Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.8 build plan

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

6.8 build plan

Well my stripped lower arrived at my lgs yesterday just need to wait on my new id to pick it up. Here is what I am planning on with it. It will be a while before I get it done as funds are pretty tight.
    Spikes stripped lower spartan
    Geissele g2s or ssa
    Bcm mod 3 grip
    BCm trigger guard
    BAd-ass ambi selector
    BCM qd endplate
    Mil spec buffer tube
    spikes st-t2 buffer
    Tubb flat wire spring
    might do a bad lever
    B5 enhanced sopmod stock
    Daniel defense a4 upper
    16" 1:11 6.8 mid gas system
    low profile daniel defense gas block
    DD 6.8 auto bcg
    DD RIS II
    magpul buis pro or arms 40sp set.
    flash hider will be whatever suppressor I finally decide on.
    Optic will probably be a aimpoint pro or t2 eventually might have a magnifier. Might go with a 1-4 or 1-6.
    Suppressor I am eventually looking at is either a surefure socom 6.8 or 7.62 or an aac 7.62sdn-6 but still looking.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chef8489 View Post
    Spikes stripped lower spartan
    Geissele g2s or ssa
    Bcm mod 3 grip
    BCm trigger guard
    BAd-ass ambi selector
    BCM qd endplate
    Mil spec buffer tube
    spikes st-t2 buffer
    Tubb flat wire spring
    might do a bad lever
    B5 enhanced sopmod stock
    Daniel defense a4 upper
    16" 1:11 6.8 mid gas system
    low profile daniel defense gas block
    DD 6.8 auto bcg
    DD RIS II
    magpul buis pro or arms 40sp set.
    The Geissele G2S has basically the same feel as the SSA for less money.

I know some people like the BAD-ASS selector but I wasn't super impressed relative to the cost. I use conventional (left only) selectors after trying several ambi options.

I would skip the Tubb spring and ST-T2 buffer. Ideally I would go with an VLTOR A5 system, which will work 100% as delivered. If you want a carbine length system (A5 is .75" longer) then I would do a quality GI spring (like Colt) and an H buffer. 6.8 does not necessarily require or benefit from heavier buffers unless the barrel is ported too large.

All the Daniel Defense parts are good, but if you are buying separate parts I would get the barrel and bolt from AR15 Performance (Harrison Barnes), he makes very high quality stuff at very reasonable prices and probably knows as much or more about 6.8 as anyone. Website: http://www.ar15performance.com/home

If you are buying a completely assembled upper then Daniel Defense would be an excellent choice.

Handguard is personal choice, but unless you are hanging lots of accessories on it I would go with a more streamlined and lower cost option. The ALG EMR is a really nice handguard for not much money. I also like the Fortis Rev 2, which is a bit more, but still less than a RISII. I would go with an MLOK or Keymod type handguard. I personally like MLOK better, but for now this is a Ford/Chevy or VHS/Betamax type issue.

Magpul MBUS Pro are nice sights. I wouldn't touch ARMS with a 10' pole.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    The Geissele G2S has basically the same feel as the SSA for less money.

I know some people like the BAD-ASS selector but I wasn't super impressed relative to the cost. I use conventional (left only) selectors after trying several ambi options.

I would skip the Tubb spring and ST-T2 buffer. Ideally I would go with an VLTOR A5 system, which will work 100% as delivered. If you want a carbine length system (A5 is .75" longer) then I would do a quality GI spring (like Colt) and an H buffer. 6.8 does not necessarily require or benefit from heavier buffers unless the barrel is ported too large.

All the Daniel Defense parts are good, but if you are buying separate parts I would get the barrel and bolt from AR15 Performance (Harrison Barnes), he makes very high quality stuff at very reasonable prices and probably knows as much or more about 6.8 as anyone. Website: http://www.ar15performance.com/home

If you are buying a completely assembled upper then Daniel Defense would be an excellent choice.

Handguard is personal choice, but unless you are hanging lots of accessories on it I would go with a more streamlined and lower cost option. The ALG EMR is a really nice handguard for not much money. I also like the Fortis Rev 2, which is a bit more, but still less than a RISII. I would go with an MLOK or Keymod type handguard. I personally like MLOK better, but for now this is a Ford/Chevy or VHS/Betamax type issue.

Magpul MBUS Pro are nice sights. I wouldn't touch ARMS with a 10' pole.
    I dont care for Keymod. Guess it is because I have used rails since my 82nd days back in 1997 and my sopmod days from 2000 on to 2006. I have selected the DD upper because it is close to what I carried but in 6.8. I used the m68 on my m4 over the other optics. When I was on a team we had a lot of flexibility on our equipment and I just preferred the aimpoints. So this will be pretty close to a sopmod block 2 build with a few changes.

I will be purchasing the upper from Daniel Defense and other parts I will be getting a mil discount. I have used a g2s in the past and was a great trigger. I was just not sure if I wanted the j spring vs the c clip. The g2s would run about 140 and the ssa would be around 180.

The flat spring was just for noise. Should eliminate the spring noise. I will look into the VLTOR A5 system. The only reason whay I was lookign at the st-t2 was the powder vs the weights.

Eventually I will be using NV and a dbal-a3 for hog hunting, a vfg, and maybe a white light. This will take up a bit of space on the rails.

Feedback Score
    I would second the motion on an ARP barrel. That is good quality. The stag 6.8 is a good'n too.

I recently bought a jp spring kit for $10. Im pretty excited on how it changed a stock fcg.

I wouldnt use a different buffer though. Good luck on your build!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by chef8489 View Post
    I dont care for Keymod. Guess it is because I have used rails since my 82nd days back in 1997 and my sopmod days from 2000 on to 2006. I have selected the DD upper because it is close to what I carried but in 6.8. I used the m68 on my m4 over the other optics. When I was on a team we had a lot of flexibility on our equipment and I just preferred the aimpoints. So this will be pretty close to a sopmod block 2 build with a few changes.

I will be purchasing the upper from Daniel Defense and other parts I will be getting a mil discount. I have used a g2s in the past and was a great trigger. I was just not sure if I wanted the j spring vs the c clip. The g2s would run about 140 and the ssa would be around 180.

The flat spring was just for noise. Should eliminate the spring noise. I will look into the VLTOR A5 system. The only reason whay I was lookign at the st-t2 was the powder vs the weights.

Eventually I will be using NV and a dbal-a3 for hog hunting, a vfg, and maybe a white light. This will take up a bit of space on the rails.
    I used the Vltor A5 on my 16" 6.8 build and couldn't be happier. I just keep the spring & tube lubed and it cuts down on the "sproing" effect. I'd also avoid the ARMS BUIS.
    What if this whole crusade's a charade?
    And behind it all there's a price to be paid
    For the blood which we dine
    Justified in the name of the holy and the divine…

Feedback Score
    The 6.8 will do the job easily on deer and hogs to 300-350. I wouldn't use one to go after a trophy bull but it will take a meat elk like this 5x5 at 370yds with the right bullet and shot placement. In this case a 110 Accubond and a hot handload(2800fps) out of a 20" barrel. Weird position, he slid about 30ft down to the edge of a 40-50ft drop off and landed with his body between his rack.
    Attachment 35142

Check out the hog video below. Professional hog exterminator in Texas shooting a 6.8 with 120gr SSTs.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=jfAWKfYsUUY
    Last edited by constructor; 09-21-15 at 14:11.

Feedback Score
    You said you're planning on suppressing your 6.8 so I'm assuming you intend to run some subsonic ammo through it as well. If thats the case you should check out Bison Armory's barrels. They're designed for subsonic 6.8 rounds.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I second Bison armory. Running a 22" heavy fluted 6.8 with an ARP superbolt.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Take a hard look at the Wilson Combat 16" light barrel.
    SSA
    drop the Bad lever idea
    1-6, look into the ADM/Vortex Strike Eagle combo
    drop the BUIS

http://shopwilsoncombat.com/Match-Gr...nfo/TR-68LW16/
    https://www.americandefensemanufactu.../product/1019/
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    The real question is has the OP built this rifle yet? It's been 10 months....
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    In 2014, a RDS and a WML are pretty much mandatory for a defensive long-gun.

Lights are way easier to fire up than NODs when rolling out of bed.

Quote Originally Posted by SJC3081 View Post
    You should have your balls removed for posting such stupidity. This is not the other site...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast