Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Upgrades

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

1911 Upgrades

I found myself a Springfield 1911a1 i'm thinking i'll upgrade the hammer, atm i cant think of anything else and i really have no idea when it comes to 1911's. Do you guys have suggestions as what MUST be upgraded. For instance on ar15's you have to stake gas key and castle nut and get h buffer and so on. What on this stock pistol besides ammo and mags (already purchased(and damn 45 is high)) should i do to this pistola? Also i searched the forums and couldnt find a thread like this. i'll add pictures monday.
    "Unfortunately 87.26% of the quotes and statistics on the internet are lies." - Abraham Lincoln
    Stupid should hurt
    I carry a gun cuz cops are too heavy!

Feedback Score
    How does it shoot & what is it for?

John
    Good shooting!

Feedback Score
    1 (57%)
    Shoot about 300 rds through it and see if it malfunctions! You can tell a lot about a pistol and what it needs by a malfunction! I bought a used springfield loaded and shot 400 rds and it had a few problems with extracting the empty shell casings so I replaced the extractor and the problem went away! Point being, do what you need to make it function the way it should

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by John Fettes View Post
    How does it shoot & what is it for?

John
    picking it up sunday. (atm its)this will be my ccw as i sold my glock23 to get it. i will probably pick up a g19 for nightstand and probably carry this until i get a hk for carry. i will always train with it next to my rifle though so if shtf its my primary everything else is backup.
    Last edited by tinman44; 07-28-08 at 08:01. Reason: fixed and left original in parenthesis
    "Unfortunately 87.26% of the quotes and statistics on the internet are lies." - Abraham Lincoln
    Stupid should hurt

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    i read where a guy on 1911 forums said he had one he put almost 20k into, how do you do that? i dont want to mind you i just dont understand how its possible.
    Stupid should hurt

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What model Springer?

I'd swap out the FLGR if so equipped for a GI guide rod and plug. Other than that shoot it and see what failures if any you have and what if anything you dislike. Ambi safety, extended thumb safety, etc.

-RD62

ToddG Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman44 View Post
    picking it up sunday. atm its my ccw as i sold my glock23 to get it.
    A gun you've never shot before is your new CCW?

A Springfield 1911 you've never shot before is your new trusted CCW?

Feedback Score
    1 (57%)
    people take there CCW weapon way to lightly!!! The glock 17 has a bad ass reputation for reliability but I still shot over 3500 rds through it before I started to CCW it! Run it through it paces before you do something like that

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fail-Safe View Post
    Thanks for the link. That answered nearly all of my 1911 questions. I want to do a 1911A1 service grade+ build and I really didn't know now to separate the wheat from the chaff.

I still have one 1911 question. What about heavy conical bbls that eliminate the need for the bbl bushing? There is at least one type that I know of that does not require machining of the frame. However, just like 10-8 recommends against really tight bushings and single piece guide rods, I want still want a service grade gun that can be field stripped without special tools.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast