Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Medical Cannabis Discussion

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic303 View Post
    Fwiw, this was published last week in the NEJM.http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra1407304
    Note "Dr. Devinsky reports receiving grant support from GW Pharmaceuticals and Novartis" As mentioned in the OP, this is an intensive area of research right now for pharma the endocannabinoid system is such an extensive area to target.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic303 View Post
    Fwiw, this was published last week in the NEJM.http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMra1407304
    What were their conclusions?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Sorry hmac, I do not have a subscription to NEJM so cannot read the whole article.
    Two broken Tigers, on fire in the night,
    Flicker their souls to the wind...
    -Roads to Moscow

Not Forgotten:
    http://www.virtualwall.org/dk/KillenJD01a.htm
    http://www.virtualwall.org/db/BoddenTR01a.htm

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TMW89 View Post
    I kinda see it all as BS and a reason for people to get high. I personally think that the placebo effect is what it comes down to. If I was high as shit I wouldn't be worried about my back being sore or what have you.
    It's just not for me, I guess if you say it helps you, then fine. But I'm still gonna judge you as a pothead. No offense to the stoners out there
    That's just it, though. Suppose it is only a placebo effect; so what? If people smoke grass and feel their pain alleviated, that's preferable to the known addiction risk of opiates.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I thought this an interesting thread bump topic:

What causes runners "high" It's not what you may think...

Homing In on the Source of Runner’s High

We’ve probably all heard someone exclaim, “Ah, my endorphins are kicking in!” at the end of a good run. Endorphins are famous for supposedly producing “runner’s high,” that fleeting sense of calm and euphoria that engulfs many of us after a satisfying workout.

But in fact, endorphins may be unfairly hogging the credit for making workouts enjoyable, according to an enlightening new experiment with animals. The findings suggest that endorphins have little to do with runner’s high. Instead, that euphoric feeling may be the product of a completely different but oddly familiar substance — the body’s own endocannabinoids, the chemicals that, like the cannabinoids in marijuana, lighten mood.

Endorphins first became a household word in the 1980s, when researchers found that blood levels increased after prolonged exercise. This finding made sense. Exercise can cause discomfort or pain, and endorphins are the body’s self-produced opiates, with pain-relieving properties much like morphine.

From that discovery, it was a short step to believing that endorphins must also produce the pleasurable mental sensations that many people feel after exercise.

But there is a substantial problem with that idea, and it involves the substantial-ness of endorphins. They are large molecules, too big to pass through the blood-brain barrier. They might staunch pain in the muscles, but they wouldn’t have effects directly inside the brain, where any high would originate.

Cont:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/1...-runners-high/
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    "endocannabinoids"

Love that word! Thanks for building my vocab.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    There are some double blind, peer reviewed articles out there in the British and Canadian Journals of Medicine out there that I will try to dig up after work that show cannabis' effectiveness on pain, especially when coupled with opiates. It seemed to make the opiates work better.

As someone who has had a lifetime of pain, (over 20 operations including 4 total hip replacements, and I'm in my 40's) and for years was on 120mg morphine and 40mg oxycontin, I can only give you my experience with cannabis. It completely screwed me up in middle/high school, and I went from straight A's to D's and F's. Later in life it helped me get off the opiates completely, made it possible for me to have a normal life, and go back to college. Plus I was less of an asshole like I was on opiates.

Smoking it didn't stop the pain, in my experience, it just made it so my mind wouldn't obsess over it. Eating it however was a different story, I was like the tin man who just got oiled up. Eating it absolutely decreased my pain and didn't fuzz up my brain as much. I had to discontinue use years ago when I started getting above trig in college, it just didn't allow my brain to function at that level. If they found a way to get the benefits from it without it affecting my concentration, and it was legal, I would be on it like white on rice.

just my .02c and experience with it.
    "We prepare, so we don't end up at the superdome"- unknown

"IMHO, if you wanted to shoot crap ammo, you should have bought a crap upper. It makes baby Jesus cry when he sees crap ammo put through a nice upper."- C4IGrant

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    A few very close friends of mine have benefitted from marijuana. A buddy, who was a helo crew chief in the AF, fell off an UH-60 breaking his back. Numerous surgeries, oxycontin, other hardcore drug patches, etc. and he was a strung out, depressed mess, in lots of pain. Marijuana helped him get off the narcotics, helped relieve his pain, and he's good to go now. He still smokes pot, says it helps his back, helps him sleep, and I'm cool with that.

Another great friend of mine uses it to deal with his Chron's. It works far better than any of the prescribed medicines he's used for the past 20 years.

Anecdotal? Yup. But if they say it helps them that's good enough for me. Besides that, America, freedom, and owning your own body, are all good enough reasons for me.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    A few very close friends of mine have benefitted from marijuana. A buddy, who was a helo crew chief in the AF, fell off an UH-60 breaking his back. Numerous surgeries, oxycontin, other hardcore drug patches, etc. and he was a strung out, depressed mess, in lots of pain. Marijuana helped him get off the narcotics, helped relieve his pain, and he's good to go now. He still smokes pot, says it helps his back, helps him sleep, and I'm cool with that.

Another great friend of mine uses it to deal with his Chron's. It works far better than any of the prescribed medicines he's used for the past 20 years.

Anecdotal? Yup. But if they say it helps them that's good enough for me. Besides that, America, freedom, and owning your own body, are all good enough reasons for me.
    FYI info to pass onto your buddy: he may get better effects on pain and mood with far lower risks due to smoking by using the various standardized for endocannabinoids oral products being produced.
    - Will

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    FYI info to pass onto your buddy: he may get better effects on pain and mood with far lower risks due to smoking by using the various standardized for endocannabinoids oral products being produced.
    I will definitely pass it along. Thanks Will.

Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast