Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122

Thread: HELP.... VP9 or PPQ?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
    Sorta on topic, but off comparison; anyone have the new long slide kit for the VP9? It looks cool, but I'm not sure it's worth whatever they want for it. I shoot the regular one quite well, its my most accurate striker fired 9mm, beating the G19 and the X Carry. Because it works well as is, any upgrades would be a huge luxury, but worth considering. I don't really EDC the full size VP9 on account of its size, so I might consider making it even more of a range toy.
    I haven't seen it out in the wild yet.

I'd say it's not really worth it. Especially when things like the TP9 SFX are out there with cuts already

Feedback Score

I’ve got a VP9L. I love it. Great sights, very accurate. It seems to shoot softer/flatter than a regular VP9, too. Weight is identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I went back and forth on which I wanted, PPQ or VP9, and ended up with the VP9. I actually CCW'd it for almost three years despite it being kinda too big for the purpose.
    Last year when I decided I really needed a smaller CCW gun, I was undecided on whether I wanted the VP9SK or the PPQSC, although it was less of a dilemma because I already had mags and holsters for the VP9 and that sort of made my decision for me.
    I currently have about 3200 rounds through the VP9SK, with two malfunctions - one that was probably my fault and one that was possibly my fault.
    I carry it in my Raven Concealment Phantom that I bought for my full sized VP9, so the holster is somewhat bigger than it needs to be but because it's on the barrel end, practically speaking, it's not really an issue
    One thing I did on both my full-sized VP9 and SK was replace the factory polymer striker plate with its debris ingress port....err I mean striker viewing hole, with the solid aluminum units from HK parts. I care a lot more about keeping crap out of my pistols than I do about being able to visually tell if the striker is cocked.
    Besides the stupid factory striker plates with the holes, my only complaints about the VP9 series are: mag capacity seems like it should be higher, which is a minor gripe. And that they seem slightly weakly sprung. The latter thing hasn't caused issues when shooting, but it seems like the VP9 series' slide might be easier to push out of battery than some other designs, or might have trouble going into battery in the first place when dirt or whatever is in the gun, but this is just speculation on my part as I haven't thrown mine in the mud or had to jam the muzzles into anyone's ribcage for a contact shot (which could force pretty much any semi-automatic out of battery anyway I assume)
    Although it is interesting that starting with the release of the VP9 Tactical a couple years back and later extending to all new full sized VP9s, HK now uses the same heavier recoil spring from the VP40 as standard in the 9mms as well.
    As I purchased my full-size in January of 2015, it still has the original red colored recoil spring that the early guns had as standard.

Quote Originally Posted by nick84 View Post
    Sorta on topic, but off comparison; anyone have the new long slide kit for the VP9? It looks cool, but I'm not sure it's worth whatever they want for it. I shoot the regular one quite well, its my most accurate striker fired 9mm, beating the G19 and the X Carry. Because it works well as is, any upgrades would be a huge luxury, but worth considering. I don't really EDC the full size VP9 on account of its size, so I might consider making it even more of a range toy.
    I was interested in the VP9L back when I saw the pics come out in like 2017, that version lacked the holes cut in the slide, and the idea of a longslide VP9 appealed to me. Honestly I'm not crazy about the holes on the current iteration. They look gamer-ish to me, and I can envision crap getting in there. What is the purpose for them? Lightening the slide for better cycling like the cutout on the older Glock 34s?
    Last edited by Circle_10; 03-23-19 at 06:37.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm under the impression that the reason for lightening the slide is to reduce the reciprocating mass; so yes, to reduce or lighten the actual recoil or maybe the felt recoil. Something like that. But for me, its like I said, I carried the VP9 for a while, but now it has really been reduced to a range toy, so cuts in the slide that look cool don't worry me. I won't need to pick it up out of the mud in the middle of the night to hold off Charlie. Again though, probably not worth the bother at 500 bucks or whatever they want for it. Does seem like it would make a sweet shooter even better, though.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Honestly I'm not crazy about the holes on the current iteration. They look gamer-ish to me, and I can envision crap getting in there. What is the purpose for them? Lightening the slide for better cycling like the cutout on the older Glock 34s?
    Thanks to slide cuts SFP9L slide is only 60g (2.1oz) heavier than SFP9 slide (that is slightly lighter than VP9 slide). If you are afraid of cuts allowing crap to get in the gun, never use Beretta M9 where most of slide is just one, huge cut

BTW Those cuts on SFP0L/VP9L give much more positive grip for slide racking for those who like grip by front part of the slide.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    I happened to snag a VP9 long slide kit at Brownell’s. Should have it around the first of April, just in time for vacation.

I might even CCW it in a Phlster Floodlight just for the hell of it, at least after I ring it out with a few hundred rounds.

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12202122