Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Manufacturing process for standard FSB?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)

Question Manufacturing process for standard FSB?

Hey there. I looked up my question on google but didn't find what the manufacturing processes for standard FSBs are. I have a BCM and was curious if the FSB is forged or MIM. I'm looking into purchasing a super gas block by geissele(love the "bombproof" pinning feature!) , but haven't pulled the trigger yet due to it being MIM. Is this something I should be concerned about, or are normal gas blocks MIM?

My project will be on a standard M&P 10: I'm going to swap the gas block to whatever is the most sturdy low profile option and then free float it with either an MI rail or something else lightweight.
    Last edited by Red falcon; 09-05-15 at 11:02.
    "Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry
    "Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people." Proverbs 14:34

Feedback Score
    The "mil-spec" front sight base is a forging that is finished machined. Some commercial ones may be cast.

However, cast steel is more than adequate strength-wise...

Feedback Score
    It's probably the most qualified part to be made MIM.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    The newer Daniel Defense "curved" design is MIM.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red falcon View Post
    Hey there. I looked up my question on google but didn't find what the manufacturing processes for standard FSBs are. I have a BCM and was curious if the FSB is forged or MIM. I'm looking into purchasing a super gas block by geissele(love the "bombproof" pinning feature!) , but haven't pulled the trigger yet due to it being MIM. Is this something I should be concerned about, or are normal gas blocks MIM?

My project will be on a standard M&P 10: I'm going to swap the gas block to whatever is the most sturdy low profile option and then free float it with either an MI rail or something else lightweight.
    The Geissele gas blocks are investment castings, not MIM, as stated in the instructions that come with them (available on the Geissele website as a PDF).

Investment castings are fine as long as they are done right, and Geissele knows how to do them right. I believe most or all of their triggers are castings as well.

Standard FSB is a forging as noted. Once upon a time some commercial ones may have been castings (as claimed in Bushmaster ads from 10 years ago), but I doubt any are today given the widespread availability and low cost of basic components like that.

Feedback Score
    Colt FSBs are not only forged, but they are heat treated also. Must be a world record on overkill.
    Colt's Manufacturing Company Armorer Instructor

Aimpoint USA ProStaff

www.hardwiredtacticalshooting.com

Feedback Score
    33 (97%)
    A lot of them must be forged. I had a hell of a time using an angle grinder and dremel to cut and re profile one on a PSA barrel.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Thanks guys. Would reprofiling a standard FSB change the temper/forging properties of the metal? How much stronger/durable is forged steel vs investment cast?
    "Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?
    Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry
    "Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people." Proverbs 14:34

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Red falcon View Post
    Thanks guys. Would reprofiling a standard FSB change the temper/forging properties of the metal? How much stronger/durable is forged steel vs investment cast?
    Reprofiling a standard FSB may or may not change the metal properties depending how hot you get it (from grinding or sawing) but people do it all the time and it's not likely to be any issue.

I can't answer your second question readily, as it depends on the steel, manufacturing process in detail, and heat treatment. Basically if you but a quality brand you will get a quality part. Geissele is an excellent brand, if you're still considering them.

I'm not aware of any version of the M&P10 that comes with a standard forged FSB. All I've seen have a low profile clamp-on gas block that is probably machined from bar stock. The block itself is fine but clamping is not the best attachment. I wouldn't bother trying to reprofile one of those - if you want a smaller clamping block they are made by several companies including Daniel Defense and YHM. (YHM makes some mediocre parts, but their gas blocks are just fine.)

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    Reprofiling a standard FSB may or may not change the metal properties depending how hot you get it (from grinding or sawing) but people do it all the time and it's not likely to be any issue.

I can't answer your second question readily, as it depends on the steel, manufacturing process in detail, and heat treatment. Basically if you but a quality brand you will get a quality part. Geissele is an excellent brand, if you're still considering them.

I'm not aware of any version of the M&P10 that comes with a standard forged FSB. All I've seen have a low profile clamp-on gas block that is probably machined from bar stock. The block itself is fine but clamping is not the best attachment. I wouldn't bother trying to reprofile one of those - if you want a smaller clamping block they are made by several companies including Daniel Defense and YHM. (YHM makes some mediocre parts, but their gas blocks are just fine.)
    Thank you man. Do you think the super gas block would be my best low profile and robust option, or would a standard gas block with set screws/dimpled barrel/and rockset be equally strong? I'm a bit weary of the clamp on style myself.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast