G&R Tactical

Thread: AAR - Magpul Core Long Range Precision I - Yakima, WA - 8/29 9/1, 2015

Feedback Score

AAR - Magpul Core Long Range Precision I - Yakima, WA - 8/29 9/1, 2015

Magpul Core – Long Range Precision I
    August 29 – September 1, 2015
    Yakima, WA

I’ll start by saying that I am very new to precision shooting. I have been shooting most of my life and have trained extensively with pistols and carbines for many years. My only experience with bolt actions rifles has been short to medium range hunting. My introduction to long range precision shooting started less than two months ago. If I get any of the lingo or reference wrong, it is because I don’t know what I am talking about. Hopefully you will get my meaning and this review will be helpful. Unfortunately, I did not take any pictures. It was not a priority and I was more focused on the training.

My goals for the class were:
    • Identify 2-3 areas to focus on improving, in order to build a 12-month developmental training plan
    • Maximize the fit of my rifle to me
    • Test myself in a new skill
    • Test my gear and equipment to see what works and what does not work

The range was on private property about 30 miles outside Yakima near Sunnyside, Washington. The facility was excellent with several ranges, and wide open space. The wind was up the entire time and this made for a great training environment.

On days one and two, the weather was cold and raining for most of the morning. I am glad I brought several layers to stay comfortable throughout the day. Each day we started at 8:00 AM sharp, and ended at around 5:00 PM.

Handouts:
    • Magpul Precision Rifle Quick Reference Cards
    • Magpul Precision Rifle Data Book
    • Class syllabus

NOTE: The quick reference cards and the data book work really well together. I am glad I had not bought a data book yet. This is a great system; I am likely going to use this going forward.

Classroom topics covered:
    • Circle of components
    o Rifle
    o Optics
    o Ammo
    o Shooter
    • Body position
    • Natural point of aim. “Where the rifle wants to be, when the shooter is relaxed”. If I had to pick one ‘main theme’ of the class, this would be it.
    • Trigger control and follow-through
    • External ballistics – This was an epiphany moment for me.
    • Wind, wind and more wind.
    • Bullet Coefficient
    o G1
    o G7
    o Spin rate
    o Center of gravity
    o Center of pressure
    o Much, much more
    • Environment
    o Temperature
    o Humidity
    o Pressure
    o Altitude
    o Much, much more
    • Applied Ballistics software
    • Applied Ballistics – Kestrel
    • Angles of measurement
    o MOA
    o Mil Radian
    • Rifle cleaning and maintenance
    • Pre/post check lists
    • Range estimation
    • Wind Formulas
    • Danger Space
    • Maximum point blank range

Range Sessions included:
    • Safety briefing
    • Natural Point of Aim
    o Rifle fit
    o Adjusted position of optics
    o Bi-Pod
    o Rear bags
    o Level
    • Establish preliminary 100 yard zero
    o Body mechanics
    o Natural point of aim
    o Trigger position
    • Chronograph muzzle velocity
    • Establish 100 yard zero and re-set turrets to zero
    • Shooting know distance target at ranges from relatively close, to beyond 1KM.
    • Working as a team with a spotter
    • Using a mil reticle to estimate range
    • Scored shoot of unknown distance targets, working with a spotter to test range estimation data
    • Alternate position shooting introduction and practice
    o Unsupported standing
    o Supported standing
    o Kneeling
    o Sitting
    o Barricades
    o Tripods
    o Sling positions
    • Scored alternate position shoot at known distance targets, working with a spotter
    • Additional known range practice at ranges beyond 1,000 yards. This was a great spotter team drill. And really helped develop wind calls.
    • Scored barricade exercise
    • Scored prone position exercise

I’m sure I am forgetting something. But as you can see we covered a lot in 4 days. The pace was excellent, and the information was organized in a building block format.

It is worth mentioning that we used a proprietary Magpul paper target used to zero our rifles each morning, natural point of aim drill, consistence drills and for two of the scored shooting exercises. They are very versatile targets, and I wish Magpul would sell these commercially. I think these would be a great training aid.

The instructors were terrific. Both Caylen and Rudy have tons of experience as military snipers, and sniper instructors. There style was pretty laid back. Each classroom session usually ended up with some great conversation and Q&A. These guys have a ton of experience and information, they freely shared as much as possible with us. They have more of a coaching style of instruction vs. a military style of instruction. The only other thing I would add is, Rudy is an excellent artist, his white board diagrams were awesome. And Caylen is hilarious.

The students were awesome. There were people from Washington, Oregon, Montana, Alaska, North Dakota, Massachusetts, Georgia and Florida. This was a really great group. It was nice to meet new people and train together. I learned a lot from my classmates. I can’t thank everyone enough for all your help and advise!

The gear that was used was pretty diverse. Of the 15 students, most were shooting .308 rifles with 5 or 6 people shooting 6.5 Creedmoor as I recall. There were several difference stocks and chassis systems represented. There were some very nice rifles and optics represented. To my knowledge they all seemed to work pretty well.

I was shooting 7.62x51 Federal Gold Medal Match 175 Grain SMK ammo. This worked really well for me and the chronograph test averaged my muzzle velocity at 2,727 feet per second. This is pretty fast and it seemed dead on. The Applied Ballistics software gave me very good data with this muzzle velocity. I was able to get repeatable hits at ranges at or above 1,000 yards. I have already ordered more.

My gear:
    • I was shooting a .308 Remington 700 action in a KRG Whiskey 3 folding chassis. I love this system. I am pretty tall and I was able to take full advantage of the adjustability of the Whiskey 3 to get a natural point of aim. The modularity is great the number of custom features and accessories made this work very well for me. I have no regrets investing in this chassis.
    • My barrel is a 22” Krieger heavy profile, with 1:10 RHT. I have a Gemtech bi-lock muzzle break on this barrel and it worked just fine as a muzzle break.
    • NP3 coated bolt with Badger bolt knob. I think the NP3 helped in the blowing dust and grit. If my memory serves me, the lowest wind we had all week was 8 MPH with gusts up to 30-ish MPH range. It was windy and dirt and dust was everywhere.
    • Steiner M5Xi Military 5-25 x56 FFP scope with MSR mil reticle. I spent a lot of time deciding on a scope. In the end I bought the Steiner as a good balance between performance and cost. The scope tracked extremely well and I really like it. I will likely buy another one for a 6.5 CM build.
    • Harris bipod with High Speed Shooting Systems ‘fang’ steel spiked feet. This worked great in the soft sand, and hard pack dirt. Very stable and the bipod did not move under recoil.
    • I used a smaller size TAB gear rear bag, and this worked the best for me in the most positions. I brought a couple others with me, neither one work very well, I ended up selling one to another student.
    • I kept all my gear neat and organized in an Eberlestock GR2 backpack. It worked great, this made is easy to keep all my gear organized and easy to find.
    • Suppressor/silencer, I brought my Gemtech HVT with me. I shot it the day before the class at a friend’s private range. I was not happy with the repeatability of the mounting system and decided not to use this for the class. I am going to start a form 4 on a Thunder Beast as soon as possible.
    • AICS Magazines. I had some feeding problems with my magazines. They were so full of dust, dirt and sand, that the springs were not working 100%. During one of the scored shooting events. My last round did not feed. I had to eject the magazine, re-insert it and single feed the last round. I broke the shot just ahead of the timer and got a decent hit. I need to look into this a bit more to make sure the geometry of the action and chassis is good to go with the magazines.

It pays to be a winner. There were 4 scored shooting events. These events tested our teamwork with a spotter, our ability to call wind, our understanding of the instructions, and our ability to apply the instruction in a practical application. I was fortunate to win 3 Magpul rifle stocks and a MS1 sling.

This was one of the best training classes I have ever taken. The content was superb, the instructors have a deep understanding of the material, and know how to explain, and impart this so that we as students understand. On top of that my classmates were awesome.

This class was an excellent shake down of all my gear, and more importantly me. I learned so much and I now have a plan of what I need to do to get better. I can’t thank Caylen, Rudy and my classmates enough for making this a superb experience. This class exceeded my expectations and I cannot recommend it highly enough.

I am already making plans to attend Long Range Precision II next year.
    Last edited by irondude; 09-11-15 at 20:34.