Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ECHO-2: My XM177E2 Clone build! (In Progress)

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

ECHO-2: My XM177E2 Clone build! (In Progress)

So, after reading militarymoron's post, I decided I had to have my very own XM177E2 clone. I bought the Griffin Armament XM Linear Comp first since that's kind of the defining feature of the gun. (Is funny how some guns are like that, defined by a particular item.) Next I picked up an A1 upper. Since I have some sort of fascination with the teardrop forward assist, I chose to build an "E2" rather than a slick side GAU-5. The A1 upper came mostly stripped, just had the rear sight assembly. As you can see, the finish is pretty worn in spots. Since it's likely I'll end up using a standard A2 lower that will come black, I'll see about refinishing the upper and the lower and whatever else needs it in a Colt XM gray finish. Not sure which one yet.

Looking at the parts I own already, I have an A1 grip, some shiny black 6-hole skinny hand guards and, while not model correct, a Colt N1 stock. It'll do for now. I picked up the teardrop forward assist of a guy on GunBroker and an A1 ejection port door and RE locking ring with the spanner hole from a guy on another forum. I'll probably use modern parts for the rest. Right now, I'm trying to figure out what to do about a barrel. I'm planning to use a 12.5" barrel and P&W the Griffin linear comp to make it 16" and change OAL. I don't see much point in filing SBR paperwork just to save an inch or so in barrel length just to be more correct looking.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

-VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    looks good, I don't see why going with modern day internals would be a problem- it will save a ton of time trying to track down correct pieces. I am in the process of building a period correct 629/653 in special force configuration.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Got an example pic? I'm not too familiar with the retro guns.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Good luck with the XM177E2 build. I would recommend getting a correct A1 lower from Nodak Spud. You would be much happier with the build if you did. Also, as far as the stock goes, Essential Arms has some nice reproduction aluminum CAR stocks that have a glossy powder-coat finish. Also, Nodak Spud has reproduction 2-position buffer tubes and early castle nuts. I built my XM177E2 a couple years ago.

This is an original Colt vinyl acetate aluminum stock assembly.

BTW, here is a 653 build I did as well.

Last edited by Renegade04; 08-03-16 at 16:51.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    wow, what a great collection of early Colt examples. That 653 looks original with that flat delta ring assembly. Good job on both rifles!

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Good luck with the XM177E2 build. I would recommend getting a correct A1 lower from Nodak Spud. You would be much happier with the build if you did. Also, as far as the stock goes, Essential Arms has some nice reproduction aluminum CAR stocks that have a glossy powder-coat finish. Also, Nodak Spud has reproduction 2-position buffer tubes and early castle nuts. I built my XM177E2 a couple years ago.

just out of curiosity, on your xm117e2, your barrel .625 with a .750 gas block? how long is your barrel?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    just out of curiosity, on your xm117e2, your barrel .625 with a .750 gas block? how long is your barrel?
    You are correct about the barrel. Since I was not building a 100% correct version, I went with a Model 1 Sales lightweight 16" barrel and had it cut down to 12.75" and had the moderator and grenade ring installed. The moderator in pinned and welded. The OAL is about 16.25". I removed the bayonet lug myself and touched up the area.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo2304 View Post
    I'm planning to use a 12.5" barrel and P&W the Griffin linear comp to make it 16" and change OAL.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    if you can find the daniel defense 12.5" LW barrel with front sight already attached, i'd go that route. but, i haven't seen any in stock for a while. or, buy a 16" LW and cut it down. good luck on your build! you're going to have a lot of fun with it, as i did mine.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade04 View Post
    Wish I had known about Essential Arms when I got my Aluminum stock from Tony's Customs LLC. I find that Vinyl Acetate will fall apart in hot humid air like in Georgia. So I got a anodized aluminum stock. And I'm planning on re anodizing it black with a glossy finish. Powder coats are nice until you scratch the surface and can't play touch up with a sharpie with the same color. Just putting that out there. OP your N1 stock will be great if you just want a similar look alike gun. My son did and I'm jealous that it looks kinda cool.image.jpgimage.jpg
    "Guns are tools; people are the real weapons!"
    - Anonymous
    "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."
    - Albert Einstein
    “An armed society is a polite society.”
    - Robert Heinlein

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    if you can find the daniel defense 12.5" LW barrel with front sight already attached, i'd go that route. but, i haven't seen any in stock for a while. or, buy a 16" LW and cut it down. good luck on your build! you're going to have a lot of fun with it, as i did mine.
    Searching for my options, I stumbled upon the Daniel Defense barrel you mentioned. AIM Surplus had them at one time, but no more. A member here had one for sale in the EE back in April, but it's been sold. Other than that, it would be a miracle to see one up for sale...at least, before I pin & weld the moderator to the barrel I eventually settle on. After I finish my upper, suddenly there'll be a dozen for sale.

I bought a 6720 upper off a guy with the intentions of chopping the barrel. Then it dawned on me, I have a 6520. I could simply "convert" it to a 6720 with the new upper and chop the barrel of my 6520. The foolishly sentimental part of me doesn't really want to do this because: Colt. Of course, AFTER I had bought the 6720 upper and while waiting for it's arrival, another gentleman put up for sale a 6520 barrel with everything but the gas tube and hand guards. Sadly, it was sold before I could scrounge funds to pick it up.

I feel this project is turning into something of a money pit. I've already bought two uppers. Because the first one was mostly stripped and in moderately battle worn condition, I decided to buy another one complete and in better condition. I also picked up some parts to finish the first one as well as a spanner-style nut for the receiver extension. I've also been looking for a more correct aluminum stock, original or copy. I found an original assembly from stock to end plate and with the spring and buffer, just needing a lower to mate with. The guy was asking $500. Too damn rich for my blood. I've seen a copy (Essential Arms) here and there, but they're all for the commercial tube. I don't know why, but I just throw up in my mouth a little at the thought of a commercial tube. I understand their place in the AR history, but I don't understand why they still exist. It seems like having the means to do it right, but using bailing wire and duct tape anyway.
    I'll worry about it later.
    Right now, I'm trying to figure out if the delta ring should be black or gray or if it should actually be flat and gray. I would like to be as correct as possible without going "full retard", price wise.
    That's where I stand right now with this project. Hopefully some of it made sense. Now, if you'll excuse me, daddy needs a drink.
    Last edited by halo2304; 10-07-15 at 20:08.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast