Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the best .22 on the market?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Its against your desire of a traditional look, but check out the S&W M&P 15-22. Its a great gun.
    This. I have several .22s - bolts, 10/22, Buckmark but the 15-22 is the most fun. Also accurate, reliable and can be set up similarly to a 223. Slick, slick gun.

Feedback Score
    The m&p 15 22s get good reviews, and weve sold several, and no one has come back complaining.
    The ruger 10/22 has been around the longest, is very reliable and solid. I repair very few of them, even old ones that have seen untold numbers of rounds. They are also pretty easy to clean, relative to other traditional 22s. The ruger hi cap mags work better than any of the others. They have been the only ones to be reliable in the fa 10/22 we have.
    I know someone who has the marlin, which is a model 60 that uses detachable mags instead of the tube. He likes it, but i do work on them fairly regular, the tube fed model. They are more picky to get cleaned well. Less accessories.
    The remington 597 is the worst. They need work all the time. The barrel is held in by two long screws that go through the receiver to the back, and the bolt rides on them. They constantly come loose. They also like to blow extractors out.
    I have an older, pre lawsuit gsg5. They needed some tweaking, but were pretty good. The post lawsuit guns arent near as good, and come in with problems fairly regular. Their qc seems to have dropped noticeably, and many of the changes they made were to cheapen the manufacturing process. I had sold my 10/22 not long after getting the gsg several years ago, but have recently acquired another, and will be selling the gsg.

If you want awesome accuracy, just get a bolt gun. While the 10/22 can be made very accurate, it requires a bunch more money, and a decent bolt gun will already be there.

Our shop is in a rural location. Out here, guns are tools. Things like 22s and shotguns do not sit in safes, they ride in trucks, on tractors, or wait just inside the door to a barn. They get used a lot, and cared for only a little. Doesnt take long to see what works. The two most popular are the marlin 60 and the ruger 10/22, but there are a lot of older antiques of different designs still in use.
    I said in the beginning the ruger had been around the longest, but the marlin i do believe was earlier. The ruger, as a easily modifiable, accessorized rifle is probably the earliest.
    Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gunfixr; 08-03-15 at 09:31.
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    I have a browning .22 takedown that I bought in 1968. Sent it back to browning to restore. Now it looks like the day I bought it. Wanted it to be something my grandchildren would be proud to have. That gun has a million miles and no telling how many bricks of .22's through it. As a kid I carried it everywhere.

Still want one of those Kidd 10/22's though.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The M&P 15 22 is nice. Pappabear has one. It's reliable and manipulates just like a real M4 as much as realistically possible. Ruger 10/22 is nice for aftermarket stuff. You can buy threaded barrels, etc... and install everything yourself.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have had a 10/22 and a Marlin model 60 since early/mid 80's. Untold rounds through either. The Marlin is more and more consistently accurate, but that is not to suggest the 10/22 is lacking. It is not.

They are both just simply terrific guns. If I had to go with only one, probably the 10/22 simply because it has so much aftermarket stuff and a magazine is easier than the tube fed.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I forgot all about aftermarket accessories and magazine. Im glad that yall have been hitting on those factors. Because you can go almost anywhere and find stuff for the 10/22. I've never really thought about it though, until I've seriously considered a 22.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)

What is the best .22 on the market?

Look at the Ruger American Rimfire as well.

Bolt action that takes the 10/22 mags and an adjustable trigger that can be taken to 1 1/2 lbs from the factory.

Shoots 3/4-1" 100yd groups off bags with some Eley Match ammo.

ETA - also has interchangeable stock inserts that can change comb height and LOP.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by punkey71; 08-03-15 at 13:51.

Feedback Score
    Here is the place for all things 10/22

http://www.coolguyguns.com/

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Ruger 10/22 and the S&W 15-22 for rifles. I prefer the Ruger Mark II pistols. I've had my 10/22 for over 25 years and it just keeps shooting. Not some of the Ruger BX-25 magazines and the have been flawless. The 15-22 has also been flawless and a blast to shoot. I love them both. If you like a tactical style, go 15-22. For a traditional style, 10/22.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty w View Post
    Ruger 10/22 and the S&W 15-22 for rifles. I prefer the Ruger Mark II pistols. I've had my 10/22 for over 25 years and it just keeps shooting. Got some of the Ruger BX-25 magazines and the have been flawless. The 15-22 has also been flawless and a blast to shoot. I love them both. If you like a tactical style, go 15-22. For a traditional style, 10/22.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast