Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical Cannabis Discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Medical Cannabis Discussion

No matter where you stand on this issue, a topic worth exploration without pre existing bias. I have no doubts there are legit medical uses for various compounds found in Marijuana - some of which are only now being examined in any depth - and it needs to be funded and studies by the NIH and or other major university level labs. Current control status and stigma prevents most medical researchers from touching it, but that appears to be changing. For those interested, some worthwhile resources that may be of value.

The endocannabinoid system for example is a fast emerging area of research. Several compounds found in cannabis (Phytocannabinoids) directly impact this system. The best known of course is Delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the most psychoactive of them. Others however appear to have direct effects and benefits, and having no
    psychoactive effects, such as cannabidiol (CBD) and cannabinol (CBN) which appear to have anti inflammatory and possible anti cancer
    effects. Various pharma companies are looking into compounds that target receptors in Endocannabinoid System and is an Emerging Target of Pharmacotherapy for
    a wide range of human diseases.

Info on the endocannabinoid system HERE

Possible studies of interest HERE

This series was well done I thought. These are anecdotal discussions with users and med/sci types, but more than compelling enough that we need to move forward with additional legit study and less agenda and bias in my view and separate the topic from those who just want to get stoned from those with legit medical need:

http://www.awetv.com/miraclecure/
    Last edited by WillBrink; 05-26-17 at 10:52.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    I don't doubt there are legit uses for it. My problem with it is everyone I know on MMJ was a stoner growing up and are doing nothing but looking for a legal way to get high as part of the bad back brigade or migraine mafia and "weed is the only thing that helps man". I'm sure there are plenty who don't fall into that crowd, but not among the people I personally know.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I am not aware of any randomized prospective studies in any of the peer-reviewed literature that provides evidence that there is any legitimate medical indication for cannabis. I would never "prescribe" it for that reason, not to mention the fact that it's illegal at the Federal level.

That doesn't mean I don't think it should be decriminalized, just that the medical angle is bullshit. Based on what we know so far.
    Last edited by Hmac; 09-11-15 at 20:26.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post
    I am not aware of any randomized prospective studies in any of the peer-reviewed literature that provides evidence that there is any legitimate medical indication for cannabis. I would never "prescribe" it for that reason, not to mention the fact that it's illegal at the Federal level.

That doesn't mean I don't think it should be decriminalized, just that the medical angle is bullshit. Based on what we know so far.

There's more substantiation than many docs may realize but per my intro, what's clearly needed is additional study examining the various compounds and if they're effective for diseases for which they appear effective.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmac View Post

I can't recall what all was going on with this girl. I'm sure the info is out there. What I seem to recall is...

She had lots of seizures. They tried everything. A family with a similar issue said try the oil which they had no knowledge of. They got some illegally and her seizures diminished drastically. Moved to Colorado but had to move back here. Kept the pressure on and got a local law changed. http://www.nbcwashington.com/blogs/f...294211271.html

Now is it bullshit? I'm not a doctor. At the same time, that family doesn't strike me as your basic stoner looking for a loophole.

In my opinion, Marijuana should be treated exactly like home brew beer. Make what you want for yourself. Can trade and share reasonable quantities with friends if you like.

ETA:
    @WW -- I think that Charlottes Web are the people that helped this girl in my link. That's how they found out there may be some relief.
    Last edited by tb-av; 11-12-15 at 14:22.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    I can't recall what all was going on with this girl. I'm sure the info is out there. What I seem to recall is...

She had lots of seizures. They tried everything. A family with a similar issue said try the oil which they had no knowledge of. They got some illegally and her seizures diminished drastically. Moved to Colorado but had to move back here. Kept the pressure on and got a local law changed. http://www.nbcwashington.com/blogs/f...294211271.html

Now is it bullshit? I'm not a doctor. At the same time, that family doesn't strike me as your basic stoner looking for a loophole.

In my opinion, Marijuana should be treated exactly like home brew beer. Make what you want for yourself. Can trade and share reasonable quantities with friends if you like.

ETA:
    @WW -- I think that Charlottes Web are the people that helped this girl in my link. That's how they found out there may be some relief.
    Yes. Watch that video I posted, her father is a USMC vet if I am not mistaken.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thread bump. As expected, the changes in legal status in various states has lead to a big increase in research looking potential uses of compounds in Marijuana (mainly CBD) as a possible treatment for a variety of issues. Marijuana and some individual compounds found in Marijuana, are being looked at for PTSD. It should be noted that in some, Marijuana use can make PTSD worse, so not to be undertaken without supervision if diagnosed with PTSD. Various states have approved medical Marijuana for PTSD, and others (1) but check with your state for specifics.

A few recent studies of interest:

Brain-Imaging Study Links Cannabinoid Receptors to Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder

Cannabidiol Modulates Fear Memory Formation Through Interactions with Serotonergic Transmission in the Mesolimbic System.

Δ9-Tetrahydrocannabinol alone and combined with cannabidiol mitigate fear memory through reconsolidation disruption.

(1) Florida for example:

What Ailments Qualify For Medical Marijuana in Florida

Patients in Florida diagnosed with one of the following "debilitating medical conditions", are afforded legal protection under the Florida Medical Marijuana Legalization Initiative, as per Amendment 2:

Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
    Cancer
    Crohn's disease
    epilepsy
    glaucoma
    HIV/AIDS
    Seizures
    Chronic muscle spasms
    Multiple sclerosis
    Parkinson’s disease
    post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
    or any other ailment/condition of the same severity/symptoms, when determined by a physician's opinion that the medical use of marijuana would surpass any potential health risks
    Last edited by WillBrink; 05-03-17 at 17:53.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    I will respond to the safety issue, by saying the following. Medical marijuana as far as Israel is concerned is not green leaf product that you smoke. It is pharmaceutical grade refined out CBD's that are in pill form. injections and liquid for using in drops.

I am currently looking at the status of the industry in the USA, which is in great turmoil as it moves from back yard people to more serious individuals and companies.

We are looking at a large multimillion dollar investment to enter into the field and we will be tied back in to the cutting edge research in Israel. We hope to establish ourselves as a power in the field in the USA, Israel,Canada and the EU in the next 5- 7 years.

I predict that as more states legalize weed, we will see the stoners forced out of the legal weed industry. As governments create regulations for production and product safety along with stupidly high taxes you will see the stoners get back into the market once again selling cheaper bootleg weed.

None of which will really hit me, as I really think the big money in the future will be on the medical side of things.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    I will respond to the safety issue, by saying the following. Medical marijuana as far as Israel is concerned is not green leaf product that you smoke. It is pharmaceutical grade refined out CBD's that are in pill form. injections and liquid for using in drops.

I am currently looking at the status of the industry in the USA, which is in great turmoil as it moves from back yard people to more serious individuals and companies.

We are looking at a large multimillion dollar investment to enter into the field and we will be tied back in to the cutting edge research in Israel. We hope to establish ourselves as a power in the field in the USA, Israel,Canada and the EU in the next 5- 7 years.

I predict that as more states legalize weed, we will see the stoners forced out of the legal weed industry. As governments create regulations for production and product safety along with stupidly high taxes you will see the stoners get back into the market once again selling cheaper bootleg weed.

None of which will really hit me, as I really think the big money in the future will be on the medical side of things.
    The doc I have teamed up with is licensed in FL and ME.

Israel is way ahead of the curve and I know some of the most compelling research has come out of Israel and didn't just open head shops as say Netherland's has.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Robison View Post
    I don't doubt there are legit uses for it. My problem with it is everyone I know on MMJ was a stoner growing up and are doing nothing but looking for a legal way to get high as part of the bad back brigade or migraine mafia and "weed is the only thing that helps man". I'm sure there are plenty who don't fall into that crowd, but not among the people I personally know.
    This is my feelings on it as well. I agree there should be more studies, but at the same time I'd wish someone would find a way to bring it to the same level as cigars or cigarettes. I'm so tired of the hippy crowd and the "dazed & confused" groupies. This is the major reason I wish to leave Colorado.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast