Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1911 Upgrades

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by toddackerman View Post
    Tinman...you're still not getting it.

With a 1911 you need to put 1,000 rounds through it with your CCW ammo with zero malfunctions before trusting it. The fact that your ejection pattern is "Straight Up" tells me your extractor needs tuning. You don't need an extended mag release, you need to learn the proper technique with the 1911. It's not a Glock. You also don't know that you need "McCormick" mags. They don't work in all 1911's as don't Wilson's, Colt's etc. You have to test each one with plenty of rounds to make that call...and this means each and every Mag. Not just a "Brand".

I have 30 years and >100,000 rounds of experience with the 1911 as do many other forum members. Listen and learn...it's free!

Lastly, why would you use another platform for the "Nigh stand"? You have the ultimate fighting pistol platform in the world. Shoot it, then modify it, and then train with it like your life depends on it as it very well may someday.

ok ok, first i will say i dont carry often as i'm at work school or home with the kids. i'm always within reach of firearms at home that i have plenty of experience with. i made the switch to 1911 and probably wont go back to anything else but we'll see, i've already made an offer on a colt anyways i have a 10rnd chip mccormack that came with the deal, the factory mag hasnt had any malfunctions yet though only about 100 through it at this time. so before i make any other mods i'll shoot the shit out of it, though i still dont like the sights. and thanks btw for the passion in your answers, i will listen, this site helped me choose my ar15 and i cant be happier.
    "Unfortunately 87.26% of the quotes and statistics on the internet are lies." - Abraham Lincoln
    Stupid should hurt
    I carry a gun cuz cops are too heavy!

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    also how do you adjust my extractor?
    "Unfortunately 87.26% of the quotes and statistics on the internet are lies." - Abraham Lincoln
    Stupid should hurt

ToddG Guest
    Shoot it until:

1. You have 1,000 trouble-free rounds through it, preferably much (if not all) using your preferred ccw/self-defense ammo; or,
    2. You have identified consistent stoppages or malfunctions, at which point send it to someone to get tweaked.

Your gun may run perfectly. It may not. Don't assume it needs fixing until something proves to be a problem -- e.g., your extractor tension seems to be off -- but don't assume it will run like a sewing machine, either.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    i have put about 100 rnds through it at this time with 1 failure to feed malfunction, it was after the first rnd in a mag probably 50rnds into my first rnds. got some 8rnd chip mcormacks as all i had was factory mag. also the ftf was a fmj so i dont think the feedramp caused it, i have fired fmj and jhp. so since the guy i bought it from said it had > 200 rnds should i call this the first 50? or round it out at 200?
    Stupid should hurt

ToddG Guest
    Anything done to/with/for the gun prior to it landing in your hands is myth. Testing began when you put round #1 through the gun. Now you've had a stoppage already. Suggest you finish with your 1k before carrying it, and see how/if it is running then.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123