Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical Cannabis Discussion

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Medical Cannabis Discussion

No matter where you stand on this issue, a topic worth exploration without pre existing bias. I have no doubts there are legit medical uses for various compounds found in Marijuana - some of which are only now being examined in any depth - and it needs to be funded and studies by the NIH and or other major university level labs. Current control status and stigma prevents most medical researchers from touching it, but that appears to be changing. For those interested, some worthwhile resources that may be of value.

The endocannabinoid system for example is a fast emerging area of research. Several compounds found in cannabis (Phytocannabinoids) directly impact this system. The best known of course is Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the most psychoactive of them. Others however appear to have direct effects and benefits, and having no
    psychoactive effects, such as cannabidiol (CBD) and cannabinol (CBN) which appear to have anti inflammatory and possible anti cancer
    effects. Various pharma companies are looking into compounds that target receptors in Endocannabinoid System and is an Emerging Target of Pharmacotherapy for
    a wide range of human diseases.

Info on the endocannabinoid system HERE

Possible studies of interest HERE

This series was well done I thought. These are anecdotal discussions with users and med/sci types, but more than compelling enough that we need to move forward with additional legit study and less agenda and bias in my view and separate the topic from those who just want to get stoned from those with legit medical need:

http://www.awetv.com/miraclecure/
    Last edited by WillBrink; 05-26-17 at 10:52.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I don't doubt there are legit uses for it. My problem with it is everyone I know on MMJ was a stoner growing up and are doing nothing but looking for a legal way to get high as part of the bad back brigade or migraine mafia and "weed is the only thing that helps man". I'm sure there are plenty who don't fall into that crowd, but not among the people I personally know.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I am not aware of any randomized prospective studies in any of the peer-reviewed literature that provides evidence that there is any legitimate medical indication for cannabis. I would never "prescribe" it for that reason, not to mention the fact that it's illegal at the Federal level.

That doesn't mean I don't think it should be decriminalized, just that the medical angle is bullshit. Based on what we know so far.
    Last edited by Hmac; 09-11-15 at 20:26.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I am not aware of any randomized prospective studies in any of the peer-reviewed literature that provides evidence that there is any legitimate medical indication for cannabis. I would never "prescribe" it for that reason, not to mention the fact that it's illegal at the Federal level.

That doesn't mean I don't think it should be decriminalized, just that the medical angle is bullshit. Based on what we know so far.

There's more substantiation than many docs may realize but per my intro, what's clearly needed is additional study examining the various compounds and if they're effective for diseases for which they appear effective.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Robison View Post
    I don't doubt there are legit uses for it. My problem with it is everyone I know on MMJ was a stoner growing up and are doing nothing but looking for a legal way to get high as part of the bad back brigade or migraine mafia and "weed is the only thing that helps man". I'm sure there are plenty who don't fall into that crowd, but not among the people I personally know.
    This is my feelings on it as well. I agree there should be more studies, but at the same time I'd wish someone would find a way to bring it to the same level as cigars or cigarettes. I'm so tired of the hippy crowd and the "dazed & confused" groupies. This is the major reason I wish to leave Colorado.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm all for helping people suffer less. I hope there are advances that enable this through whatever means necessary.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 09-12-15 at 09:50.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    FWIW, a dear family friend is going thru the final stages of prostate cancer. Docs are working with him to not only make his time here comfortable, but productive, and worth living as well.

We're trying to get him to his granddaughter's wedding in May. The high CBD/CBN products are helping, and the lower THC levels make the experience less intense. He says it's on the level of a glass of wine.

Because of the disparity between state, federal, and even local laws, it's easier for his family to procure what he needs in their home states and then bring it to him. So now they're crossing state lines with schedule 1 items to help a septuagenarian with terminal cancer. It's the epitome of "you've gotta be kidding me." It also means everyone buys in bulk and drives for hours, because TSA/DEA/****ME.

I'd rant about the who's, why's, and whatever's, but shaking my righteous fist of indignation at the interwebs is less than futile.

If anyone's interested, here's a pretty good article on edibles -

http://boingboing.net/2014/11/18/eve...o-know-ab.html

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Much peace
    Jimmy

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjh View Post
    FWIW, a dear family friend is going thru the final stages of prostate cancer. Docs are working with him to not only make his time here comfortable, but productive, and worth living as well.

We're trying to get him to his granddaughter's wedding in May. The high CBD/CBN products are helping, and the lower THC levels make the experience less intense. He says it's on the level of a glass of wine.

Because of the disparity between state, federal, and even local laws, it's easier for his family to procure what he needs in their home states and then bring it to him. So now they're crossing state lines with schedule 1 items to help a septuagenarian with terminal cancer. It's the epitome of "you've gotta be kidding me." It also means everyone buys in bulk and drives for hours, because TSA/DEA/****ME.

I'd rant about the who's, why's, and whatever's, but shaking my righteous fist of indignation at the interwebs is less than futile.

If anyone's interested, here's a pretty good article on edibles -

http://boingboing.net/2014/11/18/eve...o-know-ab.html

Sent from 80ms in the future
    Much peace
    Jimmy
    I'd encourage you and others to watch that show I posted also. I concur the family should not have to have to risk jail to get it to him if he's finding it helpful.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 09-12-15 at 14:06.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I'd suggest hanging around some people who suffered traumatic spinal injuries. A number of them who battled with legal opioid addiction and how much better their lives are now that they are using only marijuana for pain relief. It helps people live better. And if some stoners want to use the medical excuse for their night blindness, who cares?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBecker 72 View Post
    I'd suggest hanging around some people who suffered traumatic spinal injuries. A number of them who battled with legal opioid addiction and how much better their lives are now that they are using only marijuana for pain relief. It helps people live better. And if some stoners want to use the medical excuse for their night blindness, who cares?
    There seems to be a number of conditions where Cannabis is of value and I have heard reports from both clinicians and users that Cannabis helped greatly with their condition(s). Whether there's better options and or there's a placebo aspect to it, I don't know. Hence, more research is warranted badly.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast