Thread: Rifle drills from low ready?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Rifle drills from low ready?

So I was doing some shooting yesterday with my cousin, who's a good pistol shooter.

One drill in particular we ran was a double tap to the chest A zone at 7 yds. He ran a stock Glock 17 and did it around 1.3 to 1.4 seconds as a personal best, from a safariland ALS holster OWB.

I ran an AR with iron sights, a2 flash hider, and G2S trigger (SSA basically, not a single stage super light trigger) and, from low ready (about 45 degrees down), did it in something like 0.6 seconds. I pushed it to 5 A zone hits in 0.98 seconds from low ready, which isn't amazingly fast compared to professional shooters, but it is compared to even some of the best pistol shooters in the world... drawing from a holster.

So anyway we thought of ways to balance things out even more. After some testing and thought while shoving ammo into magazines, we eventually decided that if a pistol shooter is starting holstered, the rifle shooter should start hanging from a sling. But we allowed primary hand on pistol grip to control the weapon as would be realistic.

The thought process is that if you're going to practice a 0 to 60 acceleration from patrol mode to contact, you should start with the rifle as you would carry it, just like you start the pistol as you would carry it. So the final starting stance was feet roughly shoulder width apart, knees NOT bent into a shooting/fighting stance, back straight, rifle slung across chest, primary hand on pistol grip, support hand can be on the hand guard, but we found it more interesting to start with the support hand off the rail.

We also tried a USPSA surrender position with the rifle (slung) to simulate two handed actions, which got us closest to pistol draw time, but it was kind of unrealistic.

Has anyone else done drills or training where the rifle starts slung instead of in the low ready? Any thoughts on training like that?
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Koshinn View Post
    Has anyone else done drills or training where the rifle starts slung instead of in the low ready? Any thoughts on training like that?
    Not sure if it's agency-wide or not, but a couple years ago one of our officers came back from cross training with a Tac team from one of the alphabet soup agencies. They had been doing drills that involved snapping up from a "relaxed ready" (my words) position. It sounds similar to how you described, with 1 hand on the grip, the other on the hand guard, muzzle down, with the stock off the shoulder.

i recall that the times went up, somewhat more in line with draw-to-the-shot times.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've found it's still a bit quicker to mount a rifle in what you call relaxed ready than it is to draw a pistol.

I'm glad others are doing it to, but I'm also surprised this isn't more mainstream.

Feedback Score
    I've found it's still a bit quicker to mount a rifle in what you call relaxed ready than it is to draw a pistol.

I'm glad others are doing it to, but I'm also surprised this isn't more mainstream.
    they teach this at Front Sight, it's standard for them in all their classes, handgun to shotgun, etc.. Uzi, etc.. during master prep you do spinning head shots under 1 second from a holster. it's gnarly. but good to practice and is more realistic
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by waveslayer View Post
    they teach this at Front Sight, it's standard for them in all their classes, handgun to shotgun, etc.. Uzi, etc.. during master prep you do spinning head shots under 1 second from a holster. it's gnarly. but good to practice and is more realistic
    I'll be honest, I don't know too many people who've been to Front Sight... and I live so close to there I could probably go on any weekend.

Feedback Score
    I'll be honest, I don't know too many people who've been to Front Sight... and I live so close to there I could probably go on any weekend.
    you should try it out, great for basics then a few advanced stuff, but that is about it. I recommend it, best training for the price
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think it's a great idea. We used to do it that way when I was active duty, and it made sense. In fact, we used to have to force the shooters to keep it "at the alert" because they wanted to shave time off of their qual.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    We would do similar in my unit when doing ready-up drills and such, never live fire though for some reason. All of our live fire reflexive fire was done from the low ready; acquire target; engage. While static, moving, various distances and positions, from cover/barriers, etc.