Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Intermediate length gas system

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoochild View Post
    Out of curiosity what exactly is intermediate? Is that another term for Mid-length? Was looking at Noveske 18" Barrel for a MK12ish build. And was curious as to the exact meaning of intermediate.
    No, it's a length between mid and rifle.
    Perfect for an 18".

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How much difference is there between intermediate and SR15 length? All I keep reading is "fraction of an inch". Also is it ahead of or behind the SR15?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    So how does a 16" intermediate compare to an 18" rifle system for smooth-idity?
    HIPPIES SMELL

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Very similar, is the short answer.

Its very hard to compare gas systems just on length to barrel length. There are other factors, such as gas port size, buffer weight, spring, carrier weight etc.

To Joe, I can't remember the exact number on the KAC gas system, but I think the SR15 is about .4" shorter than the Noveske/Vltor intermediate.

The Noveske/Vltor places the gas port 11.5" from the standing face of the receiver.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TCBA_Joe View Post
    How much difference is there between intermediate and SR15 length? All I keep reading is "fraction of an inch". Also is it ahead of or behind the SR15?
    According to Wes from MSTN, the Noveske "intermediate" gas system is .4" longer (~11.5" from the gas port) than the KAC "intermediate" gas system (~11.1" from the gas port).

Here's a useful image comparing the standard carbine, midlength, and rifle length gas tubes with the Noveske "intermediate" gas tube.
    Last edited by justin_247; 07-02-12 at 23:46.

Feedback Score
    Rather than start a new thread I will keep it here. Does anyone know what size the 16" intermediate barrels gas port diameter is?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by archad View Post
    Rather than start a new thread I will keep it here. Does anyone know what size the 16" intermediate barrels gas port diameter is?
    There is only one manufacturer that I know of who is doing an actual intermediate gas system on 16" barrels. They are Noveske barrels made for MSTN. They are fairly rare, so you might want to call them.

I wouldn't rely on KAC's port diameter since it's their own proprietary design that is slightly longer (~.5" I believe).
    Last edited by Onyx Z; 06-04-14 at 17:03.

Feedback Score
    The KAC tube is shorter.

Feedback Score
    KAC intermediate is between mid and rifle length I believe

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by archad View Post
    If I remember right my intermediate 16" was 0.0937, but its been a few years since I've had my hands on one.

The KAC intermediate is about .40" shorter in length than the Vltor/Noveske/MSTN intermediate.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast