Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Low end" M1911A1's

Feedback Score

"Low end" M1911A1's

I guess my definition of "low end" M1911A1's would be those in the $400-600 range and include brands such as Auto-Ordnance, High Standard/RIA, Springfield GI-types, and so on.

Some folks buy them just to have a platform to build on and a lot of people just like the 1911 design and want a cheap plinker/range gun. I would imagine some use them for HD.

Any thoughts on what brand(s) constitute the best of the low-end crowd, if there's such an animal?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Springfield mil-spec would be about the lowest I would consider.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My Norinco, which you can only find used these days, was a great low end 1911. $269 back in the day.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I concur 100% re a Springfield Mil-Spec as the floor in that price range. You might try to find a used Kimber Series I gun or perhaps a police duty turn in ( often Colts) for the the same money.

IMNSHO, you buy a 1911 knowing that you might have to either send it back to the manufacture or take it to a gunsmith who knows how to smith for a carry pistol when you are in your (our/my ) price range. if you buy a 500.00 1911 and it runs with WWB and modern hollowpoint of your choice from F/W/S/R that's great. I am not sure you can count on that in a bet your life kind of way.

Again, IMNSHO a reliable 1911 with sights you can see, a hammer that does not bite, a decent trigger and will feed a hollowpoint should not have to cost 1000.00. But, I bet it costs closer to 1000.00 than to 500.00 more often than not.

YMMV Greatly.

Edited to add- Demingod is spot on-a Norinco is a great base pistol if you can find one.

Feedback Score
    4 (75%)
    I think if you buy a 1911 and add alot of stuff to it you will be better of buying a used higher end . Parts and gunsmithing are not cheap , and resale sucks .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kihnspiracy View Post
    Not disagreeing as far as price is concerned, but owning a Springfield Mil-Spec and shooting it often and as hard as I can afford to (ammo and courses are expensive!) I have a hard time seeing it as a low-quality firearm. It's done everything I've been told 1911s can't do, and done it well and with all types of ammo. I certainly trust mine to HD duty.

-B

Feedback Score
    A lot of guys are fans of the Philippine-made 1911's (Rock Island/High Standard/etc.). Never examined one so I can't comment one way or the other, but they seem to be doing well at their price point.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kihnspiracy View Post
    I won't even consider them unless I just needed a decent frame and slide for a complete custom build.

Both base model 1911-A1 springers I owned were junk. (poor fit, misfeed city, marginal accuracy for a 1911) And this was years back. I still used to read the same complaints on TOS of problems I had with mine 10 or so years ago.

A lot of people have had good base model springers, but overall the quality is on par with the price you pay in my experience.

Even if you just want a range blaster, it's still embarassing and unprofessional to have an unreliable gun. It drives me nuts.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score

Good Mil-spec

I have a good (so far) Springfield Mil-Spec. I only have 1557 rounds through it, but so far it has been functional.

I have had maybe 2 or 3 Fail to Feed problems (Wolf 230 Ball), but normally I can limp wrist is all day and never have FTF issues.

Accuracy is not great. I get 5" groups off a sand bag at 25 yards with Win. White box. My Glock 17s will group 3" to 3.5" with WWB. Maybe I need more practice.

The most rounds I have shot through it without cleaning is 400, but I have never taken a class with it or really pushed it hard.

Feedback Score
    Ahem....

Michael Kassnar
    President, K.B.I., Inc.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast