Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which carrier? pig brig, pig pc, Mayflower APC.....

Feedback Score

Which carrier? pig brig, pig pc, Mayflower APC.....

Looking to get a carrier and plates. Civvy use, training, classes, late night noises, etc.. Would like it to be quick donning for the late night noises but be scalable for more load out during training, e.g 8-10 ar mags, side sapis, ifak, couple tourniquets, pitol mags, hydration pack, etc. 95+% of time would like it to be slick-ish. Anybody have experience with these platforms?

I really like the PIG BRIG due to the ability to scale as well as leave slick and be able to throw on with simply closing one side of the cumber. Also can start out minimally and add other items, mag holders, pads, cumbers, etc. I'm concerned that I wouldn't be able to use side plates since the front doesn't have a flap like the PIG PC/Mayflower APC to keep more secure. Can side plates still be effectively added to the Systema? Can it be loaded out to be basically the same as the PIG PC and if so, what would need to be purchased? Does the hook and loop wear out over time?

The Mayflower APC is a nice rig as well. I appreciate the flexibility and the minimalist approach yet having some additional features such as shoulder pads, kangaroo pouches, etc. I'm concerned with the narrow shoulder straps and potential chaffing if not wearing a shirt with a mock neck. I'd like a drag handle but could be something added in the future. Since it has the front cumber flap on the front PC I'm guessing it's a little slower to don than the PIG BRIG for night time SHTF scenarios at home (late night self defense).

The PIG PC seems to have everything that is needed except the ability to go lower profile. If I could go lower profile with it that would be fantastic Most of the reviews I've read said it was a bigger rig due to the one size fits all but since I'm already a bigger guy I'm not sure that would affect me as much since I'd be running larger plates. I'm guessing with plate padding and shoulder straps removed as well as a lower profile cumber I'd be able to go fairly low profile but not positive these changes can be made.

Also planning on balcs armor and a beez lvr so could throw everything over that rig as well

As you can see...I have a dilemma. Looking for first hand experience and definitely want plates to sit high.

J

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    8-10 mags? The standard load out for the Army is 7 mags. Do you really see the need to have that much 5.56? Of the three, I only have experience with the APC, which I love. The shoulder pads have yet to feel uncomfortable to me and it probably isn't as fast as a different style CB but there is an upgrade kit from First Spear I think that's an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrmy_1 View Post
    Looking to get a carrier and plates. Civvy use, training, classes, late night noises, etc.. Would like it to be quick donning for the late night noises but be scalable for more load out during training, e.g 8-10 ar mags, side sapis, ifak, couple tourniquets, pitol mags, hydration pack, etc. 95+% of time would like it to be slick-ish.
    8-10 mags doesn't really compute to Civvy use and slick-ish. Don't turtle up, go with 3-4 mags instead.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    8-10 loaded mags get heavy real fast.
    Also look into the SKD STT plate carrier. It's slicker, lighter, and more economical than the PIG.
    Less armor options, but it'll take hard plates.

Feedback Score
    8-10 mags would be training for imminent threat conditions and not standard load out. Typically would be 3-4, max 8-10.

Thanks for feedback.

Feedback Score
    There are many schools of thought on how many mags you need. A lot of people tend to go heavy at first, then scale back as they learn more. You kinda have to judge for yourself what you need for your situation, and that can change.

For me, for my things that go bump in the night, I wouldn't even bother with an extra mag at home. 30 rounds will take care of any home invasion by the criminal element. How much you need for a class varies with the course. If you are thinking SHTF, I don't see anything wrong with going heavy. On my last trip to Iraq we had double issue of ammo. I had 12 mags on my body armor, one in the gun, and one in a stock mounted pouch. A lot of the guys kept their additional mags in the truck. We were lucky in that no one ever ran dry, but the extra weight never bothered me as I was a big guy at 6'1" 240#. It was comforting having it all with me. However, having more on you will probably lead to you using more in times of stress. My current chest rig has only 6, but I won't be going on any extended dismounted patrols anymore...
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Feedback Score
    First spear strandhogg ftw.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by infidelcrusader View Post
    First spear strandhogg ftw.
    I was looking at fs sh but it seems like it doesn't keep back plate up high like Mayflower/SKD rigs

Feedback Score
    I own one, very high

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    If you are in a fight, and something impedes your ability to adequately project force, correct that problem or remove yourself from the fight.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast