Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need a Suitable Case for a Trunk Rifle

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulsa View Post
    Thanks so much, guys. As to my purpose, with an AR in my trunk I am more likely to have one nearby should things go south.In other words, I would generally put it there and leave it there.
    I have no issue with carrying a rifle for emergencies. My SBR comes with me everyday to work in a very inconspicuous backpack. That is the only place I would consider leaving it unattended in my vehicle. Where I work there is always someone there, the facility is monitored by cameras, and police are frequently on the property. I would by no means consider putting a rifle in my vehicle and leaving while out shopping, dinner with the wife, or overnight anywhere. The chances of having your car broken into or stolen are probably greater than you needing a long gun in your daily travels.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    The chances of having your car broken into or stolen are probably greater than you needing a long gun in your daily travels.
    I'm not disagreeing Inkslinger. Statistics and probabilities are great tools, I use them daily at my job to determine tactics and teaching points. They, statistics, are fine until you find yourself on the wrong side of the curve. Air travel is safe until you find yourself crashing into the Indian Ocean; it is safer to be in a classroom at Sandy Hook Elementary than in your Mother's SUV on the way to school, until Adam Lanza shows up.

I would honor both threats, theft, and the need for self-defense, by getting a carry option that would allow the weapon and case to be secured to my vehicle.

In my situation, I take the weapon with me into work, it rides in the passenger compartment of my vehicle, and if need be it can be locked (outside the bag) under the rear seat of my pickup. A determined thief, with time and tools could get it, but that is true of almost any vehicle storage. Although if they merely have a quarter they could get 500.00 worth of optic and BUIS.

Assess your needs. I think it is a bad idea to simply leave any weapon in a vehicle for many reasons. Ask any police armorer what shape the shotguns are in when he does armorer service on weapons left in the units.
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 09-06-15 at 12:49.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I agree. My concern is the times when you can not readily access your vehicle, but others can. Other than the situation I described, my CCW must fill my needs. Would I rather carry a long gun when my wife drags me to the mall? Damn straight! But it if I needed it, it's in the car.

OP, like I said, I have no problem with carrying a long gun. I would seriously consider the ramifications of leaving it in your vehicle for what is essentially, indefinitely. A discreet case, (even if the rifle needs broken down) carried in and out is considerably more responsible than leaving it in the car.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think it was Claude Werner that said, "It's not the odds, it's the stakes." That can go for either the need for a long gun or the consequences of having one stolen.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    What about a locking rack bolted into the trunk? If you are an LEO, your agency may be able to help you with some leads on that, or potentially help with the install. I have found that providing the item to be installed along with a case of beer, can produce some after-hours miracles.

This is not any kind of dig, but I am not a fan of leaving weapons in a vehicle. They have been way too many good folks murdered with weapons stolen from cars. A friend of mine who is a retired police LT buried two of his officers last year, both murdered with a gun stolen from a vehicle. Again, that's not a beatdown, just offering food for thought.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Last edited by R0CKETMAN; 09-06-15 at 19:26.
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Check out Drago Gear. Just bought a nice double rifle case of their's. Good padding and plenty of storage. Even comes with back pack straps if you're so inclined.
    "An opinion solicited does not equal one freely voiced," Al Swearengen, Deadwood 1877.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    If you're going to take it in and out of your vehicle every day a sports bag is great.

I use a Wilson tennis racket case for my SBR on the rare occasion I throw it in my car. Holds my 10.5" SBR, five 30 round mags, one 20 round in the gun, and the suppressor if I want. And I can grab it, walk anywhere, and nobody takes a second look with the huge Wilson logo on the side.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Here's my discreet case, was $29 when I ordered it and has room for a disassembled AR plus a separate compartment for mags, mag carrier, etc.:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o07_s00
    Tomac
    "His Universe, His rules." - Tomac

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I use a First Spear Noveske discreet rifle bag, but I don't leave it in my truck. This thing is great, looks like a camping back pack.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12