Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which S&W .44 mag?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Which S&W .44 mag?

I have a 6 inch 357 in model 686. I want the larger frame "n" I think it is for my 44 mag.

But which model is best ? 29, 629 ......which would you buy and why?

I want a 6 inch barrel and I want a 44, what else should I consider. What model would you get ?

I jumped on gunbroker and got confused real fast.
    Last edited by Pappabear; 09-15-15 at 16:07.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    I'd go stainless (629). The blued finished look nice but in my experience are just waiting for an excuse to rust. Do you plan on carrying it a lot or is it mostly for the range? If you want a badass range gun or maybe hunting pistol I'd look at one of the full-underlug models maybe with the "powerport" if they still make it. I have one like that and it's a lot of fun but would be kind of a beast to carry. If you 629 is for for carry e.g. woods defense one with only enough underlug to cover the ejector (partial underlug? I can't remember the correct terminology). Either way I think it will be a good buy, they tend to hold their value well.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Agree with 629, but I have to recommend a Ruger Redhawk if you're open to it.

No lock, less expensive, and much more comfortable to shoot. I speak with experience on both.

Also, have you seen the new Stainless Smiths? They're not even stainless anymore. They're just...grey...
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    I've had a stainless 629 from that I bought new around 1998. I love it - it's my only big bore pistol and has been accurate and is OK to carry in the woods but lot heavier than my normal G26. Note don't use 44 mag snake shot to scare away a nuisance feral cat - from 5 yards away it will permanently "scare" it away

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Which S&W .44 mag?

Bear,

What is your intended use?

Check the model of your .357 as the 629 is a .44 Mag.

Pending further information, I would pick up a lightly used, blued model 29-2, or earlier, with a 6" barrel. Which model and year will also depend on whether or not you care about the lock.

Similar to this 4" barreled model.

Last edited by HKGuns; 09-13-15 at 09:13.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Which S&W .44 mag?

Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Also, have you seen the new Stainless Smiths? They're not even stainless anymore. They're just...grey...
    The stainless Smiths are absolutely still stainless. There are other models, made of other materials, but stainless is still stainless.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    The stainless Smiths are absolutely still stainless. There are other models, made of other materials, but stainless is still stainless.
    They're bead blasted then. They certainly aren't the shiny, reflective, sweet looking guns S&W used to make.

This is an excellent example of the finish on factory new Smiths I was looking at when I bought my 586 last week. They've changed something.

Additionally, reviews on BudsGunShop say the same thing
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...38SP+%2BP+4%22

i just bought myself a s&w 686p and love it. i was kinda nervous buying online but it worked out ok. shipping took about 10 days. the only thing i didnt like was the condition of the gun. it looked used and the finish was very dull. not what i expected from a new gun. the ffl dealer said it was because they test fired before they could sell it but ive bought many other guns and have never had that problem. other than tha the gun shoots fine.
    Received the gun today, the trigger and hammer almost burned to a crisp, the stainless steel is dark close to a grey color

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Yes, they are glass bead blasted, very different than not being stainless.

See the finish description of this pistol which has the same finish as the one in your picture.

Finish Description

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

Looks like that can be found for $800 at Buds. I might grab it. Just wish the stupid lock wasn't on them.

I wonder why they bead blast some of them. I really could not find any at my LGS that were not shiny like this one.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 09-13-15 at 11:20.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    It's really going to be a range toy to go with my 357. It's stainless in bead blast finish. I'm not a "keep it light" guy. I want the larger frame in a 6 to 8 inch barrel realm.

I do like some of the performance center guns. What is the lock? Like the lock on my 340P j frame? Prefer not to have it but not a deal killer for me.

I've even considered that M&P 8 shot 357 in black with rails and all that craziness. I like that gun. But for now I'm getting cranked up on a 44. It's purely a because I can deal. My Goto guns are my 9mm HK's. Just bought 9 more mags last week.

Anyway, is the frame I'm looking for a N frame ? Is there a way to easily recognize frame size ? I know they started making smaller frames in 44 and people digging it. Ie k frames or such Whatever

Thanks for the feedback guys.

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 09-13-15 at 12:53.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast