Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What case lube do you use?

Feedback Score
    I'm using Lyman qwik spray case lube and am about to give up reloading .223 until I can get a carbide sizing die.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharps_74 View Post
    I'm using Lyman qwik spray case lube and am about to give up reloading .223 until I can get a carbide sizing die.
    Even with a carbide sizing die you need to lube. Bottle neck cases have much more bearing surface to the die than straight walled cases do (which is typically just a carbide ring) and you will get stuck cases.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    WOW...i usually agree with guys like Demigod, but this time i have to honestly take the other path.

I've loaded at least 20,000 rounds with Hornady One Shot with never a stuck case. Not one!!!

I put the cases in a tray, spray from 3 sides, and go. My sizing die is a Dillon with a carbide expander ball and i make sure that i spray the One Shot at an angle that will lube the inside of the case necks.
    I have also tested for excessive "Stretching" after sizing and get about .002" which isn't much.

This is sure a lot easier than rolling the cases (which i have done a lot of with my .308 loads).

What am I missing here????

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    How long do you wait after spraying one shot? If you wait long enough for the carrier to evaporate it should be OK I think.

My one experience using it left me with a stuck case, but I only waited a couple minutes and the carrier was probably still mixed with the lube, thinning it out.
    • formerly known as "eguns-com"
    • M4Carbine required notice/disclaimer: I run eguns.com
    •eguns.com has not been actively promoted in a long time though I still do Dillon special
    orders, etc. and I have random left over inventory.
    •"eguns.com" domain name for sale (not the webstore). Serious enquiries only.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    WOW...i usually agree with guys like Demigod, but this time i have to honestly take the other path.

I've loaded at least 20,000 rounds with Hornady One Shot with never a stuck case. Not one!!!
    We can't agree about everything 100% of the time!

Are you using the aerosol? I heard someone say that stuff works. I don't know if the formula is different, and the pump is all I've tried. I've never had a completely stuck case. I can usually feel that it's going wrong and back the case out before it's too late. This happens about 5 percent of the time by my estimate.

With Dillon, I can run a few completely unlubed cases after the last lubed case was in the die, and have no problems.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    We can't agree about everything 100% of the time!

Are you using the aerosol? I heard someone say that stuff works. I don't know if the formula is different, and the pump is all I've tried. I've never had a completely stuck case. I can usually feel that it's going wrong and back the case out before it's too late. This happens about 5 percent of the time by my estimate.

With Dillon, I can run a few completely unlubed cases after the last lubed case was in the die, and have no problems.
    I use the aerosol One Shot. I spray a block of 50 on three sides, than another block of 50. I don't wait any prescribed time and sometimes start on the first block immediately. Again...never a stuck case and not even the sign that one will stick. i didn't even know they made a pump.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    There must be a difference in the aerosol formulation.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by demigod View Post
    There must be a difference in the aerosol formulation.
    All i know Mark is that the cases are pretty "Slick Feeling" but more like a "Thick Slick" than a thin slick, and they stay that way until i tumble the loaded rounds after loading. Uh-Oh...another "Hot Topic"!!!!

I know what you guys are saying about the pump sprays, and I think you're right...there is a difference. I also tried RCBS aerosol once and it sucked compared to the One Shot aerosol.

If I had to roll lube my cases i might jump off the bus. What a PITA!!!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eguns-com View Post
    Even with a carbide sizing die you need to lube. Bottle neck cases have much more bearing surface to the die than straight walled cases do (which is typically just a carbide ring) and you will get stuck cases.
    Ok, so how do you stop from getting stuck cases? I was getting them about every 3-4 cases. One guy told me that I'm not using enough lube and another told me that I'm using too much. I'm wondering if the problem could lie elsewhere.

I'm thinking about getting one of those Lee loaders where it's one caliber per box. I've loaded 1000's of rounds with them although none bottle neck.

Feedback Score
    You use Hornady One Shot Aerosol and spray the cases at a 45 degree downward angle to get the inside of the case necks lubed along with the walls. You want to make sure you have a carbide expander ball in your sizing die and also make sure your cases are tumbled very clean before you start.

This is what i do with absolutley no stuck cases. I fyou're rolling your cases and you get "Dimples" in the case shoulders you're using too much lube. If you're sticking cases you're you're not using enough. A very thin coat of "Roll on Lube" should be all you need. One Shot takes this guess work out of the equation. If you're still sticking cases, you're sizing die might be under sized.

That's all I can say on this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast