View Poll Results: Which optic do you prefer in a SHTF situation?

Voters
102. You may not vote on this poll
  • ACOG that you can't send off to replace the element due to the SHTF situation.

40 39.22%
  • Aimpoint Comp M4S and plenty of Energizer Ultimate Lithium AA Batteries but can't resupply.

36 35.29%
  • A third alternative (Please discuss in the thread).

26 25.49%
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: SHTF ACOG vs. Aimpoint dilemma, what's your take?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I was on the phone with AP for something unrelated to EMP, and asked them because...why not? They explained that the AP has a very small amount of "sail area" for the EMP waves to hit, and that it's sortof a Faraday cage, in a way, as well, so it would take a pretty darn strong/direct blast to knock one out. They did not give a more technical answer than that, but I found it sufficient.
    That's pretty neat man, I appreciate the info. That makes sense.
    Power is in tearing human minds to pieces and putting them together again in new shapes of your own choosing. George Orwell, 1984

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    I was on the phone with AP for something unrelated to EMP, and asked them because...why not? They explained that the AP has a very small amount of "sail area" for the EMP waves to hit, and that it's sortof a Faraday cage, in a way, as well, so it would take a pretty darn strong/direct blast to knock one out. They did not give a more technical answer than that, but I found it sufficient.
    This is good to know.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by samuse View Post
    Even after SHTF, you won't be able to see in the dark so you're going to need a couple of good Surefires and plenty of CR123s to keep those going. The light is more important than an illuminated reticle.
    Good point. But it's been my experience out in the boonies that even with a bright light, a non-illuminated reticle is worthless in the dark. I actually could see iron sights better against dense foliage with a light than with a dark reticle. Both were horrible. Maybe just my experience.

The NXS 1-4 with the illumination off works really well at night with a good light. Dial it down to 1X and it's pretty damn close to Aimpoint in the dark.

Six in one, half dozen the other. Nothing wrong with your option, but a Comp M4S that takes AA batteries is still more capable of battery resupply than a scope that takes a CR2032. You could loot an abandoned convenience store and maybe scrounge an AA battery (or your TV remote?). But try finding a CR2032. Same or worse problem with the Aimpoint Pro's oddball battery.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    ACOG hands down. TA33 on both my SHTF carbines.
    My favorite also...and I STILL have to mount it all the way back on the last receiver slot to get good eye relief. That pretty much means it's the only ACOG I'll ever be able to use.

I have 14 years old TA 45 1.5x ACOG that ran out about a year ago and the fiber works great. Just need to send it in to recharge to get another 14 or so years out of it.
    Given the earlier post that you need some kind of illumination for the target to use the ACOG in the dark no matter how much tritium is left, I wonder: if your flashlight is sufficiently bright, would the ACOG's fiber opitc pick up enough light that the reticle is lit even with dead or weak tritium?

Food for thought.

So the solution in that scenario is to pick the ACOG for its fiber optic and make damn sure you have enough flashlight batteries to last until the end of time.

Feedback Score
    274 (99%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    My favorite also...and I STILL have to mount it all the way back on the last receiver slot to get good eye relief. That pretty much means it's the only ACOG I'll ever be able to use.

Given the earlier post that you need some kind of illumination for the target to use the ACOG in the dark no matter how much tritium is left, I wonder: if your flashlight is sufficiently bright, would the ACOG's fiber opitc pick up enough light that the reticle is lit even with dead or weak tritium?

Food for thought.

So the solution in that scenario is to pick the ACOG for its fiber optic and make damn sure you have enough flashlight batteries to last until the end of time.
    Yes, with a flashlight on it does lightvup the reticle.
    In no way do I make any money from anyone related to the firearms industry.

"I have never heard anyone say after a firefight that I wish that I had not taken so much ammo.", ME

"Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas !", General Sam Houston

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Good to know. I'm not really worried about scope optics if there is an EMP- if it's strong enough to affect them, my house is probably gonna burn down anway from the copper wires catching fire.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by docsherm View Post
    Yes, with a flashlight on it does lightvup the reticle.
    Given that, the tritium is--not necessarily a luxury--but no longer the weak link.

The flashlight batteries then become the weak link.

That makes the Aimpoint even less relevant because then you have TWO things that depend on batteries instead of just one.

ACOG is GTG forever with sufficient ambient illumination (I'm assuming civilian use where you won't have that $3,000 night vision scope).

Aimpoint is a paperweight without batteries.

That means get an ACOG, and focus instead on choosing the proper light/battery combo to compliment it.

I think we're getting somewhere.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I agree, Glockster.

A lower-cost alternative to the ACOG is something like the Vortex Strike Eagle which uses a battery to illuminate an etched reticle. You'll lose all your illumination, but still have a reticle that shows up in black.

I already have an ACOG, so my opinion on this one is unfairly biased.

Slightly off topic, but for those of you who have had ARs longer than me (probably everyone else here), how long do you wait before you send in your ACOG for a new lamp? Is it subjective, or is there a commonly-used timeline?
    Last edited by sevenhelmet; 10-09-15 at 09:57.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    52 (98%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    Good point. But it's been my experience out in the boonies that even with a bright light, a non-illuminated reticle is worthless in the dark. I actually could see iron sights better against dense foliage with a light than with a dark reticle. Both were horrible. Maybe just my experience.

Six in one, half dozen the other. Nothing wrong with your option, but a Comp M4S that takes AA batteries is still more capable of battery resupply than a scope that takes a CR2032. You could loot an abandoned convenience store and maybe scrounge an AA battery (or your TV remote?). But try finding a CR2032. Same or worse problem with the Aimpoint Pro's oddball battery.
    I do a LOT of night shooting and for me irons are basically useless in the dark even with a 1000 lumen light. I've used my NXS 1-4 w/FC3g reticle in the dark quite a bit and it's pretty much just as good with the reticle off inside of 30 yards or so. A front post looking through an Aimpoint is pretty handy as it's a visual index to help acquire a washed out dot.

My Aimpoint is an M4s.

Feedback Score
    I voted Aimpoint. I have the M4s now and absolutely love it. It's built like a tank, the batteries last a long time, and it's very fast on close in surprise defensive engagements. (My main concern) I would love to try the ACOG one day. I've only looked through them. I think that would be the better offensive optic, I'm just more concerned with defense as I don't see any SHTF turning into an EOTWAWKI deal. I'm thinking that the rule of law will always return, even if it does take a few years. Should I survive, I don't want to answer for too many "offensive" engagements to the new regime. Then again, if the new regime is real bad, that could be the EOTWAWKI. Irons are a must first, then the optic.
    You know what I like best about most people?

Their dogs.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast