Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IMI 9 MM HP ammo

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Personal guess here, and I could be wrong, is that their performance is likely to be lacking. 115gr JHP has never impressed in 9mm and I don't and won't carry it. Generally prefer 147gr or 124gr depending on the gun and ammo, and what the gun shoots well. That said, for 220 for a case of the stuff, unless IMI 9mm ball is even cheaper I am seriously considering buying a case or two of this stuff and using it far range fodder, or as a hedge bet, if one were to be inclined, for the next election. I mean if you buy cheap in prep for a panic last time 9mm ball was like $35 a box of 50 where I was at, JHP was more.

All of that said, I am in the position of needing more 9mm like I need a whole in the head.
    Yeah, I didn't expect that they would perform that well, just curious to see any expansion results. In one of the videos I watched the bullet traveled through four layers of denim and five gallon jugs of water with no expansion. Regardless, I still picked up a case of this stuff because that's still a good price.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The IMI chronos 1158 fps from a 4" barrel, nearly identical to 115gr Gold Dot.

I tested them through single 4" thick water jugs and the IMI seemed to expand more than the Gold Dot.

No, I DONT think this is better or even equal to Gold Dot.

I expect the IMI to perform similarly to Federal 9BP.
    Last edited by Clint; 10-12-15 at 18:57.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VaeVictis View Post
    Yeah, I didn't expect that they would perform that well, just curious to see any expansion results. In one of the videos I watched the bullet traveled through four layers of denim and five gallon jugs of water with no expansion. Regardless, I still picked up a case of this stuff because that's still a good price.
    Okay. As long as you aren't here to argue that it is the bestest and greatest like some are want to. Maybe I have spent too much on local forums where people still think Black Talons are uber rounds that will kill someone if you hit them in the two, through body armor, and if that are bare chested it makes them explode. I see so many either extreme cheap assholes, or just plain stupid out there when it comes to ballistic understanding that it is just sad. The unfortunate side affect to that is that whenever I see someone asking about the performance, expansion, or what have you of cheap JHP I immediately think that they are wanting it to be as good or better than actual proven and premium JHP. Personal testing with other cheap jhp loads have made me get to the point of just sticking with the proven and tested loadings.
    That said, yeah, it is an awesome price and if you need some 9mm to put up, it can't be worse than shooting someone with an FMJ if shit hits the fan.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    The IMI chronos 1158 fps from a 4" barrel, nearly identical to 115gr Gold Dot.

I tested them through single 4" thick water jugs and the IMI seemed to expand more than the Gold Dot.

No, I DONT think this is better or even equal to Gold Dot.

I expect the IMI to perform similarly to Federal 9BP.
    That's interesting, this video of the Federal 9BP shows the round expanding well through bare gelatin and T-shirt fabric. But when it comes to denim first it seems to clog and not expand at all. I think you may be right on the money with your comparison.

Feedback Score
    As someone who has shot a ton of Israeli ammo, used to get paid to shoot.

We have some great ammo, but our hollowpoint ammo has never impressed me with how it performs on expansion.

I also don't care for 115 grain 9mm, like it to be at least 124 grn.

I for one wouldn't loose sleep over if ammo expands, when it comes to terminal performance. We were forced for years to carry ball ammo and when you shoot the terrorist in the right places it works.Attachment 35432

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wideners View Post
    This ammunition has a very hard primer and it designed for the full sized pistols.
    Truth.

Last range trip, I had 3 fail to fires out of 60 rounds.

All 3 fired on the second pull, demonstrating one advantage of SA/DA.

I was testing the P-07 with a 15# gold hammer spring and CGW light firing pin spring with a modified stock firing pin.

Primer hits looked shallow and were often volcano shaped.

The CGW extended firing pin was immediately swapped back in upon hitting the work bench.
    Last edited by Clint; 11-05-15 at 20:30.
    Black River Tactical

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Many thousands of rounds thru Glocks with no issues. If one gets light primer hits, go back to a real world, full power spring.
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Just got back from a quick range trip.

Same setup as before except for the CGW extended firing pin.

All 50 rounds lit without issue.

Primer hits looked normal with good depth.
    Black River Tactical

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10MMGary View Post
    For those looking for an outstanding 9MM HP round at a very fair price. However do please take their warning on hard primers & compact 9's seriously. I have shot a 1K case of this through a G17 with no issues, at 15 yards it was basically one ragged hole repeatedly.
    https://www.wideners.com/itemdetail....100001732&dir=
    I wish it was 124gr, or better yet 147gr.
    Last edited by Abraxas; 11-05-15 at 21:10.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12