Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Load data for Barnes 85 gr Match Burner

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corse View Post
    That looks great. I might need to duplicate this. What rifle are you using?
    This was shot with the Geissele super duty.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Having this amazingly accurate rifle with a 4-16 scope helps a lot. Makes me wonder how many AR's we all have that shoot lights out but they sport Aimpoints so we really never know how accurate the rifles are??

We had a couple popped primers but not like weeks before and Mark loaded a FAT tray of nice 556 ammo that was a C hair too long to fit in AR's but ran nicely in the 5R bolt gun. Mark but he was fkn pissed about the long ammo, LOL. Hey any 556 ammo is good 556 ammo, there is always work to get done!

PB
    Last edited by Pappabear; 06-26-22 at 20:00.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I agree with opsoff1. I actually don't use ball for anything anymore.... except H335 for night shoot muzzle flash circus loads.
    Off topic but I was shooting Xterminator out of a 10.5” LMT and noticed huge balls of muzzle flash out of an A2 even in the noon day, cloudless sunshine.

It was insane. I can’t wait to try it at night on a braked 10.3”

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    Off topic but I was shooting Xterminator out of a 10.5” LMT and noticed huge balls of muzzle flash out of an A2 even in the noon day, cloudless sunshine.

It was insane. I can’t wait to try it at night on a braked 10.3”
    It’s a “ ball of fire “ experience. But if you want fireworks try that H335 for that fireball experience.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Retested the 22.3 gr TAC, Fed AR Match primer combo, and it's the final load for sure. Great accuracy, and no popped primers.

It still amazes me how big of an impact the primer can have on a load.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Revisiting these heavies with a box of Barnes Factory ammo inbound. And also adding the Nosler 85gr RDF bullet to the research.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Lord this topic is popular!

I loaded some head to head tests, Match Burner vs. RDF with Both TAC (a new lot) and VV135. The RDF is a VERY 'pointy' bullet requiring a dramatic adjustment on the seating die to get it to mag length. I wish I could haul my loading set up out to the range and finish load work up in one day, but we'll see what happens.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Wow are these RDFs impressive. Will definitely work AR Mag length, which I was worried about.

I'm still working up a load with N135 so my velocities are still modest.

But we shot the RDFs against factory, hot Barnes Match burners which were over 2700 out of a Tikka 23.75 inch barrel. RDFs were just over 2600, but were about a Mil flatter at 1000 yards.

Still just getting started with the development/safe pressure, but looks really promising.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Lord this topic is popular!

I loaded some head to head tests, Match Burner vs. RDF with Both TAC (a new lot) and VV135. The RDF is a VERY 'pointy' bullet requiring a dramatic adjustment on the seating die to get it to mag length. I wish I could haul my loading set up out to the range and finish load work up in one day, but we'll see what happens.
    Lee made a portable single cartridge kit, not sure if they have 223/556. I've used the one in 308 win and took extra primed brass. Not the best solution but can save a trip or 2.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I probably have a arbor seating die, but there's no solid surfaces to set up a scale and press at our spot.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast