Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Best 5.56 defensive round for expansion and cavity size

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    Cows have thick skulls and small brains, so may have missed the animals brain by a freak of trajectory. As you said, only a real look inside would tell the story there.
    Not to mention, the sinus cavity is quite large. My first job was working for a large animal veterinarian. We did a lot of cosmetic de horns on show cattle, and it amazed me just how much of the skull above and behind the eyes was a total void.

If I were going to put a cow down, I'd shoot it from the front, not behind the ear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post

If I were going to put a cow down, I'd shoot it from the front, not behind the ear.

That's generally how I do it, but she kept turning from me and would not give me a clean shot.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post
    That's generally how I do it, but she kept turning from me and would not give me a clean shot.

I hear you...wasn't critiquing you, just an observation. It's never a good or ideal situation.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JC5188 View Post
    I hear you...wasn't critiquing you, just an observation. It's never a good or ideal situation.

I knew you weren't, just wanted to make sure everyone else knew though too.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by TraumaPlateDuctTape View Post
    There are a lot of youtube gel tests about this, but I found them to be mostly indifferent and inconclusive. What is considered to be the most effective round for putting someone down fast with maximum blood loss? I imagine it's high-velocity and light-grained, with some sort of expanding bullet?
    I would think any loading (5.56 or .223) that kills deer reasonably well will take care of any social problems that need to be settled by a rifle.

The old Winchester 64 gr power point is a well balanced load. It will give you penetration and expansion and is easily found.

If you must have a 5.56 rated load, I like to Mexican Match 64 gr Nosler BSB's into IMI or Federal M855 ammo. (2950 fps + or - 50 FPS from a 16" carbine).

Just pull the existing fmj bullet with a collet puller and seat the hunting bullet.

Any deer hunting bullet of 60grs or better, at 2700 to 3000 FPS will work.

I have killed many deer with my AR-15 since I got it in 1976, using Speer 70 gr Round noses and Nosler Partitions, Winchester 64 gr power points and now the Nosler 64 gr BSB. From 25 yds to 200 yds. Heart and lung shots put the deer down quickly and humanely.

So I can assure you the 60 + gr expanding bullets will handle a defensive situation.

What ever load you get, shoot it a lot and get good with that rifle, hitting is the most important thing! Bullet selection is way down the list!

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021