Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: "Low end" M1911A1's

Feedback Score
    What kind of accuracy would be expected for a typical World War II GI- production example?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    A lot of guys are fans of the Philippine-made 1911's (Rock Island/High Standard/etc.). Never examined one so I can't comment one way or the other, but they seem to be doing well at their price point.
    Not to piss anybody off but the Rock Island Arsenal guns are not high standard or phillipine guns they were build here in the United States
    Former LMT test/ assembly/ machinist
    Former Rock Island Arsenal / machinist

Feedback Score
    What kind of accuracy would be expected for a typical World War II GI- production example?
    I can bounce a pop can until it disapears over the horizon with mine. I never shoot paper with it because that is boring, and that's not what I expect it to do. It is one of those guns that I feel like I can hit anything I aim at, and it never malfunctions. That said, on paper, I'm sure the old war horse is combat accurate at best. I love my old .45....

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I own a Rock Island Armory (made in the Phillipines) and have done some research on them. The information I've found is that they are built with the Colt tooling machines from the 1940s...so IMO, they are a reproduction of what a 1940's Colt Army would look like.

I've had mine about 2 years now and it's never misfed anything I've put through it...hollow points or ball ammo. The Mil-Spec sights are a little hard to get used to, but it's dead accurate. I'm shooting point of aim at about 28 yards. From a sandbag, I've been known to put 2 rounds through the same hole. Only thing I did was replace the smooth wood grips with checkered grips.

The fit is good, not too rattly, but good enough tolerances to fire when dirty. It'll use any .45 magazine I put in it...Colt, Armscor, Kimber, etc. Field stripping is exactly the same as with any .45.

IMO, the RIA is a good competitor for lower-priced .45's.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    I would think that there are so many variables involved in that assessment especially the condition of the piece.

Are you talking about a typical A1 that is in excellent/new condition? an officer's personal sidearm? Which manufacturer? or a well used piece that has been in the inventory for many years?

If you're talking about the latter as a "low end" than accuracy wouldn't really be my main criteria.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My non-scientific observation from family members, gun stores and shows, the range etc. is that the average shooter wants "a .45" and doesn't want to pay too much money for one. He will probably shoot a box of ammo through it a month - if that. Malfunctions, if the pistol is ever shot enough for any to happen, will be accepted, complained about, and never rectified.

I see three 1911 courses of action:
    -get a cheap plinker and love it for what it is ($400-500)
    -get a good base gun and mod it accordingly ($1000-1500)
    -get a super tactical depleted uranium slinging 1911 ($2500-3000)

Where I think people go wrong is getting a cheap gun and expecting great performance or buying the guns that are designed to look like a super tactical custom, but really aren't.

I wouldn't get a "cheap" gun for a base gun. I would get a basic 1911 set up with quality materials (cough Colt 1911/1991 cough) and have a competent person add the stuff I want.
    Don't forget to show my head to the people. It's well worth seeing.
    -Georges Danton

Feedback Score
    I'm hearing alot of complaints about the Taurus. Lot of issues with parts failure. I don't see any of these low cost 1911's as being suitable for high round counts without a lot of parts replacement and refitting. Springfield would be the choice for such a base pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by threefeathers View Post
    I have a bunch of 1911's and some so called low end are fine.

1. Charles Daly seems to have the 1911 down pat.
    2. Taurus 1911 is just as reliable.
    3. The STI Spartan has terrific reviews and I intend to get one this year.
    4. My son has a Llama that never fails to fire. (but, this one is hit or miss)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    Not disagreeing as far as price is concerned, but owning a Springfield Mil-Spec and shooting it often and as hard as I can afford to (ammo and courses are expensive!) I have a hard time seeing it as a low-quality firearm. It's done everything I've been told 1911s can't do, and done it well and with all types of ammo. I certainly trust mine to HD duty.

-B
    +1.

The milspec was my first pistol and the only 1911 I own now. About 3,000 rounds so far with no problems. Though I did put in a wilson BP extractor before ever firing it...

Mines has the "NM" in the serial. From what I've gathered, milspecs with this in the serial tend to be better fitted.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123