Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tactical/Hunting bolt gun

Feedback Score

Tactical/Hunting bolt gun

Really wanting to build a custom rifle that can double for range use out to 1000y and as a deer slaying weapon. Really interested in 6.5 Creedmoor as it excels at range and is great against deer and even larger animals. I kinda want to buy a factory rifle in (.308) and get it rebarreled with a nice 6.5 creedmoor barrel and have the action and barrel finished in multicam or something similar. Obviously I'll want a stock that can lend it self to percision shooting but I also don't want it to weigh a ton so I can lug it around easily while hunting. Curious what barrel lengths work best with this round and who to look at for parts. Kinda of leaning towards getting a tikka LH bolt gun for the build. My cousin tells me tikka actions are super nice and don't need to be blueprinted like the remmy actions do. I'm out of my element when it comes to bolt guns so any help is appreciated. Also what kind of glass would be a good fit for this? This is a project im gonna build over time first part is getting the donor rifle.
    Last edited by graffex; 10-05-15 at 16:12.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Either get a hunting rifle or a tactical rifle (or both). A good tactical precision rifle will be heavy as balls to trek around with. Also depending on the terrain, you'll probably have different scopes anyway.
    People start out wanting to do shooting as a hobby and it ends up their hobby is actually buying and operating expensive tools. Doesn't make sense when you think about it.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johnson View Post
    Either get a hunting rifle or a tactical rifle (or both). A good tactical precision rifle will be heavy as balls to trek around with. Also depending on the terrain, you'll probably have different scopes anyway.
    Not interested in two guns I want to meet both criteria with one gun.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    6.5cm owner here. Stiller/element/Beast/bartlien 26" med palma. mine weighs 12 pounds loaded with the scope I think. Can you say laser beam ??? This is my hunting/paper puncher. 7.6 mils elevation @ 1000 yards. I have never enjoyed shooting a bolt as much as this gun.

I would go light palma contour and action/chassis of your choice. What's your budget ?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    You could always get something like this: http://proofresearch.com/the-products/rifles/tac-ii/

Accurate, a tactical stock, light weight... it has everything. But it's pricey.
    "I never learned from a man who agreed with me." Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    WAYYYYY outta my price range. As I said I want to get something I can build on. Tikka, Remington ect.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    What is the maximum weight you will allow for rifle, scope, base and rings?

What is the preferred maximum length?
    Train 2 Win

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by T2C View Post
    What is the maximum weight you will allow for rifle, scope, base and rings?

What is the preferred maximum length?
    I'm thinking no longer than 24" barrel wise and if I can keep it around 10-11 pounds I'm happy, but the lighter the better.
    Last edited by graffex; 10-06-15 at 07:23.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Check out the Tikka T3 CTR in either .260 Remington or .308. Smooth as butter action, 10 round metal mag and a 20" threaded barrel. You should be able to find one for $850 - $950.

Feedback Score
    Yeah my cousin has one of those in .260 dropped into the whiskey chassis. Nice gun.

Edit: his is the sporter not the ctr.
    Last edited by graffex; 10-06-15 at 13:56.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast