24-16 at 00:29.
    "When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not Guilty." ~ Theodore Roosevelt

"If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck." ~ Colonel Jeff Cooper

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    Terava Skrama

I've used it in the woods a few times, and it definitely can cut through thicker branches with ease.

It's lighter than axe, more cutting area than an axe, and there is an acute edge near the hilt for if you need to whittle.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/produ...on-steel/30189

Very interesting hybrid on a axe/machete hybrid.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast