Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: (9mm AR) hollowpoints at 75yards.

Feedback Score

(9mm AR) hollowpoints at 75yards.

I wanted to share this in the AR Pistol treads (instead of the ammo threads) because i wanted to show the proformance of a 9mm HP out of an 8" barrel AR at ranges longer than they were disigned for. I was interested in how the round i chose was going to preform. I originally chose this round for its clamed barrier blind abilities. Because it is "barrier blind" i was concerned about it ability to expand at longer ranges due to its thicker jacket and polymer plugged cavity.

EDIT: 8.5" barrel

I guess that gave away what round i chose. Its the Hornady Critical Duity 135gr +P. My ballistics calculator say is should be traveling at around 1210fps at the muzzle and have 439 ftlbs of energy. I only got to shoot the round at 5 yards and 75 yards. I still want to do 100 yards and 125 yards. At 75 yards the velocity should be around 1080fps with 350 ftlbs of energy. With my 25 yard zero the POA & POI are prity much dead on at 75 yards . For future referance: 100 yards, 1048fps/330ftlbs/2"drop.... 125 yards, 1020fps/310ftlbs/6"drop.

This info was calculated with the velocity and B.C. Listed on hornadys website.

In the end i was impressed. the target was a thick walled ( .25") plastic container full of water. Both of these rounds dented the back of the container and almost exited. The length that the bullets travled in the water before hitting the inside wall of the container was 24". I know its not ballistics gel but its all i had.��

The bullet on the left was at 5 yards and the right was at 75 yards. The expansion of the 5yard bullet was .76 at the largest but as you can see there is a peice of the copper jacket in one spot that is sticking WAY out. if you dont count that part of the jacket than the larges dimension is .60. The 75 yard bullets largest dimension is right on.50.

Let me know what you think of the results and if your interested in seeing the 100yard and 125 yard results. If not ill do it for my own education.

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by U&A; 09-29-15 at 19:40.
    know The Basics At A Superbowl Level. (I Think Larry Vickers Said That...)

Feedback Score
    Interesting to me. I have a 9mm and find that it is lobbing, not lasering, rounds at 80-100 yds.

Your testing confirms what many of us have speculated... You do not want to be on the receiving end at longer ranges. Interested in further outcomes.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I wouldn't want to be hit by it from either range.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    while im at it when shooting the 100 yard and 125 yard I will try for 150. that is the MAX i can get out of my woods without cutting a shooting lane. wont be able to do this for a few weeks though.

Feedback Score
    I was watching a video on Youtube titled "How far can a 9mm kill?" or something like that. Interesting. He was using a CZ75. Then a Keltec Carbine for 200+yds.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    When our agency had 9mm Colt SMG's with 12" barrels I had the opportunity to shoot them at 100 yards. I fired a few of them that shot really tight groups at 100 yards with Winchester +P+ 115g JHP. A couple of them would shoot tight 10 shot groups with several rounds touching.

Don't discount the capability of a pistol caliber carbine. Besides, it's the arrow not the Indian.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by cliffspot View Post
    I was watching a video on Youtube titled "How far can a 9mm kill?" or something like that. Interesting. He was using a CZ75. Then a Keltec Carbine for 200+yds.
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    When our agency had 9mm Colt SMG's with 12" barrels I had the opportunity to shoot them at 100 yards. I fired a few of them that shot really tight groups at 100 yards with Winchester +P+ 115g JHP. A couple of them would shoot tight 10 shot groups with several rounds touching.

Don't discount the capability of a pistol caliber carbine. Besides, it's the arrow not the Indian.

both are very good points to bring up in this thread. I did see the video you are talking about "cliffspot". very interesting.

I wanted to take it in a different direction though. Im not concerned about the lethality at long distance. Just interested in the ranges that a hollow point, or should i say this specific hollow point, will do its job of expanding reliably. after I do the 150 yard test i have a place that I can reach out to about 300 if I need to.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have doubts about 9mm hollow point expansion at 100 yards and farther. If you decide to test at longer distances the results would be interesting for many of us.
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    I have doubts about 9mm hollow point expansion at 100 yards and farther. If you decide to test at longer distances the results would be interesting for many of us.
    here"s my thoughts.....and im spitballin a little.

all of the smaller framed short slide semi-auto pistols produce such low velocity's compared to what the 9mm was supposed to produce but they are still showing reliable expansion. those guns are showing velocities as low as the mid to low 800fps range. my calculator is showing 847fps at 350 yards. I think it will still expand at 350 if I can hit the target at 350 with a 9mm.

FYI for anyone that may be questioning this "testing" (using that word loosely),...let me be clear that this is for fun only. I am using the wrong media (water) in the first place. I am NOT doing this to determine if I can shot anything living at these ranges either....just for information and fun ONLY.

Feedback Score
    Imp@ct velocity is the issue. Imp@ct with 8.5. @t 75-100 should be simil@r to comp@ct to subcomp@ct pistol up close. Chrono from your @ctu@l gun inste@d of guessing from ch@rt , then use your b@llist progr@m.

The re@l question is bullet perform@nce up close , where imp@ct vel is higher th@n intended.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast