Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Which S&W .44 mag?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post
    Your 357 in SS could be a 627. The original N frame was a 357 some time pre-WW2 & then SS came out a "few" years ago.

It is not. He said this...

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I want the larger frame "n" I think it is for my 44 mag.
    ...so I was thinking it was a K or L frame. BTW, Pappabear if you open the cylinder the model number will be on the frame under the yoke.

then in a later post he said...

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    What is the lock? Like the lock on my 340P j frame?
    Last edited by titsonritz; 09-14-15 at 18:00.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    It is not......
    ???
    Papabear's 1st sentence stated that he had a "...6" 357 Model 629..." and that never existed. That's all I was referring to.
    But...

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ucrt View Post
    ???
    Papabear's 1st sentence stated that he had a "...6" 357 Model 629..." and that never existed. That's all I was referring to.
    But...

I should have separated your quotes...your first sentence, his .357 is not a 627 he stated it is a 340P. You are correct the first .357 was the S&W Registered Magnum which was released in 1935, however, 44 Special and the 357 predecessor 38/44 were built on the large frame (today called the N-frame) prior to the .357. Sorry for the confusion.

Feedback Score
    It's tough to beat a S&W N frame if you're looking for a double action .44 Magnum. Personally the lock on the newer guns is a total non issue to me on any steel frame gun, but others disagree.

I would look for one in stainless with the pinned front sight so easy changes can be made to front sight picture. Beyond that requirement all that is left to do would be putting on a set of grips/stocks that you like.

The Performance Center guns offer decently upgraded triggers out of the box with over travel stops. Worth the extra money to me, maybe not to you.

If you are open to a single action a Ruger Bisley or a Freedom Arms are tough to beat. I'm a Freedom Arms fan, but concede that they are not even remotely "cheap" in price. One if their M83's in .44 Magnum would be nearly indestructible, hence their popularity in big bore silhouette shooting.
    Last edited by Coal Dragger; 09-14-15 at 23:48.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have a 629 classic DX. Probably kinda hard to get ahold of one, but I cannot recommend it enough. It's insanely accurate, and gorgeous to boot. If you can find one, I'd be all over it.
    Gun and Gear Reviews- www.almosttacticalreviews.com

Feedback Score
    I remember those, the DX designation was given to those 629's that displayed exceptional accuracy. Very cool revolvers. I'd lover to have one as well.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I hope you guys enjoyed the conversation because I did exactly opposite what I said I would do. The .44 is going to have to be a Christmas present. I went cookoo and bought the M&P performance center R8 black with rails in 357. I've wanted that gun for some time too, in my travels I kept bumping into that gun......I bought that mofo. I guess the .44 is Xmas.

I really saw so many 44's I wanted. On gun broker I saw 629-1 629-2. The new 8 3/4 perf ctr gun drove me crazy. I went ADD on 44 and went back to a safe bet for me. Thanks for the 44 education. I now have more time to study 44's.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score

Which S&W .44 mag?

I got a 4" 629 years ago and am very happy with it as a range toy and carry gun for my saltwater boat. It is very accurate. It sits in my wife's nightstand when I'm out of town, with 44spl hollow points, it's a pussycat.
    Last edited by colt933; 09-15-15 at 13:25.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    I remember those, the DX designation was given to those 629's that displayed exceptional accuracy. Very cool revolvers. I'd lover to have one as well.
    Sort of, some people suggest that these guns were "hand selected" as the most accurate of the bunch within the classic models, however, these models were simply pulled from the standard Classic line, test fired and met whatever the accuracy standard was and label DX, however, this doesn't mean any of the standard production models did NOT meet the standard, rather the DX models were simply labeled and marketed as such. I have never cared for the heavy underlug barrel profile found on the Classic series and L frames, just a personal preference, but they are an outstanding revolver.

Feedback Score
    That makes sense on the DX model, something more along the lines of spot checking for QC and when a gun was found to meet the stadard it was designated as a DX. I remembered reading about it but couldn't recall the details on how a DX model was selected.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast