Thread: Observations on the Barnes 70 Grain TSX

Feedback Score

Observations on the Barnes 70 Grain TSX

The Barnes 70 grain TSX is a very long bullet for its weight and caliber. At a nominal length of 1.037” it is longer than the heavier 77 grain Sierra MatchKing.

Besides being a long bullet, the 70 grain TSX has a specific gravity much lower than a copper jacketed/lead core bullet due to its sold copper construction. For example, the Hornady 75 grain BTHP has a specific gravity of approximately 10.3, while the Barnes 70 grain TSX has a specific gravity of only 8.9.

The Barnes 70 grain TSX will be unstable from a 1:9” twist barrel with a gyroscopic stability factor of less than 1 at all velocities. The 70 grain TSX will only be marginally stable in a 1:8” twist barrel with a G.S.F. of 1.05 at 2500 fps. A 1:7” twist barrel will produce acceptable stability with the 70 grain TSX with a G.S.F. of 1.37 at 2500 fps.

Can you tell the difference between the Barnes 70 grain M/LE TAC-X Tactical Bullet and the Barnes 70 grain TSX Triple-Shock X bullet?

Silver State Armory's 70 grain TSX load (pre-Nosler takeover) easily matched the reported muzzle velocity of the 5.56mm Optimized load. From a 16" Colt barrel with a NATO chamber, chrome lining and a 1:7" twist, the SSA load had a muzzle velocity of 2788 FPS with a standard deviation of 15 FPS. From a 20" Colt barrel it had a muzzle velocity of 2899 FPS with a standard deviation of 21 FPS.

As I previously posted, the Silver State Armory 70 grain TSX load had a muzzle velocity of 2899 fps from a 20" Colt barrel. This is a hot load. Factory loads using equivalent weight bullets, for example the Federal Gold Medal 69 grain Sierra MatchKing, generally run around 2750 fps from a 20” Colt barrel.

Since the SSA 70 grain TSX load is such a hot load, I decided not to use my Krieger barrel, with its match chamber, to evaluate the accuracy of the SSA load. Instead, I used my 20” Noveske HBAR which has a chamber designed to fire the military pressure MK262 load safely, on full-auto, in hot environments. This barrel has a 1:7” twist. Using match grade hand-loads, this barrel turned in a 10-shot group at 100 yards that had an extreme spread of 0.726”.

Previous accuracy testing using hand-loads of the 70 grain TSX bullet proved the bullet itself to be capable of some fine accuracy. A 10-shot group fired from my Krieger barreled AR-15 at 100 yards had an extreme spread of 1.12”.

The SSA 70 grain TSX load was tested shooting from a bench-rest at a distance of 100 yards. A Leupold Competition scope with a magnification of 45X was used for sighting. Wind conditions were monitored using a Wind Probe.

Just for kicks, I did something a little different this time. I fired two 5-shot groups! Those groups had extreme spreads of 1.22” and 1.91”. I then fired a traditional 10-shot group, which had an extreme spread of 1.93” and a mean radius of 0.61”. I over-layed the two 5-shot groups on each other using RSI Shooting Lab to form a 10-shot composite group. The 10-shot composite group had an extreme spread of 1.93” and a mean radius of 0.63”.

As I posted previously in this thread, a barrel with a 1:9” twist theoretically will not stabilize the 70 grain TSX. I put the theory to test using a Colt 16” HBAR with a 1:9” twist.

I fired a 10-shot group of the 70 grain TSX round at a distance of 100 yards using the 1:9” twist barrel. Accuracy was terrible; the group had an extreme spread of over 3 inches. Several of the bullet holes were slightly oblong in shape and a coulple of the bullet holes were clearly “key-holed” demonstrating that a 1:9” twist barrel will indeed not stabilize the 70 grain TSX.

All that is necessary for trolls to flourish, is for good men to do nothing.

Feedback Score
    isn't the reason the all copper is longer because of the density issues not having lead... so any all copper bullet would be longer to get the weight up, that's why the 77 SMK is shorter
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    as always thanks for posting up the testing info.
    we surely do appreciate your results and hard work.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thanks Molon, as always great analysis and contribution.

Can you tell the difference between the Barnes 70 grain M/LE TAC-X Tactical Bullet and the Barnes 70 grain TSX Triple-Shock X bullet?
    I give up.... same exact bullet?

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Great thread as always Molon. Do you have any idea on how fast the velocity on these drops off compared to a traditional jacketed bullet of the same weight? What would be a general effective range for the TSX to expand reliably at 2900 fps MV?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Great write up. I've had excellent results on deer with the 70 gr TSX.
    Politician's Prefer Unarmed Peasants

Feedback Score
    39 (100%)
    i know a couple of guys that hunt deer and hog with the 70 grain tsx(handload)and they tell me every one has been DRT if they do their part.