Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of pain am I looking at to remove the FSB from a S&W M&P barrel? UPDATE

Feedback Score

What kind of pain am I looking at to remove the FSB from a S&W M&P barrel? UPDATE

Hey guys,
    I'd like to shave the front sight on my M&P Sport, as part of a free float rail install.
    From my research, it looks like on some guns the sights come off fairly easy, and some are a royal pain.

Anybody done the work on M&P barrels?
    How hard was the sight to get off, and then back on and lined up again?

Thanks in advance.
    The depth of knowledge on here is amazing.
    UPDATE:
    Decided I wanted to try to get the sight off.
    Wow!
    I tried everything:
    Heat, large punch, cupped punch.
    I clamped the barrel to my bench.
    Tried it on a concrete floor with the wife holding it.
    Those pins did not budge!!!
    Fortunately there is now a shop in town that works on ARs.
    Twenty minutes and twenty dollars later, the pins are out and the sight is off.
    They were really on there!
    Last edited by mini14jac; 09-28-15 at 12:28.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Read this.

S&W's pins are tough... tougher than my BCM pins. I don't recall if they went the traditional direction (I've read they don't, but I just don't remember), but you can just look and see the large end. The instructions in the link above will get it done, but you need to have a friend and you need to use the right punches. I made wood support blocks instead of using action blocks.

The pin holes will realign it fine, and it just needed some soft taps to remove from the journal.
    Last edited by Uprange41; 08-23-15 at 14:15.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Don't take it off. Cutting off and shaping an FSB by anyone competent enough to use power tools, can be done completely in place. I've done several by cutting them off with a Dremel cut-off wheel, and finishing them on an upside down belt sander clamped in a vise. I have also done them by finishing with 4 1/2 grinder and a flap sanding disc (google it).

Of course, if you need to remove the barrel nut for your desired hand guard, you can completely ignore my advice.
    Last edited by AKDoug; 08-23-15 at 14:21.

Feedback Score
    I've removed a lot of FSB's over the years, for myself, my friends, and friends of friends, but I recently ran across the first one that I haven't been able to remove, S&W M&P OR factory gas block. It belongs to my buddies girly friend. It's completely stock and she bought a KMR that we were going to install. We tried for over an hour and a half with progressively bigger hammers, multiple punches, a torch, and PB Blaster. I was pretty bent that I couldn't get the thing off to be honest. That was in May, and to this day, nobody has got that single pin out. Beats me.
    Last edited by straitR; 08-23-15 at 18:58.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)

What kind of pain am I looking at to remove the FSB from a S&W M&P barrel?

Quote Originally Posted by straitR View Post
    I've removed a lot of FSB's over the years, for myself, my friends, and friends of friends, but I recently ran across the first one that I haven't been able to remove, S&W M&P OR factory gas block. It belongs to my buddies girly friend. It's completely stock and she bought a KMR that we were going to install. We tried for over an hour and a half with progressively bigger hammers, multiple punches, a torch, and PB Blaster. I was pretty bent that I couldn't get the thing off to be honest. That was in May, and to this day, nobody has got that single pin out. Beats me.
    As I alluded to earlier, I've read a good bit of speculation on S&W pins. One thing I've read is that they're press-fit. No idea if that's the case, but if you've got a shop press, it should move it regardless, but that would explain it. If you've got any AK friends, most self-respecting AK guys will have a press.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Uprange41; 08-23-15 at 19:37.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link and the advice.
    The last thing I want to do is butcher my gun and have to wait while I order more tools or parts.

I have read before that S&W FSBs can be a bear to get off, and it seems like this confirms it.

May just stick with the Magpul forearm.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mini14jac View Post
    Thanks for the link and the advice.
    The last thing I want to do is butcher my gun and have to wait while I order more tools or parts.

I have read before that S&W FSBs can be a bear to get off, and it seems like this confirms it.

May just stick with the Magpul forearm.
    I ended up putting a Midwest FSP handguard on mine. Just Dremel off the delta ring, and bolt it on. A bit heavy, but functional.

Last edited by Uprange41; 08-24-15 at 16:33.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I did a BCM upper without removing the gas block. I put the upper in a clam shell and then vised it. I put multiple layers of duct tape on the barrel around the gas block for protection. I hacksawed the top off and sanded and shaped it with sanding wheels on a Dremel and files. Shot it with flat black BBQ paint. It's not that hard, just think it through and pay attention.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    You know what? I completely missed where you said you wanted to shave the FSB... I read "save", not "shave".

I've not shaved an FSB on the barrel, but I have done it off the barrel, and it's an easy job. I didn't bother making it clean or symmetrical, but a Dremel, a grinding wheel, and some cold blue did the trick. Took about an hour or so from start to finish.

If you don't have to change barrel nuts for your desired handguard, then TomMcC and AKDoug are right on... just do it with the FSB on the barrel.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I removed a FSP from a sport for a friend, and it was a pain. Pins weren't as tough as my BCM's, but far from easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast