Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a Suitable Case for a Trunk Rifle

Feedback Score

Need a Suitable Case for a Trunk Rifle

I have a Colt carbine I would like to keep in the trunk of my car. I have a giant pelican case I can use but it is bulky and heavy. Do I need it, or would a basic nylon fabric case with padding be sufficient? Summers here can be very hot and humid with frequent winter temperatures below freezing, if that makes a difference. Now that I think about it, what is the best cold-weather lubricant for an AR? Many thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Need a Suitable Case for a Trunk Rifle

If you intend to remove it at the end of each day, any case will probably work fine. If you intend to put it in and leave it in, I would highly recommend against that. I would be less concerned with environmental factors and more concerned with security.
    Last edited by Inkslinger; 09-06-15 at 09:31.

Feedback Score
    Tulsa,
    The case is personal preference Imo. But the bulk of the hard case will become a hinderance with regular day to day use of the trunk. You can leave the rifle in the trunk if you want, I have two rifles that stay in the trunk pretty much all the time. The ammo is swapped out once a year and the rifle is inspected at least once a month. My area has extreme heat and humidity in the summer. Any wear points where bare metal is exposed will rust without oil applied. Hope that helps alittle

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    What other criteria do you have for this case? Is it just to keep the carbine from sliding around and getting scratched, or do you want to lock the case and secure it to the trunk in case some one breaks into the car? In any event, if the weather is humid, I would consider adding a desiccant pouch during the warm months. My mountain bike got spots of corrosion on it from sitting in a bike locker after just one week in VaBeach- I imagine the trunk of your car would be similarly harsh environment. I get desiccant pouches for free from work, but I think you can find them at boating/RV stores.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-gnARR View Post
    In any event, if the weather is humid, I would consider adding a desiccant pouch during the warm months. My mountain bike got spots of corrosion on it from sitting in a bike locker after just one week in VaBeach- I imagine the trunk of your car would be similarly harsh environment. I get desiccant pouches for free from work, but I think you can find them at boating/RV stores.
    No desiccant will work for very long (and maybe not at all) unless it and the equipment that it's supposed to protect are in an air-tight container. That would put some serious limitations on what cases one might be able to use. Pelican cases are generally air-tight, but not very compact.

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa View Post
    I have a Colt carbine I would like to keep in the trunk of my car. I have a giant pelican case I can use but it is bulky and heavy. Do I need it, or would a basic nylon fabric case with padding be sufficient? Summers here can be very hot and humid with frequent winter temperatures below freezing, if that makes a difference. Now that I think about it, what is the best cold-weather lubricant for an AR? Many thanks.
    Why do you want to store a rifle in your trunk? This question should be answered first.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This isn't a "use the search button" reply, but you will find an awful lot of threads on carry cases and trunk gun methods. Many include detailed reviews and photos. I have an assortment of lower profile cases like the Eagle discreet case, backpacks, etc that work well for me. Hard cases are heavier, bulker, and less flexible.

Best lube for cold, same quality lube for hot.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I'll second the opinions that leaving a rifle in your trunk is not the best idea, of course depending on why you need to...

I would not use anything with foam padding as they retain moisture.

I'd honestly store it disassembled in a gym bag or small something along those lines - sneaky bag...

Just easier to deal with and much less conspicuous if you are constantly taking it in and out.

If you are concerned with the 30 seconds it takes to put it together, you probably have bigger things to worry about in that situation.

Still would help immensely to know the purpose, as this usually drives things.

Feedback Score
    I have this case for my AR rifles . It works real well at storing a carbine with an optic mounted, magazines, and other items inside one container. The case is well padded and would be very suitable to being carried in a trunk. Another plus is it looks like an innocuous piece of luggage and the rifle can be quickly accessed. Although it is not listed on the Blackhawk website, I found one on Optics Planet.

I have owned mine for several years and it's held up well. It spends time in my trunk, but not on a permanent basis.

I would second the Eagle products line as well.

Link:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/blackhaw...-16-black.html

http://www.eagleindustries.com/produ...ucts.aspx?id=4

Feedback Score
    Thanks so much, guys. As to my purpose, with an AR in my trunk I am more likely to have one nearby should things go south.In other words, I would generally put it there and leave it there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast