Thread: 300 Win Mag "Starter" Ammo?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)

300 Win Mag "Starter" Ammo?

I'm setting up a Rem 700 5r in the aforementioned caliber. I haven't bought any reloading components for it yet, and I was hoping that I could glean some info from the community here. I'm considering buying a couple hundred rounds of a less expensive factory load to get started and then using the brass for reloading. I'll be initially shooting at 435 yards, since that all the space available nearby. Next summer I'll stretch out further.

1-What ammo would you recommend based on case quality? At Midway, Hornady, Fusion, Federal, PRVI, and Winchester have loadings around or under the $30 mark. I was specifically thinking of the Hornady 195gr BTHP, or the 180gr SST loadings.

2-If you were going to go straight to buying components, what would you recommend? I'm guessing one or two of you probably own the same rifle.

3-I'm going to be buying a Larry Willis Belted Magnum Collet Resizing Die. Other than a Hornady Modified Case, I have no other reloading equipment specific to this cartridge. Recommendations for dies? I usually use Lee's Neck Sizing Collet Die and FCD on most other calibers I want accurate loads from.

Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I wouldn't buy factory loads to get brass. We suffered for months trying to get garbage factory brass to shoot well. In my opinion, there are only two options.. NORMA and RWS. Norma is a little higher quality, but RWS is very rugged and lasts for damned near ever if you get the Larry Willis die.

Pappabear keeps the NORMA for hunting ammo with 200 gr Accubonds, and the RWS is for Target shooting with 208 AMAX.

For Pappabears 5R, 208 AMAX shot, by far, the best. We use H-1000 with WIN LR primers. Magnum primers didn't do too well... they seemed to be too hot for consistent loads/good S.D.s.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Thanks for the info. I'm glad I asked first. Do you still find yourself using a FL die?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I Full Length size all rifle ammo every time. There's a handful of shooters on accurateshooter.com's forums that do this. I don't feel it hurts accuracy at all. And with the volume of ammo I load for two shooters, and several guns.... it's simpler to just size everything. I set my 300 WM die up so that it headspaces off the shoulder. FL sizing helps greatly in how often and how much force you'll need with your Larry Willis die too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Markm has given you very good advice.

My only comment would be to consider having a die made by the RCBS (Huntingtons) custom shop or some other custom die maker based on the fired cases from your rifle.

When you do this you can full length resize with thumb and fore finger. The die matches your chamber perfectly.

I have used these in .300 Weatherby, .375 Improved, and 450 Dakota, all very long cases, and it really makes sizing them a snap. I also use custom dies for 22-250 Improved which is a very slab sided case. It will spoil you for any other die.

I am surprised that the military did not adopt a proprietory .300 ctg without belt and with a longer case neck, like the .308 Norma magnum. And seat bullet out to 3.6 inches while you are at it. That wold be less case capacity than the new .300 Norma which uses a .338 Lapua based case but give you about 100 fps more than a .300 Winchester. Seating out to 3.6 inches gives you about four more grains of 4831.

Enjoy your new rifle! You will find 500 and 600 yard shots are, "Gimmie" putts.

Feedback Score
    When building a load, if it's to be a long range load I only test the loads at 300+ yds. I had a 300wsm, the bullets wouldn't stabilize until 275yds

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Markm-Would you mind sharing your 208 AMAX load? I have the bullets on the way.

Are any of you using the Lee Collet Neck Sizing Die or the Lee FCD? Turns out I do have a set of Hornady Dies for this caliber. I haven't ordered the LW die yet, but I'll get it before too long.

I got the rifle back with the Muzzle brake installed, A 308 kicks more, so at least that's taken care of. The JP Muzzle break looks ridiculous, but it certainly does it's job.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I can post my load. But it's BRASS SPECIFIC. Norma Brass has much greater internal capacity than RWS brass. When I load 208s in RWS brass, I run 75.0 grains of H1000 with WLR (non Magnum) primers.

I use the Lee Collet neck sizing die, and don't crimp.