Thread: Safety Selector Stiffness

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)

Safety Selector Stiffness

Hey everyone. Got a question about a safety selector that's stiff from Safe to 45 degrees towards Fire and vice versa. I'm in the middle of a build (just realized I forgot to buy a castle nut so I'm in no rush) using my trusty Walt Kuleck AR15 assembly guide. And I'll probably trouble shoot this more in the morning but figured I might ask you guys what you think I should check.

Here's the setup:
    Rainier Arms A-DAC-F Lower (45 degree safety compatible)
    Brownells LPK
    Geissele Tri Con (blem) trigger
    standard 90 degree safety

(With no Hammer installed, no safety selector detent spring nor detent)
    The safety selector is moves freely w/o binding

(With Hammer installed, no safety selector detent spring nor detent)
    From Fire to Safe, the Safety selector binds near at about 45 degrees and then slides home to "Safe". Also moving out of Safe it under tension and slides out to about 45 Degrees then tension disappears and smoothly goes into 'Fire'.

I checked the Geissele trigger, and it does appear to have a bit of wear on the one of the rear tangs of the trigger that sits at the back of the receiver where I believe the safety contacts it.

I'm trying to understand why it only binds for 45 degrees near 'Safe'. Ironically, I fixed a friend's gun today who was complaining his safety selector was too stiff so I snipped two coils off the safety selector spring. Must have jinxed me.

In the morning I'll try to swap out the safety and the trigger. I've installed a Geissele S2S in my other gun using the same safety/lpk kit/lower setup w/o any issues.
    Last edited by 3is; 10-02-15 at 03:20.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I had a similar thing happen once with a poor quality LPK. In my case it was a poorly machined safety selector. Replaced it and everything worked fine. Also had a different problem with a safety selector on another build (Well Known manufacturer) where the detents were poorly machined into the selector. I doubt the trigger is the problem.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Tried with different safety today. No luck. Either receiver or I'm guessing trigger

Update. Tried with geissele sd-c smooth as butter. Tricon was part of the problem. Not sure if it was the sole culprit but sdc solved it.
    Last edited by 3is; 10-02-15 at 16:22. Reason: Update

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 3is View Post
    Tried with different safety today. No luck. Either receiver or I'm guessing trigger

Update. Tried with geissele sd-c smooth as butter. Tricon was part of the problem. Not sure if it was the sole culprit but sdc solved it.
    Did you swap springs as well (particularly the detent spring), or just the actual safety lever?

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    Did you swap springs as well (particularly the detent spring), or just the actual safety lever?
    I didn't even put in a detent setup. The safety would bind after the hammer was installed.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Thus is a relatively common post. The quality of the safety selector components in your usual run of LPKs is variable, likewise the FCG. I haven't had a rifle in years test didn't have a BAD ambi safety selector installed. They are excellent and work uniformly well.
    Last edited by Hmac; 10-03-15 at 06:08.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    The back of the trigger is going to ride on the safety when the safety is engaged. When I do trigger adjustments by putting a set screw up through the grip screw hole, i take out the pretravel of the trigger. This in turn moves the back top of the trigger closer to a beyond the flat on the safety bar. I file the middle of the safety for clearence to allow the trigger be adjusted to remove more pretravel. I would look at those tolerances to see if the safety is rubber on the trigger before fully engaged. I am assuming you are activating the safety on a cocked hammer and not on the hammer while it is forward. If the hammer is not cocked then the safety will not set to safe.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by joedirt199 View Post
    The back of the trigger is going to ride on the safety when the safety is engaged. When I do trigger adjustments by putting a set screw up through the grip screw hole, i take out the pretravel of the trigger. This in turn moves the back top of the trigger closer to a beyond the flat on the safety bar. I file the middle of the safety for clearence to allow the trigger be adjusted to remove more pretravel. I would look at those tolerances to see if the safety is rubber on the trigger before fully engaged. I am assuming you are activating the safety on a cocked hammer and not on the hammer while it is forward. If the hammer is not cocked then the safety will not set to safe.
    I'll try that with the next build for my 7.62x39 upper. I'm fairly certain I'm gonna have to grind down the center on the selector switch or maybe geissele will be able to replace the trigger for me. Either way I'll figure out something to make it work.

But the sdc has been working just fine so far with the original safety so I can safely say that the safety is not the only factor for the binding.