Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to start shooting competitively?

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    All my gear is pretty tactical, can someone recommend me a streamlined simple kit for something like USPSA?

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysop View Post
    All my gear is pretty tactical, can someone recommend me a streamlined simple kit for something like USPSA?
    Just go with what you have until you figure out what you need and like. At first you just need to start getting used to the particulars of the game so gear isn't as important. Put a holster and a few mag pouches on your belt, and then observe what others are using. Most people are willing to share their experiences with their own gear and will likely let you try it out.

I use Bladetech or Comp-tac holsters and mag pouches. If you're getting more into USPSA than IDPA, the gear needs can be different, e.g. mag pouches that allow rotation, dropped and offset holsters, etc. So go get your feet wet so you'll have a better idea of what kind of gear will work for you.
    “All falsehood is a mask, and however well made the mask may be, with a little attention we may always distinguish it from the true face.”

State of Franklin Training Group

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    After doing a lot of googling with the info you guys have given me I think I'm going to try some IDPA. There seems to be a lot of matches local, even an indoor one 5 min from my house. I'm going to go watch that one in a few weeks.

I think I should be fine with a RC Phantom and a double mag holder of some kind right?

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    IDPA looks better on paper. In reality I have found it to be more restrictive due to some of their rules. My first couple of action shooting matches were IDPA because it was more popular in the area I was at the time.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skatz11 View Post
    IDPA looks better on paper. In reality I have found it to be more restrictive due to some of their rules. My first couple of action shooting matches were IDPA because it was more popular in the area I was at the time.
    I've read that there are rules in regards to maintaining cover and magazines retention. That seems like it could be easy to screw that up at first

Feedback Score
    IDPA has more shooters and more clubs. A lot more opportunities to participate in my area. The only hard part is showing up.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaysop View Post
    After doing a lot of googling with the info you guys have given me I think I'm going to try some IDPA. There seems to be a lot of matches local, even an indoor one 5 min from my house. I'm going to go watch that one in a few weeks.

I think I should be fine with a RC Phantom and a double mag holder of some kind right?
    As long as you can safely draw and handle a gun, there's no need to just go watch. Take your gear and shoot the match, otherwise you will end up wishing you had taken your gear so you could shoot the match.

IDPA is fun, USPSA is fun, 3-Gun is fun, shooting is fun. IDPA is fine to start. Just have fun playing grown-up cops and robbers. Don't worry about the others, the competition is against yourself and is driven by your desire to improve.

I am fortunate to have started with a bunch of very inviting shooters, but I imagine it's pretty similar at other matches with healthy participation. I showed up on my own, knowing no one, with a nylon holster and a leather double mag pouch that held the magazines in opposing positions. I had long hair down to the middle of my back and was somewhat atypical amongst the other people there. The folks running the match and the other shooters were accommodating and friendly, helped show me the ropes, made sure I was safe, and set me on a course to become a much better shooter than when I first started.

Don't overthink it. Get your gear—what you mentioned will work fine—go to a match, have fun, learn. Be prepared to get the bug and end up spending lots of money/time on ammo and practice.
    “All falsehood is a mask, and however well made the mask may be, with a little attention we may always distinguish it from the true face.”

State of Franklin Training Group

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    2-gun games aren't very common. Try 3-gun, USPSA and IDPA. If you like shooting, want to improve your skills and aren't afraid of not winning you'll love one or all of them.

Holler at me if you have any questions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Your best bet is to keep it simple and start off with a pistol only match. IDPA doesn't appeal to me in the least, so I can't comment on that. I started on USPSA and it is a great springboard to 3-gun. I was like you initially, I didn't have a proper shotgun so I only wanted to do 2-gun.

Shoot some USPSA and you will find friends who shoot 3-gun. You can always share a shotgun for a few matches while you are deciding if you want to fully pursue 3-gun. I wager you will.

Feedback Score
    Don't go crazy on things you think you "need". Ask yourself....is what I have really hindering my shooting? Or do I need more work?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast