Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Midwest Industries New Generation Three Handguard Line

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Industries View Post
    The torque plate serves multiple functions (it is made from 4140 steel)
    1 when tightening the hand guard on to the barrel nut it limits the amount the hand guard can be compressed to the nut .
    2 the torque plate engages the upper to keep the handguard from rotating .
    3 the torque plate hooks to the back of the barrel nut keeping the hand guard from sliding off the front of the nut .
    4 the torque plate also helps align the hand guard during installation . There is no longer a need to time out the barrel nut.
    Hope this answers your question.
    Troy
    MI
    A quote from MI
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Man, look through the thread. There's lots of complaints out there about MI screwing over their customers by basically using them as beta testers and not offering adequate solutions to real problems with their products.

Why in the world would you want to support a company like that? There are SO many AWESOME companies out there that make great products and stand behind their products. Support one of quality companies.

Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Does anybody have any actual results from using the rail with no adhesive?

How tightly does the torque plate lock up with the receiver and barrel nut to prevent rotation and forward slippage? The design seems good to me, but it's hard to see how solid the lockup is without seeing it in person.

I'd be using it on a rifle that will likely see relatively hard use, and don't want it moving around on me.

Glueing the handguard to the barrel nut is just something I wouldn't consider. If that is the only way I can be sure the rail will stay in place I'll have to move on to other options.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have a gen 2 rail that I used in a course with no issues. I followed the instructions and over torqued the screws and breaking up the tabs...my fault. Mi sent me a replacement rail free of charge.

I got a gen 3 and put a few hundred rounds thru it as well with no issues. I used pen markers on the screws as visual indicators to see if anything is loose...so far so good with my MI railso.

I do agree that the BCM kmr does have the superior mounting solution after installing a few on my friends rifles. But I think the gen 3 MI is a great product.

Feedback Score
    I put a Gen 2 SS on a .300Blk build and then managed to fall on it last Fall while deer hunting. My 240# carcass landed on it heavily and slid about 3' down a leaf/moss covered rock I hadn't noticed. I was bruised, the rifle maintained zero with both scope and irons.

I used a Gen 3 Lightweight rail on my last build. I shot about 50 rounds without adhesive while making sure everything worked properly and then re-assembled it with the adhesive since that's what the manufacturer calls for. After @300 rounds it's going strong. I won't volunteer for a repeat of the butt slide test if I can help it.

FWIW I also have a rifle that I used G2 SS rail on and replaced the barrel. It's not hard to break the adhesive loose after removing the bolts.
    Last edited by Gunnar da Wolf; 07-20-16 at 13:52.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedubs1 View Post
    Man, look through the thread. There's lots of complaints out there about MI screwing over their customers by basically using them as beta testers and not offering adequate solutions to real problems with their products.

Why in the world would you want to support a company like that? There are SO many AWESOME companies out there that make great products and stand behind their products. Support one of quality companies.
    They seem to be doing things right, and they seem to answer the phone which is better than I can say about the AWESOME company who's upper I bought that won't shoot right...

If that plate doesnt easily slide into place you may have to file a small amount out off the inside edge. We have only seen this in one other upper. If you have a file this should take one - two minutes. If you have any other questions or concerns call us rather than post . We dont hover on these boards and it may be a few days before we answer.
    Troy
    MI
    The designs will not work with each others parts. If you are having issues please call or email the shop we will get it sorted out for you.
    Troy
    MI
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I guess if to you "doing things right" means having their customers Beta test their equipment, not replacing inadequate designs when they're failing on customers, telling customers to do their own machining in their garage to fix MI's faulty designs, and offering no real solutions or actually making things right for customers who bought inadequately designed and tested equipment, then more power to you. Simply picking up the phone isn't enough for me. And I don't give companies like MI my business. But it's a free market, and you're free to spend your money where you like.

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    They seem to be doing things right, and they seem to answer the phone which is better than I can say about the AWESOME company who's upper I bought that won't shoot right...

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    SEEDUBS1, You've made your point, be done with it and move on.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dontshakepandas View Post
    Does anybody have any actual results from using the rail with no adhesive?

How tightly does the torque plate lock up with the receiver and barrel nut to prevent rotation and forward slippage? The design seems good to me, but it's hard to see how solid the lockup is without seeing it in person.

I'd be using it on a rifle that will likely see relatively hard use, and don't want it moving around on me.

Glueing the handguard to the barrel nut is just something I wouldn't consider. If that is the only way I can be sure the rail will stay in place I'll have to move on to other options.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

I used no glue on mine and like I posted back a couple pages, before I tightened the pinch bolts mine felt solid. I could not make the G3 come off the barrel nut.

So even if the bolts come loose it wont fall off or rotate.

Mine has worked very well and I have had no problems with it. This was my first slim hand guard and probably my last, the gas block does get my hand hot.

But I wont change it out I like it that much.

EDIT.... Page 3 post #88
    Last edited by SWIGIN; 07-20-16 at 16:46.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314