Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem while zeroing new mid-length carbine

Feedback Score

Problem while zeroing new mid-length carbine

Hello,

I took my new mid-length carbine to the range yesterday to zero it and see what it could do. I was shooting with the Troy back up rear sight assembly that I purchased with the upper. I initially had trouble hitting paper at 25 yards and finally figured out the gun was shooting low and right. I made the necessary adjustments to get it centered, but I was surprised how much I had to adjust the rear sight to get on target. When I was done the windage adjustment on the Troy was almost all the way to the stop to the left.

This is the first AR I’ve owned without the old standard carry handle rear sight, so I wanted to ask if this is at all common when using a BUIS. I would be a bit concerned if I had to use the much windage correction with one of my standard AR’s. I’m not sure if this indicates there might be something wrong with my upper or not.

The Troy seems to be mounted securely, the upper and lower don’t have any play, the front sight base is tight, so I’m not sure what would cause this unless something is not aligned properly. I’d appreciate some opinions about this problem. I guess I’m curious if something like this merits a call to the customer service people.

Thanks,

J.E.N.

Feedback Score
    J.E.N.

What brand of ammo were you shooting, bro?

Feedback Score
    Sounds like a standard canted FSB but it could be something else. If canted FSB, corrective action is to remove barrel and reassemble.

Who is the mfg? Have you tried contacting them for a return?

Feedback Score
    Was it a Sabre?I just got an other Sabre barrel in May,built it up last week,put it on two upper to check, it is 20 clicks left on both. I just wrote to the guys at PK about it this morning.

Feedback Score
    While I was on the range I was firing some milsurp 62 grain Canadian ammo and some Spanish 62 grain stuff with a NATO stamp. Both of them have always shot well out of my HBAR.

Both my upper and lower are CMMG. I haven't contacted them because I wanted to hear what the M4 brain trust had to say. I was wondering if they test fire thier uppers before they sell them.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I am a little curious about this. How will removing the barrel and re-assembling fix this? There is an alignment pin on the barrel and the upper receiver has a slot for it to go into. So unless the pin was snapped during installation by an over agressive assembler or the notch in the receiver has been worn out how will this solve the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    Sounds like a standard canted FSB but it could be something else. If canted FSB, corrective action is to remove barrel and reassemble.

Who is the mfg? Have you tried contacting them for a return?

Feedback Score
    Sometimes the slot in the receiver is a bit wide and the barrel rotates during initial assembly as the nut gets torqued down. I suppose pins can get bent, but I'm not sure how prevalent that is.

From what I understand, you disassemble the works and reassemble, making sure the slippage/rotation doesn't happen. I'm not up to all the tricks of the trade, I understand there are shims you can use to preclude this, greasing threads and the face of the barrel collar is another.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    I have never seen the pins bend, but I have seen a few actually snap. If the receiver slot is wide, then IMO it is either a crappy upper or has been rebarreled a few times. If it is too wide then it will be very difficult to prevent it from moving. I always use anti-seize on the threads and tighten/ loosen the retaining nut 3 times before final installation.

Never seen or heard of the shims, doesn't mean they aren't out there. The only guns that I have rebarreled were Colts, FN and Bushamsters.

Quote Originally Posted by jmart View Post
    Sometimes the slot in the receiver is a bit wide and the barrel rotates during initial assembly as the nut gets torqued down. I suppose pins can get bent, but I'm not sure how prevalent that is.

From what I understand, you disassemble the works and reassemble, making sure the slippage/rotation doesn't happen. I'm not up to all the tricks of the trade, I understand there are shims you can use to preclude this, greasing threads and the face of the barrel collar is another.

Feedback Score
    You could slap a scope on it and get it zeroed ,than see where you are with the irons. maybe the BUS is f*cked up or the FSB is canted.
    WHO ME ? ---- A government big enough to
    give you everything you want, is
    strong enough to take everything
    you have.
    -- Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    I'm wondering if this is caused by builders who torque the compensator on while holiding in the upper in a vise block. It seems adjusting the windage all the way to the left is the most common complaint, which is what you would expect from an overtorqued barrel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast