Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Upgrades

Feedback Score
    4 (75%)
    Opening up a can of ideas . Some are good and then you have others . 10-8 has some of the best . I know people with highdollar 1911s and changed to there type of sights which kimber SIS look like . In competion a failure will take you out of 1st , on the street big problem . No guide rod . high grip saftey makes the gun more comfortable to shoot . Some would only have ser,70s trigger .
    Dont know what you want to end up with , there are like harleys . can do allot to them . Good parts inside help too

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by evilmonkey View Post
    people take there CCW weapon way to lightly!!! The glock 17 has a bad ass reputation for reliability but I still shot over 3500 rds through it before I started to CCW it! Run it through it paces before you do something like that
    Just as a warning my Springer Loaded stainless was a single shot for the first 50 rounds. The disconector was dragging on the slide and the extractor tension was to tight from the factory. After some polishing and a minor extractor adjustment it has been humming right along. I just passed the 1,000 rd mark with the pistol and it hasnt had a stoppage of any kind since the first 50 rounds.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    A gun you've never shot before is your new CCW?

A Springfield 1911 you've never shot before is your new trusted CCW?

I had to sell my glock to get it, i have no choice and i havent started carrying it yet and have put about 100 through as of today, i love it. seller said it had maybe 200 rounds through it and it looked that way, very clean parkerized with no wear. so at 300 rnds there have been no failures. I probably wont be carrying this often as i'm at home work or school but it will stay near me at all times. i have a snub nose 38 special i will be carrying for now. i plan to put about 200 more rounds through it and assume its had 500 so break in achieved. i have already decided i need some better sights, a larger safty, extended mag release, micarta grips, mccormack mags, and maybe a match barrel. otherwise i'm happy with it. ejects straight up i imagine that will change with more ammo through it. i'll get some pictures later today i have a test this afternoon, i'm 30 and this is not my first time firing one, just first time owning one i've always wanted one and was done with the 40mm(g23). i plan to get a g19 for nightstand.
    "Unfortunately 87.26% of the quotes and statistics on the internet are lies." - Abraham Lincoln
    Stupid should hurt
    I carry a gun cuz cops are too heavy!

Feedback Score
    You mean something like this Loaded as a finished product.

Feedback Score
    Or maybe like my worked over Milspec stainless

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    anyone got any idea what it would cost me to get this gun milled for different sights? i'm probably just going to keep this stock and buy a loaded version or a colt next year.
    "Unfortunately 87.26% of the quotes and statistics on the internet are lies." - Abraham Lincoln
    Stupid should hurt
    I carry a gun cuz cops are too heavy!

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    "you give peace a chance, I'll stay here and cover you, in case it doesn't work out"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tinman44 View Post
    I had to sell my glock to get it, i have no choice and i havent started carrying it yet and have put about 100 through as of today, i love it. seller said it had maybe 200 rounds through it and it looked that way, very clean parkerized with no wear. so at 300 rnds there have been no failures. I probably wont be carrying this often as i'm at home work or school but it will stay near me at all times. i have a snub nose 38 special i will be carrying for now. i plan to put about 200 more rounds through it and assume its had 500 so break in achieved. i have already decided i need some better sights, a larger safty, extended mag release, micarta grips, mccormack mags, and maybe a match barrel. otherwise i'm happy with it. ejects straight up i imagine that will change with more ammo through it. i'll get some pictures later today i have a test this afternoon, i'm 30 and this is not my first time firing one, just first time owning one i've always wanted one and was done with the 40mm(g23). i plan to get a g19 for nightstand.
    Tinman...you're still not getting it.

With a 1911 you need to put 1,000 rounds through it with your CCW ammo with zero malfunctions before trusting it. The fact that your ejection pattern is "Straight Up" tells me your extractor needs tuning. You don't need an extended mag release, you need to learn the proper technique with the 1911. It's not a Glock. You also don't know that you need "McCormick" mags. They don't work in all 1911's as don't Wilson's, Colt's etc. You have to test each one with plenty of rounds to make that call...and this means each and every Mag. Not just a "Brand".

I have 30 years and >100,000 rounds of experience with the 1911 as do many other forum members. Listen and learn...it's free!

Lastly, why would you use another platform for the "Nigh stand"? You have the ultimate fighting pistol platform in the world. Shoot it, then modify it, and then train with it like your life depends on it as it very well may someday.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just shoot it before you mod it.

Feedback Score
    Ultimate night stand weapon................the 12-guage shotgun, cheap and reliable, I prefer the Remington 870............. point and click......great for those low light level times when you have sleep in your eyes and just got to defend the family. Besides the rack of a shotgun is a scary thing to most.........just a thought...........

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast