Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What case lube do you use?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

What case lube do you use?

I've not been reloading .223 for too long, but I've noticed that the cases are quite a bit more prone to sticking than my other rifle cases I reload (primarily .308 and .300 Win Mag)...
    A couple of weeks ago, a friend bought a Lee press kit, and gave me the tube of Lee case lube that the kit came with, and for s&g'les I tried it, a white chalky paste, and didn't like it. I've been using RCBS Case Lube 2 for years, mainly because my local gun shop only carries it and Hornady One Shot - which I've never used, nor will ever use because of the horrid reviews I've read.
    What lubes do you guys use and recommend for .223 handloading? Thanx!
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Redding imperial sizing wax.

Feedback Score
    Lee Lube dilluted 1:4 w/91% alcohol. Lay cases out and let alcohol evaporate. Every couple of cases a smear a smidge of Imperial at the shoulder and at the base.

Never stuck a case.

6.5 Swede
    30/40 Krag
    .223 Remington

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've had no problems with 223 or 6.5x55 or 308 or anything when using the Dillon spray lube. It is basically an alcohol / lanolin mix and works well. A little goes a long way.

I did get a case stuck with Hornady One Shot in my Dillon trim die!

Chad
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nice, thanx for the replies. I've been thinking about trying some of that Imperial Size Wax, heard good things about that from several people... I'll be needing to get some more case lube within the next 250 or so rounds, hence this thread.
    "A government big enough to give you what you want, is strong enough to take what you have." -T. Jefferson

Feedback Score
    Curious. Where you read the bad reviews on Hornady One Shot? I've been using that for about two years,about 1500-1600 fl sized .223s with RCBS die. Not one issue.It does seem a bit harder to remove from the case(but that's what the tumbler is for)Am I just lucky with this lube? It is convenient to apply.

Feedback Score
    Used to use Hornady One Shot, it was okay and I'd use it again if there was nothing else. The best lube that I ever used was an aerosol from Hoppes, but they stopped making it for some reason . I use nothing but Dillon now.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BYUP View Post
    Curious. Where you read the bad reviews on Hornady One Shot?
    I think one problem people have (from my limited experience with it, which is not much), is that people do not let the carrier evaporate. There is a carrier medium to make it fluid enough to spray out and if you do not let that carrier completely evaporate/dry then you run into stuck cases. This is true of the Dillon etc but it is more obvious with the Dillon that it has evaporated [you can tell with experience by looking] than with the One Shot.

Let the carrier completely evaporate/dry [I am not sure what they use as a carrier] and maybe it works fine. People spray, wait a minute, and go, and get stuck cases. Maybe they need some patience and spray, wait 10 minutes, and then go. Something like that

Chad
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    Yes,I agree Chad.I've found that it takes at least 10 minutes to dry,and most of my loading takes place in Jan or Feb with central heat running.Could even take longer in more humid conditions.On the bottle it states "Dries in 3-5 minutes".I think Hornady does need to modify that statement.

Feedback Score
    Imperial Sizing Wax for high-quality precision reloads. Nothing beats it.

For quick and dirty volume reloads, Dillon spray-lube. Put three handfuls of 223 brass in a shallow Tuperware container, spray on squirt of lube, close the container's lid and shake it up to distribute the lube. Fast and effective. Too much is bad, though, since accumulated excess lube in the sizing die will cause case shoulders to dimple and deform.

KYPD

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast