Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Load data for Barnes 85 gr Match Burner

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Curious why bfoosh006 deleted his replies almost 2 years after the posts.

Anyway. Looks like TAC is the powder we're going to play with for these bullets. Everything else I have is either too fast or won't fit into the case.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'd love to get these in my hands before the weekend. Here's a snip from Barnes website I grabbed due to the overwhelming interest in this glorious topic.

"What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I have been trying some of these out. Not much data yet, I need to shoot them at distance.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    I have been trying some of these out. Not much data yet, I need to shoot them at distance.
    Pappabear mentioned that he could remember the Military 87 gr load needing more come up than our regular 77gr OTM load at 1000 yards. So I'm not at all expecting super flat shooting glory. I think they'll be fun though.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The tracking on these says they should arrive tomorrow by 7pm.

I wanted to be done shooting some by tomorrow by that time.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I've handloaded these pretty successfully (and then shot Barnes' factory loading of it which easily out-shot my handload). I was wondering why no mention of these in another thread I was reading yesterday about and 86 grainer by Barnes...? Then this thread showed up which I had previously missed. I was loading it with RL15.

Now that spring has sprung I'm out doing more of this. I have an HM Defense Monoblock barrel (gas block is integral to the barrel) that's been giving me really good groups with just about any ammo outside of absolute econo-fodder. I had it out the other day not really testing the gun but working with a newish scope and using a new spotting scope and trying a new target format.... and some handloads that came to me as part of a good friend's estate. With 75 Hornady factory loads using the T2 bullet I got .610, .620, and a few others in that 'hood, nothing over .820. I've tested Hornady 75's quite a bit over the years in handloads and factory loads and it seems like the 75's are a little harder to get to shoot great than say 77 SMK's or 77 Noslers. So I really was not expecting these results from a factory load. My pal's handloads with 53 SMK's and 748 also breezed sub MOA.

Anyway back to the 85 Match Burners. I have some HL's left over from about 2017 or whenever they came out that I will now include in my little test where I crimp some and compare. This gun groups well enough to see any dif, I think. Prior to the 85 Match Burner I'd have guessed we'd never see a mag-able bullet in that weight. I must say that Barnes has sure been a leader in doing unusual / unexpected / previously-not-thought-possible things in bullet design-- Hornady too. These two are kinda leaving the rest in the dust.... just my view.

Edit: found a pic of some 500 yd shooting with the 85 Match Burner. Not sure the barrel but probably a Wilson Super Sniper 1/8 or my old Sabre Defence heavy stainless 1/8. Not claiming "amazing" here but 9 of 10 into about 1.3MOA at 500Y, with handloads the way I do them (not going to extremes), I thought they were pretty good bullets.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ned Christiansen View Post
    I've tested Hornady 75's quite a bit over the years in handloads and factory loads and it seems like the 75's are little harder to get to shoot great than say 77 SMK's or 77 Noslers.
    Yeah. I subbed some 75s into my usual 77 nosler load, and the accuracy indeed seemed to drop off a bit. Interesting that their factory load tightens it back up.

Anyway back to the 85 Match Burners. I have some HL's left over from about 2017 or whenever they came out that I will now include in my little test where I crimp some and compare. This gun groups well enough to see any dif, I think. Prior to the 85 Match Burner I'd have guessed we'd never see a mag-able bullet in that weight. I must say that Barnes has sure been a leader in doing unusual / unexpected / previously-not-thought-possible things in bullet design-- Hornady too. These two are kinda leaving the rest in the dust.... just my view.
    I kept ordering heavy blem bullets from Midway hopping they would be mag length capable. (they just put a generic rifle bullet pic up) I kept getting these javelins that are single feeders. We busted out the Black hills 87 gr load and last weekend and it got my heavy bullet craving fired up.

I too can't believe they got 87 gr into mag length. My buddy even pulled one down and weighed it. I wish I had some RL15 too. But a pound of TAC will get me through the 200 bullets I have coming. If I love them, I'll figure out how to get powder to run them.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I will be most interested in your results. Compared to you I am but a dabbler :-)

Yeah, 87's. I was surprised I had not heard that BHA was loading such. And it's a Barnes, right? So are they now making an 85 and an 87....? I don't see them on the BHA site.

On the Barnes 85 MB, well, it's not very sleek so I guess that's where they put the weight, into a blunter ogive and not the length.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    The 87 gr is from some sort of special run from 2009 for (rumored) some Naval Special Warfare unit. It doesn't appear to exist anywhere. But the 85 is close enough for me to play with.

I'll put a pick of the 85 and the 87 gr projectiles together with a 77 Nozzie for reference this weekend.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    77 gr Nozzy, 85 gr Match Burner, and 87gr Barnes by the BH loaded 87 gr ammo on clip.

Definitely a different boat tail between 85 and 87 gr bullet.

Last edited by markm; 04-30-22 at 20:38.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast