Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: >223 case life??

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The Winchester 5.56 once fired brass I have reloaded is some of the worst 5.56. Probably the worst considering the cost I paid and questionable quality of the ammo.
    The primer pockets are looser than some of the .223 I've fired several times.

I'm not sure about the PMC Bronze .223 brass you have but the PMC 5.56 brass is great.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SixEight View Post
    The Winchester 5.56 once fired brass I have reloaded is some of the worst 5.56. Probably the worst considering the cost I paid and questionable quality of the ammo.
    The primer pockets are looser than some of the .223 I've fired several times.

I'm not sure about the PMC Bronze .223 brass you have but the PMC 5.56 brass is great.
    Is that commercial Win 5.56 brass or WCC (NATO cross) brass? That LC OFB that I bought from Wideners has a bunch of WCC & TAA NATO brass mixed in with it. So far I've just been tossing it to the side to process at a later date. If it's garbage, maybe I'll just skip it all together. I have plenty of LC anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    Is that commercial Win 5.56 brass or WCC (NATO cross) brass? That LC OFB that I bought from Wideners has a bunch of WCC & TAA NATO brass mixed in with it. So far I've just been tossing it to the side to process at a later date. If it's garbage, maybe I'll just skip it all together. I have plenty of LC anyway.
    It's WCC with no NATO cross but the boxes are definitely labeled 5.56.

The TAA should be worth trying. I've heard good reports.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    It's WCC with no NATO cross but the boxes are definitely labeled 5.56.

The TAA should be worth trying. I've heard good reports.
    Cool, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Agreed. WIN commercial ammo brass, NATO brass, and unfired handloading brass has never failed to disappoint. Soft heads/premature loose pockets, etc. I load it, but it doesn't last long. (I just trash it for .308... that crap is useless when you're used to Lapua and LC)
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Agreed. WIN commercial ammo brass, NATO brass, and unfired handloading brass has never failed to disappoint. Soft heads/premature loose pockets, etc. I load it, but it doesn't last long. (I just trash it for .308... that crap is useless when you're used to Lapua and LC)
    I was curious so I looked at my Win 5.56 brass from new ammo I shot. The brass is so soft the ejector left the signature mark on ALL the cases and they're deep marks. Something like you'd see if you shot hotrodded reloads. I don't see any ejector marks at all on the brass from the other 5.56 ammo I shot.

Even my PSD 5.56 brass is still going strong after a few reloads and the ammo is cheaper!

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Yep. That Win brass has always been short life stuff for me too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    SixEight.....markm.....

The PMC is Bronze .223 and the Winchester is new bulk brass.I also have several hundred PPU & LC 5.56 once fired from my rifle.I believe that the low pressures I'll being loading should extend the brass life,even the Winchester.I don't need much power to kill paper out to 300 yards.

Best wishes,
    John Reno

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Reno View Post
    I don't need much power to kill paper out to 300 yards.
    I hear what you're saying. But I've got to where I like the same POI for practice and defense ammo. I used to run a mild 55 gr practice load, but then my SHTF/defense ammo was full power and had a higher POI...

Feedback Score
    "Winchester" is nothing more than a hollow name, and after Winchester lost the contract to produce ammunition at Lake City they fell on very hard times. They sold off their powder plant in Florida "AND" their brass making factory and they now buy their brass from the lowest bidder. And Olin is making chemicals for fertilizer and the names we grew up with as kids are gone or have been gobbled up by large conglomerates where quality control is governed by the share holders.

The difference is the milspec requirements for the brass have higher quality standards. And as another person said at the Accurate Shooter reloading forum, Lake City brass is the best brass the American taxpayer can buy.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast