Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: HELP.... VP9 or PPQ?

Feedback Score
    Interesting and good to know that the VP9 holster is compatible with the -Q as well.

And yep, they are a bit sharp. Definitely could be an alternative for a knife if you wind up in a tousle haha.
    If plan A didn’t work, the alphabet has 25 more letters.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    So I took both out la few days ago at the range. I'm averaging just a sub 2 second draw from retention and getting A zone hits with both pistols.

However, I noticed more muzzle flip with the PPQ than I did wiht the VP9, making follow up shots just slightly longer.

But, the PPQ still chugs along any kind of ammo I throw at it.

I'll do more testing next time I go. I also reconfirmed my dislike for glock ergonomics when I went (I reconfirm this every year or so when a glock randomly comes into my possession.) But the glock will always have a place somewhere in my house. Somewhere.

Feedback Score
    Haven't shot a PPQ, but I can definitely agree with you on the VP9 and the Glocks. I'll always have a place and a use for Glocks, but the VP9 quickly became my favorite striker-fired pistol, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
    “An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.” - Lt. Col. Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Heavy4Caliber View Post
    Haven't shot a PPQ, but I can definitely agree with you on the VP9 and the Glocks. I'll always have a place and a use for Glocks, but the VP9 quickly became my favorite striker-fired pistol, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.
    I actually shoot the PPQ a little better...might be due to the sights. I've never understood the complaints about "muzzle flip". I just don't see it as a component of shooting that gun. I never carry either the PPQ or the VP9. If I carry at all, it's either a Walther PPS M2, or a J-frame in my pocket. That would be rare. I hate that little revolver.
    Last edited by Hmac; 03-06-19 at 11:55.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I've not had a chance to fire a PPQ, but after holding one it doesn't quite have that "fits like a glove" feel that the VP9 does, at least for me. I'd like to get range time with one to compare, but it's not been a priority. With that said, the two pistols are very comparable and I seriously doubt anyone could go wrong with either.

The VP9 has easily become my favorite pistol. I've dumped a lot of my other pistols for VP9's and I don't regret it. They fit my hands like they are surgically attached, are very reliable, have a great trigger, and are very accurate. On top of that, my wife also shoots them well, and there's something to be said for pistol commonality in the household.

The Internet will tell you the VP9 isn't a duty pistol, won't run dirty, won't run wet, isn't true HK quality, etc..

I've found these statements to be false, and would recommend anyone who believes otherwise to test them for themselves.

I've torture tested four different ones over the years. They've been buried in dirt (even buried the mags separate from the pistols a few times), buried in snow and ice, thrown in mud, submerged in an iced over muddy pond, and run with cheap low pressure bulk pack Federal 115gr ammo. All of them far exceeded my expectations. I could only get the pistols to fail once the slide was completely locked up by mud after being buried 6" deep. Other than that, I've had one failure to fire that a simple tap-rack resolved out of four different pistols and nearly 300 rounds of testing. In normal use over multiple thousands of rounds they've been flawless.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I’m largely a VP9 shooter. Back when the ”drama” came out I tested my G17 Gen 3 and VP9 by scrapping mud with the back of the side, threw them into a pond, dumped gravel and sand on them. The VP9 ran fine, other than failing to lock back. My G17 wouldn’t get through two consecutive rounds without stoppage. I performed the same test again hoping to video it. The results were reversed.

I think largely the problem with such torture tests is that it is impossible to scientifically perform a control and recreation of ingress of debris is a crapshoot at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    +1 for the VP9. Best shooting and handling striker fired pistol that I own. Fantastic trigger, accuracy and unmatched grip customization. It is my "go to" when doing any classes, and my winter IDC. No comment on the PPQ, never fired one.
    The Authority is not the Truth. Truth is the only Authority.
    Truth Is Hate to Those Who Hate Truth.
    Love of power is the manifestation of evil.

"When a government is dependent upon bankers for money, they and not the leaders of the government control the situation, since the hand that gives is above the hand that takes.
    Money has no motherland; financiers are without patriotism and without decency; their sole object is gain."
    - Napoléon Bonaparte

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    So I took both out la few days ago at the range. I'm averaging just a sub 2 second draw from retention and getting A zone hits with both pistols.

However, I noticed more muzzle flip with the PPQ than I did wiht the VP9, making follow up shots just slightly longer.

But, the PPQ still chugs along any kind of ammo I throw at it.

I'll do more testing next time I go. I also reconfirmed my dislike for glock ergonomics when I went (I reconfirm this every year or so when a glock randomly comes into my possession.) But the glock will always have a place somewhere in my house. Somewhere.
    I forgot to add that i'm a bit disappointed in my HK mags. One of my mags fails to lock back on last round every single time. HK said unless it's under a year from initial purchase, they will not warranty it. Usually I wouldn't reach out to a company about a mag. But being the mags aren't cheap and HK used to be known to have amazing mags - I figured i'd try.

This isn't the first time i've had issues with the VP9 mags. I've had one that came apart after a reload and the empty fell on concrete. The base plate slid out. I was very careful about re-securing and checking the baseplates between drills too.

So I'm a bit disappointed in mag quality VS the PPQ mags.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lsllc View Post
    I think largely the problem with such torture tests is that it is impossible to scientifically perform a control and recreation of ingress of debris is a crapshoot at best.
    This is absolutely true, and in no way was my test ment to be scientific. For clarification, I posted my findings for those who may have been on the fence about the VP9 due to previous rumors. It's great to see others are testing their firearms in a similar fashion. The fact of the matter is most people don't put their firearms through such trials, so I think it's important to put first hand info out there to better balance the signal to noise ratio and help others make informed decisions. I'd be surprised if the PPQ, Glock 19/17, etc did any better or worse honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed in mag quality VS the PPQ mags.
    That's something I hadn't heard of with the VP9 magazines. All of mine have been great. I feel like there'd be a lot of info out there if the issue was wide spread considering the P30 shares the same magazine, but who knows.

Did these issues start to spring up immediately, or were these magazines well used before the issues started?

Either way, I'd probably reach out to HK through their FB social media page or attempt to contact someone on HKPro about it if you're getting nowhere with the CS email department.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Just shot the PPQ for the first time last weekend. I had dry fired it quite a few times but that was the first time shooting actual rounds.

It was just at the local range, putting holes in paper, so no "real world" type of shooting with it. That said, I found it extremely accurate; the trigger was incredible. Definitely tighter groups than with my current EDC Glock 19. However, the muzzle flip was very, very noticeable. Followup shots were significantly slower. I'd have to do some actual training with it to see which one I'm better with.

Next up, the VP9!
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast