Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP.... VP9 or PPQ?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RAM Engineer View Post
    Didn't realize that click-baity garbage was still being published.
    Did you read the article? It was actually very well done and had some great information for anyone who is torn between the two.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Find out if your local range will let you test drive both. Can't really go wrong with either choice. I prefer the VP9 but that's me.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    You disagree with their methodology, the authors' credentials, or you just don't like their conclusion?
    All the above.

Methodology since they do not mention anything about reliability, accuracy, etc. ie, THINGS THAT CAN BE MEASURED. For instance, they liked how the wall thickness on the grip was greater on the PPQ vs the VP9. However, they never actually measured the grips to see which could achieve a smaller circumference. They never mentioned the greater grip options on the VP9. Never measured reload times. They just said "this is thicker, therefore it must be better and faster to reload".

They liked the solid, machined locking block on the PPQ vs the VP9 merely because one appeared to be stamped and the other was welded. A good quality weld can be stronger than a poor quality solid part. It all comes down to the forces exerted and the engineering behind the choices for fabrication. Which will really last longer? Who knows without long term testing. But don't say "this is better because it's not welded and stamped". A WHOLE lot of AK series rifles proves that is a fallacy.

Authors' credentials? David Crane is well known for his symbiotic relationship with the products he hawks (er...writes about). All the hypertext in the article is a clue. He's not a BTDT. He's not firearms designer. He's not a trainer or a gunsmith. He's just an enthusiast who happens to have a slick website. I once met the small arms editor for Jane's. He knew about as much as the average gunstore commando.

As for the other two guys...never heard of them. But Crane isn't shy about advertising for them right in the article...

Conclusion? Inconclusive....

I find the PPQ to be a very fascinating and appealing gun (especially in the M1 Classic format), but this article doesn't sway me one way or the other. Maybe it's the engineer in me...

Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    Did you read the article? It was actually very well done and had some great information for anyone who is torn between the two.
    See above. "great" is as subjective as a lot of points in the article.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    That link is just a load of crap glorified blog post. Anybody using it as objective source to make a buying decision should be careful of what they read on the internet.

The 'experts' he consulted incorrectly stated the VP9 takedown lever is polymer considering they had "conducted some forensic examination on them."

I stopped reading at the point of them sensing a trend of spot welds.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SixEight View Post
    The 'experts' he consulted incorrectly stated the VP9 takedown lever is polymer considering they had "conducted some forensic examination on them."
    Yet in their forensic spree, they did not notice polymer sights on Walther, that are well known to came loose and fly of the slide. Maybe their forensic training does not include telling polymer from steel?

Do not get me wrong - PPQ is good pistol. I liked it back in 2008, when it was still in prototype stage as "P99D RAD" and "P99Q RAD". But this blog post is hilarious.
    Montrala

I'm sponsored competition shooter representing Heckler&Koch, Kahles, Hornady and Typhoon Defence brands in Poland, so I can be biased

http://montrala.blogspot.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'm not defending the blog post, but I thought it was interesting. It doesn't make me like my VP9 any less, and I still prefer it to my PPQs. I didn't find that article hilarious or inconclusive, but I'm not so entrenched in either gun that my opinion of either is swayed by negative comments - I really don't care. I've already drawn my own conclusions based on how both work in my hands for the things that I use such a pistol, and they've been reinforced over thousands of rounds. Posting that link generated an unsurprising reaction here. Sort of like posting Larry Vickers' opinion over on Walther Forums.

Last edited by Hmac; 08-15-15 at 07:01.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The link has already been posted earlier in the thread and dismissed then as well. If you posted a link to a blog concluding between two carbines out of a BCM, Colt, DD or Noveske that one was superior to the other due to purely subjective criteria and how ones construction appears over the other, I would expect the same reaction. If a similar conclusion were to be drawn in favor of the VP9 due to such biased hogwash then I would expect it to be criticized as well.

Sent using Tapatalk for HTC Android
    Last edited by Waylander; 08-15-15 at 10:53.
    Do you even get down innagrass, bro?

Feedback Score
    The vp9 is softer shooting. With the vp9 I can put more grip in with my off hand because the grip positions my dominant hands fingers in a way that my off hand palm can lock onto. For my large hands the further out breaking point of the vp9 trigger is a treat. For me the vp9 takes less effort to put up awesome targets/times than any other service 9mm.

The PPQ has an impressive trigger. I can shoot mine well as you can see on page 7 of this thread. The perks of the vp9 are "nice" but not critical, obviously. I shoot Glocks a lot too.

I have seen a lot of speculation on the superior build of either one. No way I'm giving up either one.
    Last edited by Fouled; 08-15-15 at 13:29.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Was just perusing this thread last night as I’m interested in both the PPQ and VP9 for ergonomical reasons and today I see this cool promotion posted by Walther on social media that piqued my interest and figured others would be interested as well.

https://www.waltherarms.com/shoot-it-love-it-buy-it/

Applies to all PPQ models.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by parishioner View Post
    Was just perusing this thread last night as I’m interested in both the PPQ and VP9 for ergonomical reasons and today I see this cool promotion posted by Walther on social media that piqued my interest and figured others would be interested as well.

https://www.waltherarms.com/shoot-it-love-it-buy-it/

Applies to all PPQ models.
    I have both, PPQ Classic and VP9, several thousand rounds through both. Both are excellent. Different from each other, both excellent in their own way. I have found that I marginally prefer the VP9, but at that price point the PPQ is by far the better deal.

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast