BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    No that's what the four rules are for.
    What were you suggesting I do with my eyes?
    VISUALLY CHECK IT. CHECK IT TWICE.

If it ain't cleared it ain't cleared.

Night work in the apparatus. ASSUMING it's cleared because you jacked it twice (and had this nagging suspicion, but you didn't break out a light).

An M4 going off (even following the 4 Rules) in a closed space is awfully loud (even WITH hearing pro on).

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    So the unanswered question is:

Why didn't the round fire?

No powder in the case?
    No flash hole?
    The primer backed part way out or fell all the way out while chambering. It happens with loose pockets.

A high or loose primer can slow the firing pin enough before bottoming in the pocket that it will not be struck hard enough to spark.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've never run a Dillon press that I couldn't feel the primer seat.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikill Drengr View Post
    I've never run a Dillon press that I couldn't feel the primer seat.
    youve obviously never run a 1050 then. It seats on the stroke, not a push. Its one of the main reasons, IMO, that the 1050 can be run so fast. Its done through a push rod system similar to a valve train in a car engine. There is no feel and primer seating depth is controlled by setting the length on the push rod on the tool head.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    If you learn nothing else from this it should be.... Cycling the CH twice doesn't mean the gun is safe. That's what your eyes are for.
    When I was a kid, I had an old Sears .22 rifle with the tubular mag. I'd unload it, then rack the bolt back 4 or five times. Then pull the trigger to let off the spring tension. Last time I did that, extractor had apparently gone bad and I zipped one through the wall of my bedroom.

I've ALWAYS done a visual on the chamber since that day.

Sent from my iPhone

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    No that's what the four rules are for.
    What were you suggesting I do with my eyes?
    He is suggesting you clear the weapon rather than do the motions.

Luckily nothing bad happened. It happens, everyone has a mistake once. Learn and adapt from it.

Corrosion is often found when dissimilar metals are in contact in the presence of moisture and various chemicals. I doubt your barrel was harmed, just an ugly case with a loose primer pocket.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    Corrosion is often found when dissimilar metals are in contact in the presence of moisture and various chemicals. I doubt your barrel was harmed, just an ugly case with a loose primer pocket.
    +1, I doubt the chamber was harmed as well, Noveske N4 light barrels are made from FN M249 barrel steel and with almost double the chrome lining thickness. I typically see the same amount of carbon fouling on your cartridge case from suppressed - the blow back cakes the top section of magazine and the immediate rounds following. As NongShim eluded to, galvanic corrosion occurs when two dissimilar metals or alloys are coupled while exposed to an electrolyte. The less noble/more reactive metal in the environment will experience the corrosion, while the inert metal, the cathode, will be protected from corrosion - in your case the chrome lined chamber. If there is some residual scaling in the chamber from the case, nothing a chamber mop with a little Mother's Mag finish or Flitz wouldn't fix.

Feedback Score
    From all the night ranges I have done, we would use flashlights to inspect chambers and magazine wells were clear.

That's what I do now at least.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    would imagine the reason it didn't go to battery is the primer was falling out as it was being feed into the chamber and the bolt scooped it along to the stopping point. have had this happen a couple times with different results , one being hot primer ended up under the trigger, the other one wedged in the lugs of the bolt and chamber blocking it open on the next round till I looked at the chamber and shook it out

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast