Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Loose gas key

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkeg View Post
    I would be worried that one of the bolts is broken. The staking holds the top in place, but it's separated from the part in the carrier.
    Bolts appear to be in tact...

Attached are pix of the bolts and the key...

Attachment 35211

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    looks like the pic of the bolts didn't attach...trying again

Attachment 35212

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Replacing the screws is cheap insurance. Shooting the AR with the gas key screws loose will cause the screws to shear. The old screws may already be damaged

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Agree...I will be getting new bolts and a new gas key for it.

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Replacing the screws is cheap insurance. Shooting the AR with the gas key screws loose will cause the screws to shear. The old screws may already be damaged

Feedback Score
    The screws don't actually have to move for the gas key to come loose. Once that seal between the gas key and carrier is compromised, the pressure will cause the threads to stretch. That's why some people don't believe in staking, as it doesn't seem to prevent much of anything. So long as the screws are torqued down hard enough, they're not going to spontaneously rotate on their own.

The most important part of installing a gas key is preparing the surfaces. You can stake those screws as hard as you want, but it won't do a thing for you if you didn't get a good seal to begin with.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkeg View Post
    I would be worried that one of the bolts is broken. The staking holds the top in place, but it's separated from the part in the carrier.
    That happened to me, able to get the other one off and enough screw body for pliers. New screws and stake, good to go.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nightchief View Post
    How do I stake the gas key? I mean, what tool(s) is/are used for this? I've staked endplates, but never a gas key...

NC
    Get out your copy of TM 9-1005-319-23 and P (here)

Go to Work Package (WP) 0013, it deals with the entire process of replacing the carrier key, staking is specifically addressed on page 0013-2.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HansTheHobbit View Post
    The screws don't actually have to move for the gas key to come loose. Once that seal between the gas key and carrier is compromised, the pressure will cause the threads to stretch. That's why some people don't believe in staking, as it doesn't seem to prevent much of anything. So long as the screws are torqued down hard enough, they're not going to spontaneously rotate on their own.

The most important part of installing a gas key is preparing the surfaces. You can stake those screws as hard as you want, but it won't do a thing for you if you didn't get a good seal to begin with.
    The vast majority of gas keys vent out gas from under the gas key. Unless some gasket sealing compound was used, which is opposite to the "mil-spec", it's gonna vent gas.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Staking is only debated by sub par companies that don't do it. I have seen very few stakings that were done correctly result in the key coming loose.

Quote Originally Posted by HansTheHobbit View Post
    Knowing BCM customer service, they'll probably fix it. If not, then just crank 'em back down. It's actually up for debate whether staking does much good or not. It certainly doesn't hurt, except that it's permanent, but as you have experienced it's entirely possible for even properly staked gas keys to come loose.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I contacted BCM and they requested I send it back to them to evaluate. Will follow up when after BCM evaluates the carrier and key.

NC

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast