Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ECHO-2: My XM177E2 Clone build! (In Progress)

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Sorry that happened to you!

That 16.25" may still not be legal, I was under the impression it had to be blind pinned, silver soldered, or welded somehow more than a single tack.. Least of your concerns now, I know.

I'd be pissed too.. Take a DEEP breath.. No biggy, just try and get reimbursed before you start working on it, otherwise you'll be pissed while working on it, when you should be enjoying yourself! Give him hell, and good luck!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Wow that sucks...
    I like to give money to local businesses too but in some cases it's best to just send your stuff out to somebody with a known good reputation, rather than take a chance with a local unknown quantity. Hope you can get this straightened out.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Here's what it looked like after I snapped the tack welds and pulled the linear comp off. As you can see, they just machined the barrel down so the LC could slip over.

Nice crown on the muzzle.

Here you can see the grenade ring with the remains of the tack welds. I have a new one coming from Griffin Armament.

I spent some time weighing my options and came up with a few possible solutions with my father who's an experienced welder and engineer.
    A) Use some shim material to wedge between the threads and the muzzle.
    B) Turn the muzzle down some more, bore out the threads on the LC, create a bushing to fit between them using a heat/shrink fit.
    C) Braze on a layer of silica bronze, turn and thread.
    D) Send it to John Thomas of Retro Arms Works so he can professionally "un-****" it. (Cost quoted: $60-$125)
    E) Sell the barrel to someone in need of a 11.5" barrel or shorter for something like the Colt 733.

The solution we decided on was to lay down stripes of silica bronze using a TIG torch, turn it down in a lathe and then thread it so we can then pin & weld it.

If this turns out poorly, I suppose I can always resort to option 'D' or 'E'.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    D......definitely D

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    "D" ... definitely go with that one.

This clown you took it to was obviously oblivious to the fact it was way over his head. Unfortunately he's they type of "gunsmith" the new and pathetic State Department regulations are trying to put out of business. Antics of his such as these only lend to their cause which of course runs contrary to our's.
    Never forget every word you spoke when you took your oath of office.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    That gunsmith that did the work butchered it. The grenade ring is to slip over the muzzle, the muzzle device to be threaded onto the muzzle, the hole for the pin to be drilled, the pin inserted, and then either silver soldered or welded. The muzzle device and the grenade ring are not to be welded together. Any good gunsmith should know this. I just hope everything works out in the end.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Feedback Score
    If your plan A does not work, send it to John Thomas, his work is outstanding and turn around time is quick.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    It's on the back burner for now. I've got other things I'm dealing with. The bronze threads didn't come out as well as I had hoped. I've got a Daniel Defense 12.5" LW barrel that I might use instead.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    Sorry to hear that. Good luck and post pictures when you complete, it took me 2 years to get my xm completed. JT shaved my FSB and painted the furniture green for a 601 build and did all my barrel work on my xm: shortened a brownells barrel, threaded and attached the muzzle break. The work was outstanding. Again good luck.
    Last edited by Bert762; 01-25-17 at 05:56.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234