Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first grendel build

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Well the grendel performed nicely this deer season. Just used my 223 10 round magpul for hunting since it holds 5 grendel rounds.

So have been hunting for over 20 years and used 303 british, fn fal, savage 10fp 308, NEF single shot 308, 5.56 AR and now my new AR Grendel. Well the season in Missouri started off slow with only one guy in our group of 6 getting a nice 8 point. Most saw small does and button bucks but nothing nice. I didn't see anything all week and after 2 days of constant rain and wind, I decided to get my butt out of bed and go out thursday morning.

I don't hunt tree stands because I can't stand to sit still for hours on end. I ground hunt and walk from stump - down tree - rock to sit on. Got tired of hunting the open woods that the cows keep all the small brush down and went into some thicker woods. Not much to sit on in those as the under brush and small trees made it harder to see. Stopped for a second and a nice buck is walking straight at me from 15-20 yards away. I stand perfectly still and he stops to sniff the air. Looks at me then puts his head down and continues to walk toward me. Gets to about 10 yards and starts to pass me. As I turn my head to keep an eye on him he must have seen my head turn and stops to look right at me. Huffs at me then trots away.

Now's my chance. I keep my midway weaver tactical grandslam on 3x so spotting the deer was easy, just had to get a good angle. Saw a little of the side and popped off the round. Went in just behind the right rear ribcage and could not find an exit. Ran 10-15 yards dragging its back end so I knew I hit it good. Of course they run down hill and that makes dragging fun by yourself with no four wheeler.

Here is what I found

After all those years I am not a trophy hunter and prefer the taste of doe meat. I will say that it felt good to shoot a nice buck. 9 points as one of the brow tines was broke off. Lucky my father in law was still home and found me with his truck to drive us back to the cabin so I could get it hung up and deboned.

I process my own deer and can it with beef fat and beef boullion. No freezing and is cooked ready to go right out of the jar. Well 70 jars later we are done.

While cutting up the meat I found this.

Didn't find it when deboning but I think it got in behind the front left shoulder. Hornady 123 SST I thought it zipped right through both sets of ribs but it expanded well.

Not going to mount it as I think that is silly to spend that kind of money for a wall ornament so looking for help in doing a european mount. Heard you can boil the meat off or buy beatles and a large plastic tub and let the beatles do the hard work.

Feedback Score
    nice deer and awesome story, thank you for sharing. a good mount you can pass it down generations to generations
    Using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Howdy joedirt,

Nice buck!

Looks like you, the 6.5 and the bullet did its job.

Paul

Feedback Score
    Rather than buying beetles just use ants. Excellent work!
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Feedback Score
    Boiling can shrink the skull. You can bury it, but you have to protect the rack from squirrels. Most of the guys I know that have done the beetle route have been happy with the results.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12