Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermediate length gas system

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

Intermediate length gas system

Out of curiosity what exactly is intermediate? Is that another term for Mid-length? Was looking at Noveske 18" Barrel for a MK12ish build. And was curious as to the exact meaning of intermediate.
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    AFAIK just another term for "midlength". It's probably actually a better term.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Just going off of the Noveske web-site here, but the 14.5 and 16.1 are listed as mid-length, whereas the 18 is listed as intermediate, which seems to indicate that the two are different. The pics also seem to indicate that the gas block position on the intermediate maintains about 6" of barrel forward of the block.

This is pure speculation on my part though.

ETA- From Noveske's web-site:
    Since the development of the 18" SPR barrel, there has not been a proper gas port placement to work with the desirable barrel length. Now there is a perfect combination, introducing the "Intermediate Length" gas system. Developed by Vltor Weapon Systems, and perfected by Noveske Rifleworks, the intermediate length gas system offers the ideal gas port placement, providing maximum accuracy and reliability. Overall, the intermediate length gas system (1.5" shorter then a rifle length) was developed from feedback from end users and industry professionals. Accuracy and reliability are the best characteristics of the intermediate length gas system.
    Last edited by Failure2Stop; 07-30-08 at 07:22. Reason: quote
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    So it's not a middy and not a rifle length. That is interesting to say the least now I wonder would a DD 9 lite rail or a DD 12 lite rail do the trick?
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Feedback Score
    Hello,

The intermediate is a gas system of it's own, and it's listed in the 5 different lengths of replacement gas tubes that he sells. http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...play.cgi?cat=9
    Gun-control is created by scum-tyrants, enforced by oath-breakers and supported by fools that's too ignorant to understand the Importance of being Armed.

When America was a "free country", people could mail order machine guns without question - and that's how it should still be.

I'd rather beat a bad guy to death with my Browning Hi-Power, than shoot him dead with a 'plastic' pistol.

If your path demands you to walk through Hell, walk like you own the place.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    It's gas system length between midlength and rifle length, ideal for 18" barrels. IIRC it was designed by VLTOR.
    Chief Armorer for Elite Shooting Sports in Manassas VA
    Chief Armorer for Corp Arms (FFL 07-08/SOT 02)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    gotm4 is correct - the intermediate length system is longer than a midlength, and shorter than a rifle length system. It's actually 1.5" shorter than a rifle length system and utilizes an intermediate length gas tube. This enables the gas block to be protected just inside a rifle-length rail.

eric at vltor thought it up, and had a two vltor-marked sample barrels made up with the intermediate system. i have one of them and featured it as part of my DD lite 12.0 build writeup back in october of '06 (it's the bottom paragraph):
    http://www.militarymorons.com/weapons/ar.uppers.html#dd

vltor was planning on offering it last year, but got too busy. i'm not sure where the project stands - i had forgotten about it.

updated to add:
    just spoke to eric at vltor - the project continued/materialized as the noveske SPR barrel. from noveske's website:
    "Since the development of the 18" SPR barrel, there has not been a proper gas port placement to work with the desirable barrel length. Now there is a perfect combination, introducing the "Intermediate Length" gas system. Developed by Vltor Weapon Systems, and perfected by Noveske Rifleworks, the intermediate length gas system offers the ideal gas port placement, providing maximum accuracy and reliability. Overall, the intermediate length gas system (1.5" shorter then a rifle length) was developed from feedback from end users and industry professionals. Accuracy and reliability are the best characteristics of the intermediate length gas system."

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    They ought to make a few barrels in .308.
    "Life is short, but the years are long." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Is anyone here running a 16" Intermediate Length Rifle.
    May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    HOLY NECRO!!!

that said the 16" intermediate would not make sense, intermediate is for 18" barrels, middy is made for 16" barrels

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast